Help to ask the right questions and tests when setting the Phonak Naida UP

Hi, my mother is using a Phonak Naida UP that will be “connected” to the AB cochlear implant in the near future. Right now the problem we have is my (old) mother being not much collaborative when the audiologist tries to fit the aid. But, after reading the Target manual, I’ve seen in incredible number of “options” that we never tried during the fitting sessions… and two hour driving to return with nothing new is frustrating.

Of course we have no way to “experiment” changes in the calm environment of her house and at clinic my mother starts to be anxious and not giving feedback to the audiologist.

Typically she says she’s not hearing and to raise the volume, but I suspect we’re moving in the wrong direction!

So I would like to know more about what I can ask to try to the audiologist and explain with calm to my mother the day before that we need to experiment and step by step find the best fitting. She has a really severe loss and the main things to improve are the conversation with other people (usually from one to three), using the phone and listen to TV. About TV, they suggested to use the TV connect device.

To tell the full story, until a week ago, she was using the Naida PR (the rechargeable one) but it is not compatible with the AB implant. I thought the fitting could be “copied” but with the new Naida she’s experiencing a worse hearing, she can barely understand me at phone (while before it was able to get a conversation).

Any help is really appreciated!

Anna.
ps: sorry for my English I’m not a native speaker.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
Learning Target is a huge help.
Reading as much as possible here on the forum is another big help.

Taking as many notes as you can about problems and also good things and the environment you are in at the time is also a big help for the fitter. These notes should be welcomed by your audiologist. Not to mention all your help too.

Good luck with this.

2 Likes