How can you tell when Neural Noise Suppression is active?

For those who have worn Oticon More for a while, is there anything you notice when NNS is activated?

I’m trying to understand how much NNS might be helping me, but I have no way of knowing if I’ve ever been in an environment that would trigger it.

2 Likes

I am someone that only has and uses the default program of my More1 aids. To be honest the programming is so fast and sounds so natural to me that I don’t even notice any changes my aids just sound great regardless of the environment i am in and move to.

2 Likes

NNS works in the background, and we have no way to consciously perceive it that I’m aware of.
As @cvkemp the programming is fast, and you don’t even know it’s there, and that’s the point.

Compare it to Phonak’s Autosense, and it becomes apparent the difference in response time.

I’ll probably get flamed for that, but it was very apparent when I trialed the Audeo Marvels.

2 Likes

While there’s no “notification” per se when Neural Noise Suppression is active, you can still set up to do an A to B comparison if desired. Ask your HCP to set up a program 2 for you where it’s almost exactly the same as your default program 1, but turn off Neural Noise Suppression altogether in program 2 only (leave program 1 as before). Then when you’re in a very challenging environment, switch from program 1 to program 2 to turn off the NNS and see if you can tell a difference. Go back and forth as many times as you want, but you probably want to spend a good 5 or 10 or 15 minutes before switching, don’t just go back and forth every 30 seconds or every minute.

You probably won’t be able to tell a difference if you’re in a simple or semi complex environment, depending on how many sounds there are in those environment. But you can probably tell a difference when you’re in a very complex environment and you turn it off by switching to program 2. Also, if your program 1 is set with the default value recommended or less than that, then you’ll not notice as much of an effect as if program 1 is set with the highest value. So it depends on that factor as well.

If you’re rarely in a complex environment that would trigger it like you mentioned in your original post, then you’ll rarely be able to tell a difference.

1 Like

I suspect that it’s more noticeable when you trialed the Marvel is because when Autosense goes into a program that has noise suppression enabled, its traditional beam forming approach blocks out the noise around you and only lets in the sounds from the front of you, so that becomes very noticeable when Autosense switched to that program.

For the More, because of the open paradigm, you don’t notice the surrounding sounds “blocked out” as aggressively (you still should hear everything around you just the same unless you enable the More Sound Booster in your ON app), it’s just that the speech should seem easier to understand, so it’s not as noticeable of an event per se.

2 Likes

That’s precisely what I meant.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. I will try to get some kind of a/b comparison set up on my next visit

1 Like