How important is manual program changing

Some HAs have automatic program changing, some manual and some both. Since I have never worn an HA, I have the following questions on programs:

1. Is manual program changing really necessary if you have an automatic program?

2. How often do you really change the program? It would seem to me that once you get used to hearing more and better, that is wouldn’t be used very often.

I plan on ordering some HAs by no later than next week, so I will be able to quit asking questions that are probably really silly to experienced HA users.

For my money, I prefer the ability to change manually from one program to another. The reason is because the hearing aid does not know what you want to listen too at any given moment in any given accoustic environment. I have a program that is listening all around; another is listening for speech directly in front and directly behind me-good for in noisy places; another program has a wider dynamic range-good for music; another is the T coil for telephone use. I use them all as and when required. I also have a volume control- this is a must have. All of which is my opinion of course.:wink:

Thank you withears. Your opinion is exactly what I was looking for. Do you change the program several times a day or just on occaision?

None of the HAs I have been looking at have volume controls, just program changes. I thought this was odd, but it seems that it is a feature that many folks don’t think is necessary anymore. I appreciate your opinion.

Dear Mike:

Most of the results from the internal memory of the hearing aids I have fitted (datalogging) shows that an overwhemly number of clients use 95% only one program. Generally you have the aid set so that speech is optimize. The purpose of a dedicated program is to have the aid re calibate for an specific listening need. One example is music, many authors suggest to set the aid linear, no feedback cancellation or noise reduction when listeing to music. With this adjustmenst you should be able to enjoy a better music experience.
However, if you were to use those adjustment in your daily day life you would probably be complaining about the sound of the aid. Hence the need of a Program…

The market trend is to have automatic products, for example the newer products coming are all going to have auto telefone where they will automatically switch from M to T…

An interesting application are the new high end instruments, I will talk about Siemens e to e and oticon Rise arquitecture.
For example, it is interesting that for example you can program the rigth aid for volume control and the left for program

so when you press the right up BOTH right and left will increase in volume (gain) and when you press the aid in the other ear both of them are going to change the progam (pretty cool right)

Most aids have not also a mute function if you press the program change for a 5 sec or something…

Finally, I have always suggests remote controls if the manufactures makes it.
Phonak has very discrete remote controls disguised as a key so that if you are in need to raise your volume, people wont guess what you are doing

Recall Prilosec

xbulder,
Thank you so much for that great info. I was leaning toward the Rexton Revera, because I liked the ability to switch both programs from one aid with the e to e. Being able to control volume with the other one is a very cool feature. You have helped me to make up my mind.

Since it is so easy to just push a button on the HA, why is the remote that important? It would seem like it is just something extra to keep in my pocket.

I’ve worn Widex Diva, America Hears and GN Resound aids over the last 5 years, and I’m squarely in the one program, no volume control camp. The Divas had no volume control, but has a T-coil and music program I never used.

The AH Freedom ADs have a volume control and 4 programs - normal, restaurant, telephone (but no t-coil) and music. I would switch from normal to restaurant when needed, but never used the other programs. And I never adjusted the volume control from a set position that I chose when I first started wearing the aids.

My GN Resound Pulse’s have one program and no volume control, and with the thin-tube open fit with tulip domes, I forget I’m wearing them. And I can hear very well in the situations I encounter daily.

I even demo’ed the Azure before deciding on the Pulse’s. The Azure’s had 4 programs, normal, noise, t-coil and music, and I stayed in the normal program consistently for the just under 30 days I wore them.

i think a automatic t coil is a valuable program…For sure, the senso has them…

None of the aids that U refer have a remote control (sorry azure does im almost sure). So chaging programs one ear @ the time is cumbersome,

It will be interesting to see how other users of phonak + remote control use their hearing aid…

Shaved Pussy Cam

From my experience with Phonak users with remote controls, most rely on the automatic programs by a large margin versus using the manual programs.

Since these devices have data logging, I can see excatly how often they are manually switching and, for most users, it is very rare.

Thus, unless you are dead set on manually changing modes every single day, go with the automatic programs. If you can get a automatic telecoils (easyphone, autocoil, etc), get it.

sometimes you want to change the
volume or program with out pleople noticing right?
say we are in a party and you want to change the program
it is more discrete to reach for the pocket
as oposse to change it from the Hearing aid.

While remote control might not be used at all having the option is what is important… Again what makes sense for one does not for another…
I think it is better the option vs not having it at all

Asshole

I agree xbulder. Better to have the option and not use it, than to need it and not have it.

I got a pair of Unitron Moxi element 16 about a week and a half ago. These are my first HA. I go in Friday to have them programed. I know I want some help in noisey crowded situations. What else am I looking for. I’m really hard of hearing in my rt ear. Should I get them to boost the gain on that side? Will it take many visits to get it right? Should I upgrade to the fully automatic model? Any and all comments from pros appreciated.

if it is not to expensive get the yuu, datalearning is a great thing!

Tatsuo Hasegawa

please explain. What is yuu? Data learning sounds interestine.

please see my posting on E UHA,
it is the last unitron instrument just release

Datalearning is not something new, it was used exclusively by the front runners,

Oticon, Siemens, Phonak

Now that is moving into Unitron and others (rexton) you will see this function appear in lower price instruments…

Basically, datalearning you basicaly teach the instrument as to what is your preference in terms of volume control
and over time you personsalise your hearing aids…

datalearning, in some manuf… are used to learn the types of enviroments so it is not only applied to volume control…

Housewives Webcam

Are there any opinions or experience about the Unitron moxi? I think they just started selling thim in May.

I would personally prefer Phonak UNA its a better value…
However unitron is belongs to SONOVA so most of their products are very similar to Phonak. Hence the quality is good, so Moxi looks like a good product I have seen the specs…
It is just like Siemens and Rexton or Oticon and Bernafon…

One is a larger company with better support/ innovations the other one is smaller but share its technologies…

ROLL BLUNTS