Help a newbie, Phonak Naida or Oticon Safari?

Hi to you all!!!

Firstly, thanks for having this great forum!

My story is : we have a 19 mnth old daughter that was diagnosed at birth with severe hearingloss on both ears. Her audiogram is quite similar for both ear (from 500-70db to 4000-90db). She is our first and only child. None of our families have hearing issues, hence everything is all new to us.

She is using Phonak Savia Art now, but our audiologist have made arrangements to switch to new hearing aids so that our daughter can get better gain in the high frequencies. The audiologist ordered Phonak Naida, but since Oticon has the new product Safari, the audiologist recommended us to try that one. Since it’s smaller and easier to program.

That’s when we started to investigate more about hearing aids. What I read about Naida’s technology seems very good, but I have the impression that Naida’s are hard to program, and since our daughter can’t really give exact feedback I’m worried it will hard to get the right adjustments. The Safari on the other hand is very new, and there is none ‘real users’ feedback yet. But have I understood it right that Safari is equivalent to Chili? Because there is a really good thread discussing about Chili’s features.

Is there anybody who can give me some advice on which one to pick, based on their experience and knowlegde with the technologies?

We talked to another audiologist at a oral school for infant-toddler-preschooler, and she spoke for the Naida for our daughter (based only on the audiogram). I like the fact that it will take away the very annoying feedback whisling (our daughter is getting active and pull the hearing aids out when it whisles), but am not too sure if I like the ‘transposisional stuff’, which supposedly is the most important feature to help our daughter. That’s because I imagine it will sound weird/unatural for her, but maybe that’s better than not any sound at all… She does produce ‘s/sh’ and lately also ‘f’ alike sounds.

Someone also suggested to trial the products, but again, since our daughter is so young, I don’t think we can get a real good feedback from her.

Sorry about the long thread, but we are really in need of help!
Thank you for reading!:slight_smile:

Safari has a new product call safari SP 900, 600 and 300. It is really a chilli
with all its features with the lED lighting. I have fitted quite a few safaris they are great instrument…

I never know what to say to people dealing with a young child with a hearing loss. All my experiences with my hearing loss took place as a teenager and as an adult. Just how do you know if the aids you buy will help your child, who is unable to give you any feedback. Obviously you have to rely heavily on the experience and expertise of the audiologist. I have had some experience with phonak, which is a leading company for hearing aids and a pioneer when it comes to peripherals. But I have also had experience with Oticon which also is a quality company who stand behind their products. Whenever I had a problem with their aids which wasn’t often they replaced them no questions asked instead of repairing them. Naida’s can be tricky to program, and with no feedback from the user I can’t imagine how you would get it right. I have also seen a lot of complaints regarding the naidas’s although I admit I have also seen a lot of positive comments too. The safari seems suited especially for children. Since your audiologist recommends the Safari and assuming you are comfortable with him and trust him I would certainly consider the safari. Like I said Oticon is a quality company so I wouldn’t be concerned about that. I did test the Naida’s and I never really liked the sound quality and was very dissappointed with the music program.
And good luck. I know this can’t be easy for you.

There is a well know protocol for fitting kids. All of us who deal with kids use the
DSL. DSL is a fitting protocol as well as prescriptive formula.
If you follow my posts on the forum Im a strong advocate for verification. the idea is to pack soft, medium and loud sounds in between your child residual hearing (dinamic range) the only way to verify this is using speech mapping- check www.dslio.com

Hask12: Thanks for your respons and empati! It’s nice to know that the companies are reliable.

xBulder: Thank you for giving me more insight!

Unfortunately I couldn’t find the posts for verification (newbie to forum usage too… have lost two replies and trying again…) Could you please direct me?

I did however read about DSL. Even though I didn’t understand all the terms, it was comforting to learn about the fitting protocol for kids.

Speech mapping on the other hand seems difficult. I don’t know how our 19 month old will tolerate a probe in her ears and sit still for 5 min??? Hope I haven’t misunderstood here.

May I also ask if you could do a little walk thru on what steps, tests…etc I should expect our audiologist do when fitting the new hearing aids?
Is there also a prefered earmold material for toodlers? The ones she has now I find too rigid.
Thanks in advance!

this should answer your question. We use an alternative in infants call Real Ear coupler difference

check this out… This is how is done with the verifit. Which is consider the standart machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYotF2KiXo0

Thanks alot xBulder!
We’ll be getting the Safari for trial this thursday!!! Very excited!

Will report back :slight_smile:

I’m curious about your opinion on the Safari now that you’ve had then for a bit. We are trying to decide on new HA’s for our 3 yr-old. And the choice is down to the Safari and Naida.

I didn’t see this message when it was first posted several months ago. My son is 13 now and wearing Naida V SP. This is his third pair of HA. He got his first at 16 months and they were some basic analog aids. At 5 he got Oticon Digifocus II and we noticed a huge jump in his speech and hearing ability. When he was 10 or11 he got the Naidas. That was the first time he really started giving much feedback to programming them. Recently I had him try on his Digifocus to see if he could use them as backups while we send his Naidas in for a tune up. He said they sounded weird. So they get used to the compression with the sound recover. He had lots of speech therapy so he’s never had “deaf speech”.
Since the real young kids don’t give much feedback I’d go with whatever the audiologist is most familiar and comfortable with programming. And lots of speech therapy. Goodluck.

Hello all!

Sorry for not replying sooner, it has been a hectic period for us.

XBulder: I want to thank you again for all the educational information you directed to us. Luckily, our audiologist used all the methods that I learned about. It was very exciting and interesting to be more aware of what was going on when we got the new aids.

Dan: We ended up with a pair of Oticon Safari 600. At first I noticed quite a difference in pronouciation meaning more accurate, but after some weeks, she seems to be more sloppy, and the gain was not that obvious. Anyhow, she does detect high frequency sounds like birds and ‘s’ ‘f’ etc. Since we didn’t try Phonak Naida I can’t compare those, but the biggest difference from the previous Phonak was the feedback. I don’t know if all can be attributed to the HA brand, or just that she also got new kinds of earmolds, but she can now wear HA and lay her head on my shoulder or the bed without them making the whisling feedback sound.
The blinking light indicator is kind of both good and bad. It’s a little “confusing” when we at first+others around see the blinking. It initiate questions about the HA, and if it’s working properly. Since my daughter do have hair that cover the HA quite well, it’s been times that we’ve missed out that the battery has run flat. In that way I do miss the old ones which beeped before dying.
Another thing is the battery compartment. I’m not too pleased with the mechanics there, because closing and opening is not accurate; meaning that there were times I felt like it was closed, but in reality I could see a little gap left, so I had to push one extra time. And when opening, it can go the whole way up and the battery can fall out easily. That is not so good, since the children accidently can put the battery in their mouth.

Mauren: Thank you for taking your time to share your experience! I guess we do adapt to most of things, so maybe the most important thing is that the HA give the user access to the sounds, and not how the sound actually sounds. I’m happy though that my daughter seems to do well with these new HA, even she can’t give much feedback.

The journey is still in the beginning for us, but thanks for sharing everyone!

Safari is Chili ?
No diifference? Not even in size and fitting range?

the Safari SP is like the children’s version of the chilli
the difference can be found here

the Safari is also childproof but there’s a tamper resistant battery door and since she’s a baby, it is highly recommended using that along with the mutitool so she can’t get into the door so it’s designed to be opened with this tool :3

BTW, I have the Safari 600 and it runs great without any technical issues and it’s much better than my 2nd aids since I’m requiring alot of power LOL