How does Resound compare to new Phonak Audeo-B Direct?

phonak
resound
hearing-aids

Long story short: I bought my Oticon Opn miniRITE RIE aids last December with the express understanding that a clip-on streamer would be released for Android devices in Q1 2017 for use with my Samsung cell phone. Well, no surprise that first release date was pushed out to June, which came and went, and now we’re hearing “end of year” (um, which year?) for the so-called release.

Well, I had an app’t with my dear aud-guy yesterday and we both agreed: enough is enough! I feel I’ve been mislead and strung along with promises to deliver a VITAL tool to my total hearing solution. I need the aids, phone streamer and TV streamer - thasssal!

So I’m returning to my aud-guy next month to try out either or both: Resound (some kind of 3rd gen aid that has my critical components) and/or Phonak Audeo-B Direct, which my aud-guy will call to get the new release, as this has just come out.

Can anyone speak to the sound quality, performance, reliability, and overall satisfaction with Resound? My only trial of that last year had me discouraged with VERY poor sound quality. But if it has Android phone streaming and TV streaming, maybe I could just have the frequencies tweaked for better sound?

Any advice here is most welcome. And anyone else in the same boat as me with a completely incomplete Oticon solution, I urge you to BONG your audis for a resolution to this absurd situation! The more of us who send a strong message to Oticon, the better. :imp:

All of them have concentrated on directionality for the last couple of years and that has been the major improvement. They all have different names and claims. It seems to boil down to which sounds best to you. You will find satisfied users of either brand.

Oticon hasn’t been very consumer-friendly of late, it seems; I, too, was “taken” by the promise of the ConnectClip.

I’ve been wearing ReSound linx2 9 for about 2 yrs… after MANY adjustments I’m very happy with sound quality… but I believe each individual has their own preferences in tone bass and treble in how they want to hear… as far as streaming I have the TV streamer and it works excellent and I don’t need a collar receiver… I also have a IPhone so I have direct streaming with Bluetooth and it works great… I sometimes forget to turn off Bluetooth and when I’m playing softball and I’m out in the outfield I will get the phone ringing thru my HA’s…I think if you have a android phone you will need the collar receiver?

It will be difficult to find any meaningful comparison yet as the Phonak Audeo B Direct have really only just been released. I doubt anyone has had time to do a comparison yet.

I’m not sure if our comparison page helps, but here’s the LiNX 3D vs the Direct B

I trust you guys will alert me to any errors in our comparison! :sweat_smile:

That is a very nice feature on the site. Takes a bit of the PR mumbo-jumbo out. Should reduce head scratching.

Perhaps showing the Resound has 17 Channels rather than 9 bands might be a bit more indicative.

One might argue that adjustment bands mean more than processing channels… Either way, scroll a bit and you will see the processing channels described under warp compression, as shown in this screen grab:

Also, check this out:

The possibility remains that signal processing techniques in hearing aids (e.g. feedback suppression, digital noise reduction, directional microphones) may benefit from increasing the number of processing channels. However, there does not appear to be a sufficient body of evidence that supports or discounts this hypothesis within the limitations of modern hearing aid technology.

Source:

Please don’t. There was a long thread on the previous board about the marginal benefits of more than a dozen channels.

I meant in terms of the side by side comparison - saying that brand x has 64 bands vs 9 of brand y is meaningless if it doesn’t tell the whole story. Your comparison is meant to allow the layperson to better assess the performance of each product, not to throw ‘interpretation’ in the mix.

I’m not sure if our little popup is helpful in explaining the whole story?

We have a long way to go before achieving this goal… in the meantime I would assume most advanced users / providers find some usefulness from the comparison tool.

I recall the thread that Um Bongo references. It got pretty heated before it was done. One of the members was overly enamoured with channels etc. and determined that the aid with the most was the best. It is a confusing issue. We all think more is better and that isn’t always the case.

I have a question. Are bands more a decision in the fitting software rather than an indication of hardware capability?

Adjustment handles is a bit spurious though, as the feedback manager tweaks more points, technically they are editable gain levels. It might seem minor, but the implication that a significant number channels is ‘better’ is widely touted in the industry. Giving misleading information in a comparison is worse by a degree as you’re claiming to be impartial.

The ‘handles’ only really apply to the dispenser fitting not the functional use of the aid: it still has 17 channels, suggestions to the contrary are just plain wrong. I’m surprised GN aren’t jumping all over you for misrepresenting their product TBH.

This is not true. Having more gain handles enables a closer fit to prescriptive target… meaning less amplification at frequencies that don’t need it and more amplification at frequencies that do. A “tighter” fit to target certainly has comfort and audibility implications, and I would call this a functional use of the aid.

Again, I’m not sure where the misrepresentation is. Please clarify. Also if you look at the top of the page you can see that I have invited all stakeholders to make corrections to the data we are representing, as we have done our best to represent the data accurately:

An on-staff audiologist at Hearing Tracker is responsible for the data included in our product directory, and in some cases assistance has been provided by hearing aid manufacturers. All hearing aid manufacturers are invited to contribute comprehensive/accurate data to our system. We also invite all corrections (We do not guarantee the accuracy of the current data). Please contact info@hearingtracker.com with any suggestions.

By the way @1Bluejay, I apologize for the tangent this thread has taken. I know none of this is helpful to answering your original question, and if you’d prefer to re-ask it and close this topic, I understand. Thanks!

In real terms both aids operate over similar levels of resolution in terms of channels.

You can’t pull up ‘adjustment handles’ steeper than 32dB per Octave as they overlap, suggesting otherwise is meaningless. So the concept of this sort of independence of control is laughable.

Worse still you’re feeding the more is better argument amongst those who don’t know better.

How many frequencies do you test at? Even if you do half octaves, what does that give you, 10-12 points. What else are you using them for?

Or have you bought the more is better T-shirt too?

I would recommend that you re-read the “help text” in the screen grab above. I would say we did a pretty good job of making your point for you. And you still haven’t clarified where we are showing incorrect information. Please do, so we can fix it. Thanks.

It still reads to the uneducated eye that the Phonak has double the Channels of the Resound, when that’s patently untrue.

If you can’t see it fair enough, I’ve got better things to do than argue on here, but it’s confirmation bias brought about by the narrow description you’ve used that doesn’t reflect the real-World function of the hearing aids only the software accessible level controls.

Perhaps actually stating the operational parameters of the aid first and then dropping the adjustable functions into parentheses after would better reflect the reality of the situation.

I thought we were just discussing this. I was trying to figure out what your suggestions were, and I think you just made one… so thanks for that. This really is just in beta mode… displaying all this information from 30 data models didn’t come without its challenges… I’ll take your suggestion into consideration on the next update to comparison pages.