Help with new roger on

Hello, I’m wondering if any of the DIYers here have experience with Roger On. I got one in Dec and it was amazing. Unfortunately, it died a while back. Phonak “serviced” it by completely replacing it. The new one seems to be in mono mode, whereas the old one was surely stereo when using the media cable, either with the church fm radio or the MP3 player.

Is this a matter of programming, or is this a fault in the new one?

If programming, via Noahlink wireless and target?

Thanks so much for the help!

WH

HMm; As I recall, the roger on knowledge resides mostly in the regular forums and not in the DIY section; Search results for 'roger on' - Hearing Aid Forum - Active Hearing Loss Community

And, since the DIY section is partially hidden you may get a better response in the regular forums.

Calling on @Zebras, for she will know more.

1 Like

@WhiteHat

Yes it’s meant to be stereo but I don’t think you can change it yourself tho.

I hear in both ears. But music sent via BT stream or TV connector that comes in stereo in the HAs, comes in mono (but in both ears) with same cable in Roger On dock. I don’t think the problem in that thread is quite related, as that was a cable problem with a mono cable. The same cables did stereo with my old(er) Roger On. Just not with the new one.

Thanks, though.

WH

Okay. Regarding Roger On, Phonak Target, and Noahlink Wireless; I believe that Rodger On uses Bluetooth and requires “pairing” to communicate wirelessly to another device.

On the other hand; Noahlink Wireless uses Bluetooth Low Energy\BLE, does not require pairing, and I believe requires a built-in BLE Radio/hardware in the other device in order for Noahlink Wireless to communicate with the BLE radio in the other device.

ETA: Surprisingly (to me) Roger On can also communicate via BLE. Though the other device would need to be capable of supporting whatever function the communication is for.

I used a USB cable with a windows PC to check the firmware. (Same for the dock). But I’m unaware of any software specific for changing any settings like this.

WH

Can you determine in Phonak Target which hearing aid is the master, and maybe try making the other hearing aid the master? Though, I am no Rojer On egg-spurt.

Roger On doesn’t use the BT for the business end of things. There is a BT connection in the phone for control. For example, when I put it in table mode, the app can be used to put in or take sectors of the circle out of operation. I have the three standard BT connections for the HAs and a connection for the On. But the Roger doesn’t use BT streaming. It is like a TV connector. Direct to each HA.

Someone want to hook me up with a Target DL? Maybe I can mess around and see. Thanks for thinking this through!

WH

Sure, good idea to check it out yourself, you’ll find something of use I’m sure.

Yes to Roger upgrader.

It is mono on the table. I rub a pad of paper on ea side of it with a finger nail, and the sound seems to be in the middle of my head.

Didn’t see anything about mono/stereo in any of the HA Roger on settings, but it wouldn’t make sense that it would have changed when only change has been the titanium tips on the activevents since before the old one was working in stereo. (MAV) the tips were put on by a tech and my audiologist made it clear that no programming changes could be done at that appt.

WH

I don’t think that streaming is direct to each HA. I think that streaming is direct to one HA (the master) and then the master HA establishes communication with the other HA.

When I start streaming on my Oticon HAs, the Right-HA always starts first, and then a second or so later the Left-HA starts streaming. I believe this is evidence of the master/right-HA establishing communications to my left-HA.

I also believe that Phonak streaming must work in a similar fashion as Oticon, in that one side receives the streaming signal and then establishescommunications to the other HA. However Phonak must be more complicated? The Target software has a setting to choose which side is the “BLUETOOTH SIDE”. I am guessing that means which HA is the master??

And since we don’t have any documentation on this, then I don’t know for sure? But if it doesn’t work this way, then what the heck is Phonak’s “BLUETOOTH SIDE”?

Question for Phonak streamers: When you start streaming do you get sound in one HA first, and then a second or so later get stereo sound in the other HA? If yes do you get sound first on the side that is set as the “BLUETOOTH SIDE” in Target software?

The Oticon is LE Bluetooth and MFi (iOS) Phonak uses classic bluetooth so you get the master/slave, @pvc what model of Oticon do you use OPN?

My audiologist will ask through her support chain, but encouraged me to also call the BT support line. I don’t think they open until 9 central. So soon, maybe?

Zebras has it right on the transmission method. Roger doesn’t use BT (nor does the tv connector.) Same frequency band but different protocol. Soundfield, I think.

WH

We use Oticon Opn and Oticon More, no phone use, only TV connector.

Right-HA establishes communications with TV connector first, and then Right-HA establishes communication with the Left-HA.

Always right first, then a second later for left when using TV connector.

I still have no clue as to why Phonak gives you an option to choose a “BLUETOOTH SIDE”?

One is the bluetooth master, the BT streaming goes over to that device and then that aid sends it to the other via other means. The two aids seems to chat quite a bit for things like beam forming & etc. I had the BT master set to the left as it uses a bit more power than normal to BT stream and that is my better ear, so it is also using a bit less juice than the right for amplification.

BT streaming eats an estimated extra hour for each hour you have in the day on rechargables. Before I switched sides, I ran out of juice on the rt once or twice a week in the hour or so before bed time. Since the swap, and a firmware update, and getting the TV connector and Roger On, I have had the aids run out of juice maybe three times since all that happened in December.

The streaming from TV connector or Roger seems to use a lot less battery juice than BT streaming. Maybe 15 minutes for every hour streamed?

WH

And the answer is … Clear all networks and re-pair. I called the help line and second tier said to try that. And it seems to have worked for the 15sec test I did.

Hold the “Pair” button 8 seconds. All associations will be deleted from the microphone. Then hold it briefly to pair with HAs again. Bingo.

WH

1 Like

And I just needed to do this again with a new Roger On sent to me (again) under warranty replacement. The whole thing is there, including a dock this time!

Why they pair OK to begin with and then get confused, I don’t know. I still have a firmware update to do on it, too.

WH