How far to insert earmold into the ear?

OK, now that I have everyone’s attention :wink:

My BTE HA was custom made but at my initial fitting, my Audi thought that maybe it could be a little smaller and offered it for free. She also instructed me to pull on the top of my ear when putting it in but I never felt that made any difference so I just push it in but I’m still not sure it’s in far enough. I also don’t want it to irritate my ear canal too much either.

I gather “it” is a mold?
You would want to be careful not to irritate things with rapid insertions and removals. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, that’s the word I was thinking of, thanks.

I think it’s different for everyone. For me, I have domes, they have to be in as far as I get get them pushed in. I can tell by the distortion when they start working out a little. I talked to a friend yesterday that’s been wearing ITE aids for 30 years and just switched to BTE. She mentioned that she has to pull her domes out, if they get to far in everything sounds like she’s in a tunnel.

1 Like

it all depends on the person, the size of your ear canal, the type of hearing loss, and how bad the hearing loss. We are all different and have different needs and requirements when it comes to ear molds and domes. Most of my hearing aids life I have worn ITE (in the ear) hearing aids, nothing behind the ears. I have also worn hearing aids with domes, and now hearing aids with custom ear molds. My ear canals are large and I need to have almost closed ear molds. When I first started wearing hearing aids needed much larger vents than now. So I guess what I am saying is that as our hearing changes so do our needs for aids and domes/ear molds. Your Audi should know what is best for your needs. Also now days with the modern aids, most hearing aid companies have computer modeling that determines the type of domes/ear molds, and even the needed vents and receiver power. It all comes down to the impressions, and the results of your hearing test and word understanding.

3 Likes