Hi I’m a new user, this is my story please advise me

A diagnosis
made 30 years ago could be wrong. I was diagnosed that my loss was due to a childhood illness. I wouldn’t put a whole lot of value in a diagnosis made 30 years ago

It could, but with deaf and HOH relatives, I doubt it.

Ok. Well whatever. I don’t want to be responsible for throwing this thread off track so I’ll move on

Irrelevant to your assertion though. Only relevant to your questioning a medical diagnosis.

‘Irrelevant to my assertion’ . I’ll have to copy that down and use it in the future. Just one final note. I have become dependent upon my hearing aids. Otherwise why have them.

1 Like

Hi, Rain.Drop!

I haven’t been ignoring you. Life has been super busy. Just wanted to let you know I’ll get back to you shortly.

Irene

1 Like

Another great feature of most HA brands will be Bluetooth remote microphones. My Resound HA’s have a “Multi Mic” that I can attach to a speaker’s lapel in a group, or set in the middle of a table in a small group, or attach an audio cable to and stream directly from my TV or other audio device with a standard 3.5mm cable. Their speech or my audio programs fly straight into my ears. Also invaluable in a vehicle, having the driver or passenger wear it to cut through road noise! The streaming distance can extend well across a large room.

Welcome.

Hearing aids have had wireless microphone remote options for years. Many Phonak users swear by their Roger system wireless devices.

Sinead, thank you for all the great input. :thinking:hmm I notice I understand better when people talk to my face and in front of me. With masks it is definitely harder to understand. I don’t think I read lips though because I don’t look at people mouths when they’re talking both in English and my native. I’m sure I understand my native better though. I think part of it is because my native language might not have as many high pitched consonants as English. Im really just hoping the aids will be able to help me understand better. 🥹🥹🥹

I have a corporate job too but I’m working remotely. I’m just so scared when office attendance is required and I’ll be so lost in meetings and conference. I’ve never be in an office before but I’m sure I will have a hard time. I’m a bit relieved to see that you don’t have much difficulties in corporate environment and your loss hasn’t progressed much. I know the loss is individual but still. Do you mind telling me What HA are you using ? Thanks

I think the audiologist did mentioned that my low frequencies are very good and that’s why I can mostly understand what’s being said. Relieved to know your high frequencies had been stable for a long time and only started to progressed in recently years. Really hope mine can be the same :heart::heart:

Thank you Irene !!! :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

Do you by any chance already own Apple’s AirPods Pro? You could import your audiogram or create one if you have a iPhone a use them as hearing aids not ver powerful ones but they might help. How to add audiogram to iPhone and map AirPods to your hearing profile

2 Likes

I usually work from home remotely. My employer has many employees working remotely, some in remote states across the country. Even when I am on the office, most meetings are either virtual or physical with very few people. My challenge with virtual meetings in the office sometimes is occasional noisy office chatter happening around me.

1 Like

Thank you I’ll look into it .

:blush: my audiologist just recommended the Oticon real 2 minirite and said I won’t have any problem in office working environment. I really do hope so

I am exchanging my Oticon More 1 minirite for Oticon Real 1 minirite on Wednesday. The Real 2 is a lower technology level. If you are a little unsure and can afford the price difference, I would recommend the Real 1.

1 Like

Yes I think I will do that. Do you happen to know the difference between the two model in term of performance? Is there a specific reason why you pick Oticon real? I’m new to Hearing loss and HA. Oticon is a good brand? Thanks

I have been using hearing aids for 20 years and know I need a high technology level. By following here and considering what brand are sold by my audiologist, I narrowed my choices to 3 brands. Signia, Phonak, and Oticon.

Phonak only has rechargeable aids and a short runtime of up to 17 hours because the use power hungry Bluetooth Classic.

Oticon seems to rate highly here. Signia is made by the same company as that Rexton brand aids I wore for 4 years. They did not keep their firmware updated for the newer iPhones. After the first year they were a struggle.
I ended up choosing the Oticon More 1 which also happened to be the least expensive choice.

I was offered a no charge upgrade to the new Real aids that are now sitting in the audiologist’s office.

1 Like

Hi, @Rain.Drop! I’m glad that you have a great relationship with your audi. And, too, that you feel confident with her. I am not sure mine is so great anymore and I will be checking around to find another. I was exactly 34 years old when I learned about my hearing loss. It has slowly progressed. It’s funny, but it kind of goes down in what I call ‘chunks’. I will wake up one day and suddenly I cannot hear something I always did before. I don’t know if it was just progressing and suddenly it got to the point where it was gone, or what. I need to post my audiogram when I get some time so that people who are curious can look at it. Maybe they might have some advice. Looking at your audiogram, I can see my loss is much more severe than yours. I am at the bottom, but I can still hear. It is just difficult sometimes. I get a lot of bass. My audi did not want to do an adjustment. I may possibly be in denial, but hoped maybe she could squeeze just a teensy bit more out for me. I need a second opinion and if that opinion is the same as my current audi, then I will have to accept it.

2 Likes