Hi-Pro Versus Wireless Fitting (iCube/iCubeII, FittingLink, TruLink, AirLink, etc.)

Every self programming newbie wants to get a wireless programmer to program their hearing aids/HAs. Let’s poke at that…

PROS and CONS for Hi-Pro Fitting:
Pro = Hi-Pro Fitting is the industry standard. It fits almost all model HAs except a few models (which are too small for a cable connection or have rechargeable batteries and no cable connection).

Con = Hi-Pro Fitting uses programming cables and maybe (flex strips, boots, or pills) to connect to HAs. These can be difficult to understand what is needed, and difficult and expensive to obtain.

Con = Wearing your hearing aids during fitting with cables/flex strips hanging from your ears is cumbersome.

PROS and CONS for Wireless Fitting:
Pro = Wireless Fitting eliminates the need to use programming cables/(flex strips, boots, or pills) to connect to HAs.

Pro = Wireless fittings makes it easy to wear your hearing aids in order to monitor tweaks to during fitting.

Con = Wireless programmers are expensive.

Con = Wireless Fitting is manufacturer specific. After your initial investment in a wireless programmer you will be limited to programming one specific manufacturer’s HAs. For example, iCube/icubeII will only work for Phonak/Unitron.

Con = A Wireless Fitting gadget will become obsolete. For example iCube has been replaced with the iCube II beginning with the Phonak Venture model. The iCube II was seemingly designed to be >>backwards compatible<< for communicating with HAs supported by iCube. However, that feature is >>not working very well<< so if you must use a wireless gadget then stick with the wireless gadget designed specifically for your HA series.

Con = Wireless Fitting can lock-up your HAs upon encountering a wireless programming communications failure or power failure. iCube cannot unlock HAs that have locked-up. You will need a Hi-Pro and cable connection for that. icubeII along with fitting software has a reset for locked HAs.

Con = Wireless Fitting may not perform all programming functions for example applying firmware updates to your HAs. If you were to suffer a wireless programming communications failure or power failure during firmware updates then your HAs may no longer function for wireless fitting.

Back to the Future:
A >>Noahlink Wireless<< device for Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) enabled hearing instruments is >>under development<<.

I went with the purchase of the mini Hi-Pro verses the icube II for my Phonak. The main reason was that I wanted to read my older phonak aids, so the icube II was not compatible. So I agree, going the wire version provide you the greatest flexibility, especially when the wireless technology is changing daily.

That being said, I would not be surprise if the hearing aid manufacture begin to eliminate the internal connectors from their aids for their future models. (reduce their manufacturing costs).

Your old HAs are the Phonak Naida S IX UPs? If that’s the case, the iCube II will work with your old HAs as well as your new Phonak Naida V90 UPs.

Yes they are. For some reason I thought the icube ii was not compatible, so I went ahead and purchase the min-Hipro. Oh well, I did get a great price on the hi-pro & cables though.

That would surprise me greatly!

I don’t see how. Phonak fitting documents specify iCube for Naída S and iCube II for Naída V (see excerpts and links below). It is obvious (to me) that iCube and iCube II are two unique wireless protocols that are not interchangeable.

Naída S Desktop Fitting Guide
To prepare the hearing instruments for the fitting session.
NOAHlink or HI-PRO -Connect the programming cables to the hearing instruments and to the fitting device.
iCube -Insert the battery and turn the hearing instrument on by closing the battery compartment.

Phonak Naída V
Product information
Phonak Naída V Fitting:
-Software - Phonak Target™ 4.3 or higher
-Interfaces - iCube II, NOAHLink, HI-PRO, HI-PRO2

Thanks, I feel a little better that I made the right choice. As I posted in the other threads, this is my first time self programming and I needed to see my old aid settings as a baseline (as a Phonak rep. did my adjustments for me). I learned a lot from viewing this data. My only regret was why I didn’t do this 5 years ago! :slight_smile:

States here that the iCube II will work with the Spice platform.

https://www.phonakpro.com/uk/en/resources/fitting-and-tests/icube-ii/overview-icube-ii.html

Oh okay, I guess iCube II is backwards compatible. But iCube is not forward compatible.

I have included your link into the OP to help clarify this compatibility issue.

I’ll put a caveat on that. The iCube 2 doesn’t work as well on the previous gen, seems to suffer with initial lock-up/lack of connection/recognition. We’re programming both generations quite regularly and it helps enormously if you stick with the appropriate programmer for the series you have.

That’s enlightening. I updated the OP.

Well, this is true today, but it certainly won’t be true tomorrow (i.e. over the next year or so) when something like NoahLink Wireless replaces Hi-Pro as an industry standard. Pretty much all of the “cons” for wireless programming will go away.

Thats good to know. I’ve had my Quest HAs programmed with the iCube II and luckily didn’t suffer any problems. My audiologist seems to only carry the iCube II now.

I deal with a lot of Unitron product, it’s not that the legacy stuff won’t program, it’s just that the connection tends to be less reliable (you get multiple dropout/reconnects in a session) with the wrong gen programmer. Both types are connected directly to a USB 3 wire, so I suspect it might be a problem with the USB side overloading data faster than the NFMI can handle or the NFMI doesn’t respond to and ‘I’m here’ handshake as fast as the system expects.

Kinda opposite of the Resound situation where the Airlink 1 will program the later models, but the Airlink 2 is better in all cases.

I don’t think this will happen. Wireless protocols are complicated and proprietary. I see no reason for a hearing aid manufacturer (especially all hearing aid manufacturers) to share proprietary information with a wannabee Hi-Pro replacement company.

One might think that in the future the hearing aid manufacturers will discard their complicated proprietary wireless protocols in favor of a an industry standard wireless protocol that is simple for anyone to use. Don’t hold your breath. There are security issues (even hacking issues) to consider.

Hi-Pro programming cables are indeed difficult as to which you need.

However, this difficulty disappears if you combine it with the way to acquire them: Ask your audiologist whether you can have a spare set for your aids, since he gets them for free! (At least in Holland they get them for free from the HA companies.)

It’s already been confirmed and is happening HIMSA announces the release of Noahlink Wireless

Can’t help but notice that it looks exactly the same as the ReSound Airlink ll tho!

Well “shut my mouth, under development”. But, will it be allowed to update the firmware?

Thanks chatteremail and tenkan. I think I will add an “under development” section to the OP.

Last week my audician updated the firmware for her Airlink 2. Afterwards the Target Software identified it as a Noah Wireless and she could program the Phonak Audeo B90’s.

Sorry for the necrobump. Just reading up on the Airlink 2. :slight_smile: