How did you lose your hearing?

Personally, I had an illness a couple years ago and now wear Oticon OPN1 aids in both ears. What about you?

Born with a moderate inner ear loss but after lots and lots of infections, my middle ear bones are all misshapen and now I have a profound loss.

Early high frequency sensorineural loss - aging earlier than most - some loss since my mid forties. ( Maybe the odd concert thrown in from my younger years.)

At an indoor gun range. Wearing 2 forms of hearing protection, 32db foam in ear and 32db over ear protectors. ENT said sometimes it happens!

40 years of drumming in rock bands got the ball rolling.
But is wasn’t until after a handgun shooting session that I really
Felt the problem and like others, I had proper ear protection on.

Long answer…

I first noticed a problem while watching Star War in the theater. With all the sound effects, I just couldn’t understand the dialog. (Jar Jar Bing Version)

Later, I started to notice it with TV and got TV ears.

Next, I need day to day help and found it with those cheap Chinese Siemens aids. This was with a mild-moderate condition.

3 years ago August, I encountered Meniere’s which lasted for about 3 months where the attacks stopped. I now had a major loss and bought aids over the Internet which my ENT programmed. They died and I found Costco.

Today, even with aids I have problems with many voices. All voices have a rasp to them that is worse with some. When I got the aids two years ago, phone worked well. That has deteriorated and made the phone a challenge again. I recently had a milder than Meniere’s problem that has introduce the added difficulty.

My ENT can’t answer that question for me. It could be genetic, could be I was born with my L ear like it is, first noticed my left ear when we got our phone when I was 12. It could due to AIED. Or it could be due to the fact that I played bag pipes from the age of 7. There’s so many possible causes for my being deaf that they can’t pin it down to a particular cause.

Hi All,

I had some hearing loss starting at about age 50 but the really noticeable loss occurred when I had chemotherapy for leukemia in 2013. Apparently the culprit was Idarubicin, which I’ve read causes nerve damage in 7% of patients. I also got numb feet at the same time.

A few months after the chemo., I was transferred to Mayo Clinic in Phoenix where I had a bone-marrow, stem cell transplant. While my doctor won’t use the word “cure” I have no sign of leukemia about four years after the transplant.

1990, while stationed in Germany. During a NATO exercise, my post was in the back room of a hardened aircraft shelter. Without warning, some aircraft mechanics decided to fire up the F-16 that was in the building. 30 or 40 feet from the business end of that jet engine, cinder block walls and a hollow steel door do very little to dampen the sound.

My ears have been ringing ever since. Until I went in for my first audiogram, I thought my hearing was OK but the ringing was interfering with understanding people. Boy was I wrong.

I was given ototoxic drugs as a teenager, went straight to the audiogram I have now overnight.
Back then, there was only analog, but I have worn something everyday for about 45 years.

I am an odd one I lost my hearing at 5 or so due to catching the measles I couldn’t have the second MMR jab due to being allergic to eggs and that is what the used in the jab… Apparently it affected my ears really bad at the onset of the measles and took a year to diagnose my hearing loss yup that was a toughie for me as most don’t realize even I still remember what hearing things sounded like but never got close to what I remember until I got digital aids after almost 29 years of wearing hearing aids. it will be 30 next year for me yikes!

My mother may have had some of her own health issues while carrying me. I was born with a heart defect. Who knows what else…things related to the ears? Turns out many relations have hearing issues on my fathers side that seems to come on in mid-life and then finally they do something about it. So it would seem there’re genetics involved too. The heart got operated on when I was a toddler. Maybe I was given ototoxic drugs at that time.

Then through elementary school perhaps I was a slacker or maybe I wasn’t hearing things very well. I was tested and found some lacking. Also had those tubes inserted to drain things on several occasions. Apparently several bouts of some kind of ear infection throughout childhood. Maybe more ototoxic drugs. Never any talk of hearing aids. Money maybe? Maybe they thought I would grow out of it? And certainly probably too loud music through probably inexpensive headphones and a few concerts.

I finally discovered the val salva trick as a young adult and that held me for much of my adult life thinking why can’t this be my normal when suddenly the world is much louder.

And then age comes creeping up. Got tested to really simply say “yup not so great in the hearing department” even after the val salva just moments before the test. That and really realizing that I’m missing parts and sounds in music that my memory tells me should be there and that other more able people can hear.

I don’t recall NOT having tinnitus but I suspect it really installed itself after a second unprotected gunshot. Twice along the way I wanted to experience unprotected gunshot sound. Once as a young adult with a shotgun. Yup…loud. Another several years ago with a handgun. Uh huh still loud. Yeah don’t do that. I always get a laugh when I see all the gun fights in closed space in the movies and no characters or even extras nearby are flinching from the noise. I suspect these events may have caused some recruitment effect where surprise, sharp, fast, loud sounds really make me jump.

So tl;dr… some genetics and some self-inflicted.

That’s my story.

Frustratingly, I don’t know. The ent asked about childhood illnesses. My parents couldn’t remember exactly what I’d had and when. I’ve sometimes blamed myself for listening to too much loud music as a teenager and yound adult. The latest audiologist I saw seems to think that this is unlikely. Anyway, it seems like a gradual onset. One day you’re sitting around a table and find that you’re not following the conversation. I saw the ent when I was 29. He told me to learn lip-reading and avoid anyone who sold hearing aids. This was thirty years ago. I’ve been wearing aids for about 8 years in total.

Genetics?
My maternal granddad was deaf as a brick, but we blamed it on Granny’s incessant yatter yatter yatter.
My father grew deaf in his 60s after a long life in a mill.

Environment?
From age 16 to near 40, I worked around equipment that generated a lot of excessive and often high pitched noise. I rode noisy bikes, most of my life, right up to age 70. In my late 50s I started noticing my hearing deteriorating and did nothing about it until I hit 65, 8 years ago, when I got my first hearing aids. I still have the same ones.

In those early years, hearing protection was not a high priority in the work place. Nor were a lot of other safety issues you see today.

Really though, I think my loss was a combination of those two.

In my case it was a combination of genetics and being subjected to loud noises. My father and grandfather both were hard of hearing and wore hearing aids for many years.

I was in the army during the Vietnam era and back then they didn’t issue any hearing protection so after we were on the firing range during training my ears used to ring for several days.

I also worked in computer rooms for many years where there was lots of background noise from fans and the like which also likely contributed to my hearing loss over time.

I started wearing hearing aids at about age 65 when I noticed that my wife could hear lots of bird songs that I could not (we do a lot of bird watching).

Am currently wearing Oticon OPN 1 aids which seem to work very well for me. I do my own programming on them thanks to this forum and several people who provided lots of good info about how to do it.

My hearing loss is due to a combination of things, like a lot of others. My paternal grandfather was profoundly deaf. My father was pretty much that way, although he could hear if you shouted loud enough. I come from a family of shooting enthusiasts who didn’t use hearing protection. Then, there were all those rock concerts in the early seventies. I got tinnitus in my mid twenties. Never really tried to do anything about my loss until the last couple of years. Hearing aids don’t really seem to help. Except for needing closed captions for TV and awkwardness in social situations, I have gotten used to having hearing loss. I think it bothers others more that it does me.

Like most there are several contributing factors: Genetics for one - on my mother’s side… listening to too many hard rock bands in the 60’s… 20 years of mowing 2 acres of property without proper protection … I do a lot of voluntary photography, including many concerts … a couple of times while kneeling near the stage for a shot, a speaker would blast me out … Pennsylvania Dutch Saying “We get too soon old, and too late smart”

24 years of real and simulated combat in the Army, exacerbated by Agent Orange induced physical disorders.

Mostly cumulative over 40+ years… Lots of rock concerts (no protection); Motorcycle racing (protection); Working along freeways as a land surveyor (no protection) Shooting (protection) and a late in life start as a drummer took me over the cliff (no protection until it was to late).

Overall a typical old guy slow decline that went more or less unnoticed until I went to a movie (Star Wars) a few days after a drumming gig - we set up in a tight “garage” spot and jammed pretty hard (Montrose) for a couple hours…my hearing loss went off a cliff that particular day. I also had a single shot of a rifle (w/muzzle brake) in a range “bunker” that I had forgot to put my protection on - this has added a little more noticeable loss since I been wearing HAs

Interesting mention of a range “bunker”.
My first shotgun experience was me standing a short distance away from an embankment rising away from me but I was in the open with maybe some trees a bit behind me.
The second one with the handgun was in a range and I guess it could be called a bunker. It was outside in a 1/4 round culvert with a floor and one side closed in. I was standing near the “front”. Yeah. :slight_smile: can you say focussed sound reflection? Sheesh. I might’ve been a little better off not standing in front of a sound reflecting surface.
Like I said…self-inflicted.