How bad is this loss?

So, to try and get a handle on how urgent my need for hearing aids is, I did an on line hearing test using this website. The image below are the results. Red for right, and blue for left. The method used to calibrate the test is a bit strange (crude), but it did give me results on the chart except for the higher frequencies in my left ear, which I know is not good. The last four tones I could not hear even at the highest setting for the test. I have no doubt that the relative steps for the different frequencies are probably meaningful, but I wonder about the absolute value of the loss. For example perhaps they need to be shifted up 10 dB or so? That would assume my hearing was normal a low frequencies. What I am having trouble squaring is that if this is correct, how am I hearing anything…

But on the assumption this is correct am I being foolish in delaying getting HA’s? My plan was to wait until this fall when the new KS 9.0 aids are released.

Also, what implications would a loss like this be on what type of HA is suitable? Open or Closed fitting? The current model I had my eye on at Costco were the KS 8.0.

I think what this is telling me is that at minimum I should go and get my free test done at Costco now?

0 Likes

I agree with the plan to go to Costco and get a real test. Do you have any problems understanding people? That to me is the key driver to get hearing aids.

0 Likes

What I notice right away before putting in the aids and talking is how muffled my voice and other speech is. It’s due to the loss of the higher frequencies of speech.
It doesn’t take long for the brain to re-adjust to the muffled though. It does take longer for the brain to hear everything aided though.

0 Likes

In general no I don’t have that much trouble with speech as long as the person is in the same room as me. I do have trouble following conversation at our table in a moderately noisy restaurant though.

0 Likes

Again, first I think you need some “real” info, as in a test from Costco (or other hearing provider).
IF results were similar to what you got, hearing aids would likely be suggested and they would likely be open fit. Hearing aids may or may not help hearing in the noisy restaurant. They will definitely let you hear higher pitched sounds (bird songs) and understand soft spoken higher pitched voices. Depending on what results you get from Costco, no harm in trying a hearing aid and seeing what you think. They can definitely take awhile to get used to and I’m guessing the sooner one starts, the easier is to adjust.

2 Likes

Again assuming these test results are accurate, would the KS 8.0 S Receiver Open Fit provide enough gain?

Is the open fit style likely to cause a loss in the directional selectivity of the HA programs? I seem to be seeing mixed opinions on that aspect.

0 Likes

First you need a real test. The first thing is there is too much gap between your right and left ear at the high frequencies to test without masking the better ear. Online test are not accurate, too many calibration Fyi if that is your results, you(in my opinion) will hate a closed fitting. it will be like having your fingers in your ears,or a bad cold,all clogged up. Problem is that an open fit may result in feedback.You need someone to fit you. DON’T wait, the longer you wait the more your speech discrimination will get and the harder it will be to get it back. If they don’t measure your speech go somewhere else.Good Luck

1 Like

I called 4 different Costco outlets. None of them that I contacted use audiologists, just practitioners. Actually one said they do employ an audiologist, but she was off on mat leave. However they said they do speech in noise testing and real ear measurements when fitting.

0 Likes

Canada I assume? flag by your name…lol Are they Licensed to dispense hearing aids? If not, just go to a dispenser or audiologist locally

0 Likes

Costco will give you a real test and some good baseline info. You’re really shooting in the dark without a real test. Kirkland KS8 can handle most losses and I expect would cover yours. You won’t know though until you get a real test. I wouldn’t worry about open vs closed vs semi open at this point. That’s something that is very easy to change. It just involves popping off one dome and replacing it with another.

2 Likes

Costco will do all the tests and if they think you need to first see an ENT, they will tell you.

It doesn’t hurt. :grin:

1 Like

Yes, Alberta, Canada. From what I understand only the province of Quebec forces the use of audiologists in Canada.

0 Likes

My Oticon OPN Hearing aids helped significantly with hearing in a noisy restaurant. While hearing in noise is still not as good as needed, it is d efinitely helped by newer high end hearing aids.

0 Likes

Costco gives good prices, but you can’t get updates or new fittings as your hearing changes outside of Costco. Be sure to ask about that and consider if it could be a problem for you.

0 Likes

Not quite sure what you’re saying. If you’re saying Costco aids are “locked,” that’s only true for their Resounds. If you’re saying nobody else will deal with them, that may or may not be true, but it’s also true that it’s very hard to find providers that will deal with any hearing aids purchased somewhere else. Costco certainly has a larger network of providers than most.

1 Like

Ontario is nearly 100% audiologists at costco as I understand it. Interesting to know that Alberta Costcos are largely staffed by HISs.

But you probably have other local options.

0 Likes

I will have to pay for these things out of my pocket, although I gather Alberta Health will kick in $900 or so. And I am within walking distance of one Costco, so it makes it hard to ignore that option, unless there is something unsatisfactory about it. I see that Consumer Reports has just updated their ratings of hearing aids and dispensers. I believe it is based on user surveys. Kirkland Signature took the top rating for aids, and Costco took the top rating for dispensers.

0 Likes

Are you saying that nobody but Costco will service or adjust the Kirkland Signature brand aids? If so, that does make some sense. However, I can live with that. I don’t think Costco is going out of business any time soon. But then, I thought that of Sears too…

0 Likes

Going to a Hearing Instrument Dispenser instead of an audiologist is not a bad thing in itself.
I have seen dispensers who did a far superior job of fitting that some audiologists I know. I have also seen dispensers that I would cringe if I found out a family member went to. There are good and bad in both the dispensing community and the audiology community. If something does not seem right, your questions are not answered to your satisfaction or you are pressured…get up and go someplace else! And YES, get a real hearing evaluation.

1 Like

For sure I will get a real hearing check. My decision now is where. I have one Costco within walking distance, that is apparently the highest sales Costco in Canada. However, I was certainly not impressed with the front desk staff. The next closest one just opened in the last year. The person on the phone was very well informed. I assume their test equipment is brand new, but employees have to be brand new (to Costco) too. The next closest one sounded good but their audiologist is on mat leave (for months - years…), and their 26 year manager who is a practitioner is off with family issues and won’t be back until March. My gut is telling me to go to the new Costco. Many years ago I decided that the best dentists were the youngest dentists… The problem came in when my young dentist became an old dentist and retired! As you suggest, if I am not impressed, I don’t think there is anything preventing me to from going to another Costco when it comes time to buy.

0 Likes