How does hearing loss affect you?

I think isolation is the biggest buzz word for me. I’m a pretty confident person normally but now avoid a lot of social situations as I just can’t hear what people are saying and it’s Very lonely spending an evening effectively alone.

I can’t follow the office banter around me, so now find myself working from home more to avoid being obviously left out. I know this is effectively isolating myself but for me it’s better than feeling (unintentionally) left out all the time.

On the plus side I referee rugby and now I have no idea what abuse I’m getting from the sideline so I can ignore it easier than most. Go to find the pluses where you can :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That IS an interesting situation.

One indirect effect that I have to consider is using the Phonak Marvels on a phone call when I’m at work. I work in a group home setting and I have to be sure no one in the area is discussing confidential information as the HA microphones might pick it up. It’s usually enough to just take it outside–or into another area–but I do need to be aware. While this would be true with any headphones that have similar capability I think the HA mics are more sensitive than most of those would be.

1 Like