Help with getting a Bluetooth transmitter connected to my friends TV

I have bought this and is working great with my ComPilot.

My friend bought one but as she lives with other people, she’s struggling to make it work so her hearing house mates can hear the TV as well.

Does anyone have any ideas on whether she can buy a cable or something to allow it to work for both her and her hearing house mates?

(I understand that it maybe different in the US so you may not be able to help me.)

TVs are tricky. Sometimes using audio out will disable the audio to the speakers. There may or may not be settings that you can change on the TV.

2 Likes

Something that might help is the TV’s sound setting.
Under sound find Digital Audio Out.
Then find Audio Format
Then set that to PCM.
TV Connectors like that setting.

2 Likes

On my TV I run an optical cable from the TV to a DAC. The Bluetooth transmitter plugs into a 3.5mm jack on the DAC. The secret here is that although there’s nothing in the documentation or the tv settings to indicate this, the optical out is always on. I was told when I went looking for advice on this that this is the case for most late model TVs. My transmitter and my headphones both do AptX Low Latency, and that works fine. Any other version of Bluetooth and you’re going to get latency issues and a nasty echoing/booming effect for the party listening via a headset or hearing aids.

2 Likes

Your solution sounds very nice for appropriate headphones. I second you suggestion of using the optical output of TVs - my ancient Panasonic flatscreen TV has an optical output - I connect a TV Adapter for my hearing aids to that output.

If the goal is to stream to hearing aids rather than headphones, typically the manufacturer of the hearing aid offers a TV adapter that may stream directly to the hearing aids or to an intermediary device that sends a different signal to the hearing aids. For example, my Oticon OPN S 1 aids work with a TV Adapter 3 from Oticon with a specified latency from the audio input to the TV adapter to the output of the hearing aid receiver. That latency is 25 msec for analog audio, 28 msec for optical (TOSLINK), and 45 for Dolby Digital (TOSLINK). I found that in the technical reference document for the adapter - the information is not in the user guide.

Looking for the aptX low latency specifications, I find at apex.com a specification of “Approximately 4 ms latency …”. So it appears that the HA manufacturer TV adapters achieve similar latency to aptX low latency, probably by running proprietary protocols over the same frequency band as Bluetooth. Searching the FCC database one finds that the Oticon TV adapter runs both Bluetooth and another radio in the unlicensed 2.5 GHz band. One nice feature of the Oticon adapter is the optical output it has so you can insert it between a source like the TV and another audio output device like a sound bar.

I have seen reports of really long latency over typical Bluetooth (hundreds, not tens of msec). Many inexpensive Bluetooth devices don’t specify latency and that may mean it was not a high priority.

Oops - typo. The aptX low latency is 40 not 4 msec.

I was worried about this but this seems to really work. The sound and lip patterns seem to line up for me. I was quite surprised.

I’ve got a TV Link, in fact I’ve got 2 (thanks @Raudrive :wink: ) I spend a lot of time round my sisters and brothers house preforming Aunties duties so my TV Links are round their houses. The Bluetooth adaptor is for my house.

EDIT- Not 100% sure why my friend won’t get a TV Link. I know she has lost her job thanks to the lockdown.

Very important if you have open domes and also hear sound from the TV speakers. I doubt the ComPilot supports AptX.