Help me adjust that annoying "S" "SH" problem in Marvel 90R Autosense & Media streaming using Target

Greetings folks…Once again I need a small bit of guidance in fixing a particular audio problem I have with my Marvel 90R HA’s. I use Target and Noahlink wireless to self fit and subsequently tune and fine tune HA output.

My current issue has to do with fine tuning. The specific problem I am having relates to the sound of a spoken word that contains the consonant “s”. For example, If you were to say to me the phrase “Simple Simon sells seashells by the seashore” this is what I am hearing with both male and female voices in a “calm” setting:

Shimple Shimon shells sheshells by the sheshore

Using Target to fine tune that problem away I wonder if I should “fix” “too much lisping” or perhaps “too shrill”.

I just KNOW that Blacky, or one of you other self fitting gurus, will help with a little direction on this problem. As always I appreciate the knowledge and help I’ve received in the past!!

I had this issue because of Sound Recover 2. I turned it off and it solved the problem.

1 Like

Zebras: Thank you. I do have RS2 enabled on both aids and I will give your suggestion a shot when I open Target again to do adjustments…probably later this afternoon!

You could try reducing SR2 by one click to see if it helps, first before turning it off completely?

Yes, zebras, you already had me thinking about that. I do know that I can adjust for more distinction or more audibility and to further adjust for comfort or clarity. So I will play with those adjustments as well. Thanks

It’s mid to high frequency that can help with this, but best way to find out and a good way to train/teach yourself is to use Phonak targets own “Guru” the “automatic fine tuning” not only does it make changes automatically,you can actually see on the fly what is being changed, perfect for training just like a pro!

1 Like

Thanks Tenkan…I had already tried auto fine tune a couple times but was unable to find a curative fix. I did try Zebras suggestion to disable SR2 and I did so on a global basis…and it worked. Got rid of the problem. He also suggested not globally disabling SR2 and instead just going into the SR2 settings and fiddling with those adjustments in an effort to leave some functionality in SR2 while eliminating the “s sh” issue. I haven’t tried that yet. Thanks for your input here.

Yeah that’s good results, for me the SoundRecover didn’t give me that issue, I got a warbling type in certain situations, I eventually turned it off altogether.

Looking at your audiogram you do need to use SR2.
I do not recommend turning it off.
You can slowly adjust it up to give your brain time to adjust between adjustments or just get after it. This will be odd for a while until you acclimate.
Once you adjust to SR I bet you will like it. So many new sounds.

1 Like