Help interpreting fitting audiogram

My first go at programming my Resound Azures is pretty much fantastic. Being able to experiment endlessly and try the settings out in the real world has already gotten me way past the work of the (very helpful!) audiologist I last saw. It’s also helped me get along much better in – and enjoy! – my new job.

That having been said, I’d like to better understand the graphic information Aventa is giving me. The two versions of the gain diagram are shown below (or appear as attachments?). Help in figuring this out would be much appreciated!

In the second chart, “J” looks to me like the inverse of my audiogram, i.e. the gain that would be necessary to give me a flat frequency response (at the level at which the original hearing test was conducted). Pretty sure.

“E” is clearly the maximum SPL output of the aid, at any given frequency.

“G” and “I” are the gain settings for a 50dB and 80dB SPL output, by frequency. But here’s one place I’m getting (more) confused.

“F” and “H” can’t be varied, and I’m assuming they show the gain that would be necessary for “flat” perception, at 50dB and 80dB SPL. Or do they? I can’t figure out why they would be so different in shape than “J.” I realize – or I think I do – that the Fletcher-Munson effect would change the shape of the ideal curves at different levels. But these two – “F” and “H” – don’t seem to look the way I’d imagine they would. And, the shape of these curves seems to some extent constant. I tried putting in really different audiograms and these curves came out looking a lot like this no matter what.

As for the first chart – I see that “B” and “D” are the gain/frequency response of the aid at two different levels (50dB and 80dB SPL?), and “A” and “C” are ideal curves. But other than that I can’t figure this chart out at all.

I realize this is asking a lot, but I did look all over the place and couldn’t find this info.

And thank you! – this forum has been hugely helpful. I wouldn’t have been able – or had the nerve – to try this without all of you.

I don’t usually look at the 2nd screen you have shown in Aventa as I’m used to working off the 1st you have pictured. On that one:

A=target gain for soft sounds (50dB)
B=current gain for soft sounds
C=target gain for loud sounds (80 dB)
D=current gain for loud sounds

green shaded area=where feedback may occur

Looks like you’re probably on the first time user setting or have turned down the gain for the right ear (don’t see the left on here, I assume that is the focus ear)

Thanks, audiogal! I was on the first-time user setting, though I’m not that, so I’ve changed it. Which I see gives more gain all around.

Thanks for your advice, and it’s easier to do the gain settings looking at that screen – the current vs. target gain, that is.

It’s interesting about the overall gain, because I think like a lot of people I’ve probably had the gain down too low because of telling the audiologist something like, ouch, it’s too loud. Now that I can set the gain myself, and particularly the compression ratio (via 50dB/80dB gain difference at any given frequency – am I right?) I can work on the areas where I’m having trouble hearing, and also deal with the stuff that simply sounds too loud.

It’s interesting and a little disturbing to be able to hear again. I’ve kind of been faking it with the two kinds of aids I’ve used (Widex Senso first, now Resound Azure), just kind of getting by.

My biggest problem now is in acoustically atrocious classrooms. I’m trying to think of situations where I could reasonably drag in my laptop and Hi-Pro box, and try fitting in the real world.

Anyway, thank you again. This is really fun!