Hereditory hearing loss

Besides otosclerosis, what other types of hereditary hearing loss is there?

Thanx, but that doesn’t really answer my question.

That doesn’t even tell me what Otosclerosis is.:confused:

Otosclerosis is an abnormal growth of bone of the middle ear. This bone will prevent structures within the ear from working properly this causes hearing loss. :wink:

Probably a question better answered by Mr Google or Mr Wikipedia.

"Hearing loss can be inherited. Both dominant genes and recessive genes exist which can cause mild to profound impairment. If a family has a dominant gene for deafness it will persist across generations because it will manifest itself in the offspring even if it is inherited from only one parent. If a family had genetic hearing impairment caused by a recessive gene it will not always be apparent as it will have to be passed onto offspring from both parents. Dominant and recessive hearing impairment can be syndromic or nonsyndromic. Recent gene mapping has identified dozens of nonsyndromic dominant (DFNA#) and recessive (DFNB#) forms of deafness.

The first gene mapped for non-syndromic deafness, DFNA1, involves a splice site mutation in the formin related homolog diaphanous 1 (DIAPH1). A single base change in a large Costa Rican family was identified as causative in a rare form of low frequency onset progressive hearing loss with autosomal dominant inheritance exhibiting variable age of onset and complete penetrance by age 30.[3]
The most common type of congenital hearing impairment in developed countries is DFNB1, also known as Connexin 26 deafness or GJB2-related deafness.
The most common dominant syndromic forms of hearing impairment include Stickler syndrome and Waardenburg syndrome.
The most common recessive syndromic forms of hearing impairment are Pendred syndrome, Large vestibular aqueduct syndrome and Usher syndrome.
The congenital defect microtia can cause full or partial deafness depending upon the severity of the deformity and whether or not certain parts of the inner or middle ear are affected.
Mutations in PTPRQ Are a Cause of Autosomal-Recessive Nonsyndromic Hearing Impairment."

I think I have simple nerve damage. Although, both my Mother and Father had hearing loss, it was explained to me that even the tendency towards nerve damage hearing loss could be inherited.

Just the normal general decline in hearing loss? I thought that most people generally had a bit of hearing loss as they got older. I don’t recall either my mother, nor my father having hearing trouble. In fact, I don’t recall any of my aunts or uncles having a hearing loss. Lucky me to be this first.

I always say hearing loss happens from either birth defects, age, illness or injury. Could be any one of these

Except that this ignores the hereditary aspect or the genetic angle. My hearing loss was not caused by any of the four reasons you listed. Unless you consider birth defects to include hereditary?

On my mother’s side of the family, there is no sign of anything but old-age related loss.

On my father’s mother’s side, however, those who lived long enough all wore hearing aids. I have a 3rd cousin in Germany who at 55 wears hearing aids. My brother probably needs them, but he worked at a car wash for 40 years. My father died at 50 in a car accident, and all of his cousins, males, wore hearing aids.
I am thinking this is hereditary loss. That side of the family also has quite a bit of diabetes too [also hereditary].

Just as and FYI, I have 90 percent hearing loss in one ear due to being born without my stapes.

I also have this rare genetic disorder:
Branchio-oto-renal syndrome (BOR), also known as branciootorenal syndrome or BOR syndrome . It has also been described as Melnick-Fraser syndrome