Help For A Newbie

Hi,

I’m 69 years old and just got a hearing test and the Doc says that I have “moderately severe to profound” hearing loss which sounds bad but is not surprising to me as my hearing has been going downhill for several years. I’m outdoors a lot so can anyone give me suggestions on what hearing aids might work for me? I was the thinking the BTE’s might be a good way to go but I have no idea what to look for. Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Hz.250…500…750…1K…1.5K…2K…3K…4K…6K. .8K
R…20… .15……10…10……55…60…85…80…90…75
L…20……20…15…10……60…60….80…90…85…70

I think the skill of your professional is at least as important as the brand/model you choose. You could take the paper copy of your hearing test results (or ask for it from your Doc) and visit a few audiologists (4 or 5) and see what they recommend and see how comfortable you are with their skill and manner, return policies, prices, etc. Then pick one.

I am trying out a Behind-the Ear (BTE) that has the receiver (speaker) in the ear canal. That style is usually called a RIC or RITE (Receiver in the ear). I guess I’m settled on this style and it seems to be working well. I really wanted the open fit and I’m getting that with my current pair. Style of hearing aid and the possibility of being “open” are things you might want to think about and ask questions about.

I’m not getting any feedback with the Resound Future (Costco). I liked the Rexton Cobalts (a Siemens brand) and they are chocked full of features but I could not get an open fit with my loss without having feedback when my hand got close or sometimes with just some random sounds. I had a Starky Destiny CIC style and I liked it also, great sound and no feedback.

Thanks Don, I have a copy of the test from my Doc and do plan on visiting a few audiologists. Really appreciate the feedback on your experiences with the different hearing aids. That will help me as I figure this out.

dear sir at 2k 3k and 4k the loss is more i suggest you to use powerful hearing aid either pure 501 or resound spark bte, the cost may be around $2200 for pure ,and spark around $1111 ,so please try these according to your budget.ravikiran

I would recommend seeing an audiologist too, there are so many brands now, with the phonak ambra, oction, widex clear and others that have been mentioned starkey and resound, they all have great specifications and will help improve the hearing loss whilst you are outside. I would do some back ground research first have a look at the actual websites and have a look at the specs. I have personally loved the phonak ambra and it is great for being absolutely anywhere, it has really boosted my confidence. However an audiologist will be able to see what is going to benefit you. Hope you get on ok. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t recomend Sparx in a high frequency hearing loss!! If you want to buy a Resound hearing aid then you sould have a look at Alera 961 - 761 - 561 with High Power Receiver in the canal. If you don’t mind the size then you could also have a look at Resound’s Live 971- 771 - 571 BTE or with High Power Receiver in the canal. One thing you should ask for is Open Fit.

Resound Alera: www.resound.com/products/hearing/alera.aspx

Resound Live: www.resound.com/products/hearing/ReSoundLive.aspx

First off, I really dislike use of terms like ‘moderately severe to profound.’ In fact I think these terms are being misused here, since the statement doesn’t accurately reflect the mild nature of the loss at the low frequencies.

Let me introduce you to a new word; occlusion. That’s the sensation you get if you stick your fingers in your ear and try to speak. And that is going to be your biggest issue with any hearing aids that you wear. Many conventional styles of hearing aids will serve to block up the ear and make your own voice sound weird, like your head was in a barrel.

The other issue, is that right out to 1K, your hearing is basically in the normal range. If all your hearing were that good, you would not dream of wearing a hearing aid.

So the goal of a hearing aid should be to not block the ears, so as to guard against the occlusion effect, and to allow your natural good hearing to continue unimpeded.

Then we want to add a high frequency lift to clarify your hearing.

This would be best achieved with an open fit aid, and these are typically offered in a RIC format, but some companies offer an open fit CIC, although that would be my second choice for you.

I met with a patient just yesterday and had him listen to some Starkey Wi hearing aids programmed for his loss. He was impressed with the clarity, even in some very noisy situations we walked into.

I believe a system such as that would be wonderful for this loss. Or at a lower price, a non-wireless version of the same technology.

My reason for recommending Starkey is the fact that they have the best feedback cancellation system available, giving more high frequency lift, with less chance of feedback (whistling). I’ve yet to see another brand that can reliably come close to 25dB of added stable gain, without restricting frequency output.

I agree with you ZCT, he must have an open fit. It’s true that Starkey has the best feedback cancellation system but Resound’s DFS isn’t bad either and their hearing aids are smaller in size. It is a difficult decision to take and I think he has to try both of them in order to see which is the best for him.