High frequency hearing loss above 8000 Hz

Hello! I have mild high frequency hearing loss that is not enough to necessitate hearing aids because it doesn’t affect my ability to hear speech… BUT - I have severe tinnitus, which does affect my quality of life. So, I purchased hearing aids 1 1/2 years ago mostly for the maskers/sound therapy. They don’t help! Serious health issues that can contribute to tinnitus have been ruled out, so I truly believe that “silent” high frequency hearing loss (loss above 8000 Hz that isn’t tested for on a standard hearing test) might just be the culprit of my tinnitus. I believe my brain/auditory cortex- seeks out those lost frequencies above 8000 Hz, therefore creating the noise to replace the missing frequencies. It’s my understanding that there are no hearing aids designed to bring these frequencies in. Why is this?

The reason I suspect silent hearing loss is my problem is that I’ve taken hearing tests on YouTube and I don’t hear any high frequencies above about 8 to 9000 Hz.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Melinda

Hearing aids are targeted at understanding speech. There is not a lot of speech information above 8000 hz. It’s also my understanding is that it is very difficult (impossible?) to make an armature that can produce very high frequency sound and still produce the sounds most need to understand speech.
I have tinnitus too, but the only time I’m aware of it is when I’m thinking of it. It’s screaming now, but does not bother me. My understanding is that the solution to tinnitus is to ignore it. It’s not as tough as it sounds. Just acknowledge it and move on. Be prepared to repeat multiple times. Eventually it won’t be an issue. I’d suggest reading a book (or more) on mindfulness. I’m sure this isn’t what you wanted to hear, but I can just about guarantee you that if you put a lot of effort into finding a cure, it will get worse. Don’t give it power over you.

4 Likes

Hi Melinda, I might be the genetic guinea pig who did the tinnitus experiment you are asking about. I have a cochlear mutation that causes a loss that is progressive and starts at the highest frequencies. It leaves dead regions, like at 6 and 8 kHz, as it works its way down in a linear fashion. My low frequency hearing is normal.

When I was in elementary school, I began having very high pitched annoying tinnitus. Over the years, the frequency at which I hear the tinnitus has dropped steadily. It’s much lower in frequency now. I have read scientific publications that say this will happen with advancing hearing loss, but I don’t know the mechanism or the treatment. And I’m just one person with weird ears.

I know from being lossy at 6 and 8 kHz that it made hearing in noise hard when I was in high school and grad school. Now much older, I use hearing aids. In terms of the tinnitus, been there all my life now, and I just ignore it. How easily people do that varies, and it varies with me depending on my circumstances. There are clinicians who can help folks to tune out the tinnitus–others may know better how to find such experts to seek their guidance. I hope you find some resolution. Tinnitus is a pain in the butt. Barb

2 Likes

I believe more people have this type hearing loss than you might think.

This describes my hearing loss very well.

As you can see I have cochlear implants now and hear pretty darn good now.

1 Like