How did you lose your hearing?

I lost my hearing 56 years ago due to an ototoxic antibiotic given for a pneumonia. I’ve been wearing hearing aids for 46 years.

Yep…I couldn’t believe I pulled the tiger w/o protection on…the muzzle brake sends the wave out perpendicular to the barrel, which in turn bounced off the walls and ceiling - “dang, that’s gon’na leave a mark”

Rdmitch

Interesting - for me I started (age 55 or so) drumming and shooting about the same time - I blamed the drumming because at first I did not wear protection, I always do shooting - I double plug - I shoot USPSA competitive (pistol) events so I need to hear range commands - it’s a tough deal to get right…I’m looking for better active muffs that will allow me to use fitted plugs to take it down the muzzle blast as much as possible -

I found and started using musician plugs that work well, I can still hear the bass player but don’t hurt myself with rare “cymbal queen” events … :smile:

Fifteen years of working a machine shop did it to me. Although I didn’t actually run the machines for that time (I programmed them), I was in the machine shop a LOT. The funny thing is the company was very serious about using hearing protection and testing the hearing at least once per year. I did use hearing protection and never showed any loss of hearing at the time, however I was told later that the hearing protection products we used were later found to be inadequate. Yay for me.

For me, spinal meningitis when I was 5. Initially left me with 100% loss both ears, but regained ~20% in my left ear after some aggressive vitamin therapy (so I’m told).

Born with it! Definitely got the nerve-related deafness from dad’s side of the family, where he, his dad (and mom) all wore aids for that reason.

In addition, I had a series of bad ear infections growing up that culminated in permanent tinnitus at age 14 and then progressive hearing loss from then on down the slippery slope. An Elton John concert I attended a few decades ago utterly KILLED my hearing. My bad for not wearing any earplugs.

I got my first pair of aids at 35 (and would’ve gotten them sooner if I could’ve afforded a pair). I’ve been wearing aids for 27 years now. There is hardly ONE issue related to aids that I have not stumbled through in all that time. I should write a book on it, but it would probably not make the Best Seller’s list, lacking violence, lust or big money. :smirk:

I had bad middle ear infections in both ears as a baby, antibiotics, following ear surgeries, hard of hearing ever since, went deaf over the years. I attented deaf school, special educational programs for the deaf. I learned to talk but rather use Sign Language.

I was diagnosed at an early age around age 3. The cause is unknown. Possibly an ear infection or adverse reaction to antibiotics or genetic. Unsure how to diagnose years after the fact.

Otosclerosis, which often includes some sensorineural loss (lots in my case) in addition to the obvious conductive loss. Affected many females on my mother’s side of family, but I’m male. Hearing impairment got obvious and got first HA’s at about 38, and after 4 stapedotomy operations and lots of HAs, I’m 75.