How does Resound compare to new Phonak Audeo-B Direct?

phonak
resound
hearing-aids

It is quite possible that the S-zoom is only disabled during a phone call. Such features require an array of microphones spaced. The phone feature re-purposes the one mic. That would temporarily eliminate any feature using the array for regional discrimination.

Everybody is exercised about having only one ear active. That is what we got with POTS phone for much of our lives and we survived.

The problem witfh the one hearing aid approach is that it reduces clarity and the other hearing aid’s microphone needs to be used as the phone microphone. If the RIC in that ear (i.e. the one being used as the phone mike) isn’t muted, the surrounding noise is going to make it difficult to hear the phone in noisy environments like restaurants, airports, street, etc. In other words, one ear gets the phone conversation while the other ear gets the surrounding noise.

With my Resound Linx3D, both ears get the phone call and the microphones on both hearing aids are muted -10db to keep the surrounding noise out during phone calls. The caller still gets the noise from the iPhone microphone but I don’t hear it at all. This combination makes phone calls a breeze and I no longer have to stress (or pass the phone to my wife) when calls come in in a restaurant.

I’ll be honest, I never realized how stressed I was about phone calls until I got my Linx3D hearing aids and got used to the iPhone integration. It was a big deal for me. The phone clips/neck loops are ok but it’s still something else you have to carry around, charge and fumble with when a call comes in.

Just my 2cents…

Jordan

Ah - GOT IT! I hadn’t noticed the asterisks on the screen till you pointed them out. I did print out the page and will take it to my aud-guy on Tues. ALSO: at the way bottom of that spec sheet, there is a feature called “Environmental Balance” - maybe I can have someone explain that feature, as it is ONLY available on the Audeo B-Direct.

I truly have NO “good ear” and have survived a long phone call with Anthem, the audio streaming into my LEFT ear only. So that took some of my initial stress away. Perhaps I can do this … I’ll have to test it out more, but it appears that when a call comes in on my Samsung, and it streams to the LEFT ear, somehow, the sound in my right aid is also taken down a notch - not completely, so I’d be able to hear someone next to me.

On my Oticon Opn aids, I had a phone program set up to really boost the left aid and cut the right one down to almost nothing. WOW the audio was loud in my left ear, but since I had no streaming mechanism at all for those aids, it was ok. The downside was that if I shifted the phone even a fraction the aids would cycle thru the program: Now ONE! Two! Back to my auto-PHONE if I hit the sweet spot again. It drove me nuts.

I realize the Oticon example is a digression, but I share the experience to again inform others here about the pitfalls of some HA models in regards to a critical function like the phone.

Well, I’d trade you ears. :slight_smile:

The one is better with a severe loss. Bass tends to provide volume rather than understanding. It is a bit less important – other than music. The 8K falloff might make the sibilants a problem with some speakers.

What are your WRS results?

That makes sense for the program to do that. It would focus on the telephone call rather than the environment. If not it would be like trying to talk on the phone with a party going on in the same room. Streaming the telephone call to both ears would be like stepping into a phone booth. It is hard to say if the mics are turned down for that. Do you remember?

LOL! I’ll give you my ears, and you’ll need yours too for any improvement! I didn’t have my aud-guy write down my word recognition after my last test about a year ago … but it wasn’t stellar: maybe 80% at 90db for each ear?

Yes, I actually value the bass as I listen to music on our home hi-fi a LOT! Hubs is an audiophile, and we have some pretty amazing Vivid speakers. Funny thing is that even with my life-long HUGE loss in the hearing dept I have excellent discrimination and perception when it comes to tweaking our hi-fi. We’ll often move the speakers a fraction or try out a new component, cable, or some other piece of equipment in the system, and I am able to pinpoint the difference in a nano-second. Goes to show: it’s all RELATIVE! :- )

Yes - if you mean, do I remember phone streaming to BOTH ears, such as I had with the Oticon Streamer Pro necklace, I’m able to hear some sounds around me (like if someone is next to me asking a question), but the ambient sound is a bit muted. Is that what you mean?

I know you’re an android fan but is it really worth all the bother trying so many solutions and products when you could just trial an iPhone? Just a thought.

Haha, that’s what I did in the end, I bought an iPhone so I can get direct streaming, even though I’m an Android fan and don’t like iOS. My convenience trumps my loyalty to any platform in the end.

I’ve considered it.
I realized that connectivity to a cell phone is one small piece of the puzzle.
Connectivity to every thing else is a much larger piece.
One has to consider the price vs benefit.
For me, I also have to consider what to do with my business land line.

Heh-heh! You have a point there. I use an Apple Macbook Pro and have their iPad, but am not an Apple fan! Not only that, but hubs & I have the identical cell phone, so we can swap them back and forth and know exactly how the UI works. We are both ardent Android fans in that respect. So it’s the DOG wagging the tail for me, and that DOG is my Samsung Galaxy 6S.

That said, if there is a different model of Phonak that DOES stream to multiple devices (say, with a streamer necklace) it may well be worth looking into tomorrow. I do have to emphasize that it’s GREAT to stream hands-free to an Android device, even if it’s just for phone calls. :slight_smile:

I had my follow-up after using the Phonak Audeo B-Direct for several days! At least I thought that’s what I was doing.

To my complete chagrin, I found out I’ve been using these aids in the fully-directional, noisy environment program nearly ALL the time! So how is that possible?

Turns out these Phonak aids cycle thru programs differently than my (many years’ worth of wearing) Oticon aids - of any model. With the Oticons, I’d put the aids on, and they’d be in my default program, Program 1. I’d cycle thru the programs pressing the button: 1-2-3, with each program delivering a single, double, or triple beep.

With the Phonaks, they DO go into default program upon shutting the battery door, but that’s called DEFAULT - and it’s signaled with a musical tune of 4 notes. Press the button once, and I’m (illogically?) in Program ONE, indicated by a single beep; press it again, and I’m in Program TWO, indicated by 2 beeps. Kind of counter-intuitive, and since I didn’t get a lesson in their operation, I was constantly making SURE they were in Program 1, which I thought was default.

No wonder they were scary-directional - to the point that on walks around town, I couldn’t even hear a car come up on me! OK, NOW I get it! So I’m off for another week’s trial with the Default program, Program 1 (directional - for noisy places) and Program 2 (for music - no noise management).

My aud-guy was supposed to have the Phonak TV streamer on hand, but he actually confessed that knowing how important stereophonic streaming was to me, he didn’t bother to even order the TV unit, thinking that the cell phone’s ONE-EAR streaming would be the deal killer. He had a pair of Resound aids on stand-by, thinking that’s what we’d do at the app’t. A U G H. Comedy of errors!

I’m actually LOVING these Phonak Audeo B-Directs! I’m going to keep them, and return next Monday to get the TV streamer.

I asked about the features spec sheet that I took with me (printed out from a link posted here), which lists Calm Situation, Speech-in-Noise, Comfort-in-Noise, Music, Speech-in Car, Comfort-in-Echo (whatever that means), and my aud-guy showed me that in my aids’ set-up program ALL OF THESE are listed. So perhaps we can assume that any of the programs listed on the features spec sheet ARE in the Audeo B-Direct UNLESS there is an asterisk to say otherwise?

I will report back in yet another week, after I get the TV streaming unit and set that up at home. Again, I wish my aud-guy would invest in a TV and demo this right in his office … but at least there is a Tech Kahuna bar none right at home! :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:
Most aids now have a start up signal. I think that’s what you hear.

Them new fangled contraptions get ya every time.

I’ve had three different Phonak hearing aids. When you turn them on, they typically play a little tune and then go right into the fully automatic mode. This mode automatically selects one of many programs depending on the listening environment and automatically changes as the environment changes. This is done seamlessly and you don’t have to actually change programs.

If you do decide to hit the program button, you can manually select any one of the programs that the audiologist setup and it will then stay in that program (vs. changing automatically). Bear in mind that the automatic program is the default program and it may seamlessly cycle between one of 6 or 7 programs without you doing anything. When the audiologist sets up manual programs, they will select some or all of those programs (that the automatic mode uses) to let you manually force the hearing aids into one of the available programs. Hope I haven’t confused you…hehe.

Make sense?

Jordan

TOTALLY makes sense! Thanks so much for spelling this out! I wish my aud-guy had just taken 5 min to tell me the same. After YEARS of wearing Oticons, I was just used to ONE beep = Program One = Default upon start-up. LOL.

Phonaks are a new world for me … and I’m liking it! That is interesting that the default program cycles among several programs to activate the one that best fits an environment. Like an environmental detector.

Now I’m going to have the tough challenge of what to do with the Oticon Opns. Initially, my aud-guy said, “Don’t worry about a THING! Oticon owes me.” But yesterday, he sheepishly said, “Perhaps we could talk about a credit for the Opns…?”

Grrrrrrr. I will take it as a personal challenge to let Oticon know that my purchase of their aids last Dec was contingent upon the clip-on streamer coming out in Q1 2017. I think they muffed up the product release - or should NEVER have promised the clip-on for Android would even be an option.

LOL - the truth! I take SO LONG to get my newfangled aids IN that I never even hear the startup music OR the default tone. Just a lot of “whistlin’ Dixie” till they’re seated properly.
:blush:

You can ask the audiologist to set up the start up chime delay time for the Phonak aids to give you time to get them inserted before they play the chime.

That is a GREAT idea! Cuz seriously, it takes about 15 sec till I carefully insert the receivers into my ear canal. I’ve had probs with them jabbing my ear to the point of sores, so I need to go slooooooooow.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Since you have this HA, I thought you might be able to answer my question. When you answer the phone with your HAs do you have to use a button on the HA or is it possible to use a remote device of some form? The reason I’m asking is that my hands are not always “clean” while working. I’d prefer to push a button on a remote that can be more easily cleaned than my hair and HA.