Hello - First Post

I just wanted to say hi, I have been trolling for about 2 weeks. I am hearing impaired and found this site in my quest to learn more about my loss and solutions. For years I have relied on the experience of others but I am changing lanes and taking charge.

My audiologist appoint is next week, I plan to have my hearing tested again as well as discuss the aids I have and new technologies. Great site I might add, looking forward to some of the usual guidance I see around here.

I am a 33 yr male, loss is often referred to as cookie, it is hereditary and not going to get better.

Anything I should know before the visit ?

Hi richardalan1975

Welcome to the forums! If you want to learn about hearing aids, you’ve come to the right place. There are a bunch of very knowledgeable users here, plus some very active professionals, both HIS and Audiologists. If you have some specific things you’re interested in, I’d suggest using the search button first, because there’s a good chance it’s already been discussed, at least a little. It sounds like you’ve been wearing hearing aids for awhile, so you’ve got a leg up on some of us. I’ve been wearing mine for a little less than 5 months now and don’t want to look back. I’ve got a typical moderate HF loss, and wear a pair of open fit BTE aids. Very satisfied so far. So, don’t be afraid to ask questions, both here and with you Audiologist. Later.


Male, 61, Southern California

Thanks, is there a list of all the abbreviations I am missing?

Hi richardalan1975

You may be able to find a list somewhere on the internet, but here are a a few you’ll see here on the forums (in no particular order):

BTE - Behind the Ear (hearing aid style that sits between your head and the top part of your ear.
OTE - Over the Ear (same as BTE)
HA - Hearing Aid
HOH - Hard of Hearing
ENT - This is an MD that specializes in diagnosing and treating medical problems (pathology) that involve the Ear, Nose and Throat.
AuD or Audi - Doctor of Audiology. These are very highly trained medical professionals, who have somewhat less training than an MD. They specialize in testing and evaluating a patient’s hearing, and recommending and dispensing hearing aids.
HIS - Hearing Instrument Specialist (HIS). This is a state licensed professional with education and experience (less education than an AuD) in recommending and dispensing hearing aids. An HIS performs many of the same tasks as an AuD.
CIC - Completely in the Canal. A hearing aid style that sits completely inside the ear canal.
Audiogram - That’s your hearing test, and shows how well you hear different frequency tones.
HF an LF - high frequency (those up around 4khz to 8khz) and low frequency (down around 250Hz to 1kHz). These are the numbers, left to right, on your audiogram. The numbers up and down are in decibels or db. Different people have losses at different points. Take a look at:
RITE (receiver in the ear), CRT (Canal Receiver Technology), RIC (Receiver in the Canal) - Trade names, and all mean the same thing. A hearing aid with the output transducer (the speaker) on a tiny wire actually inside the ear canal. Usually used with a BTE style HA.
Thin Tubes - Not really an abbreviation. Thin tubes are small clear tubes that carry the sound into the ear canal, again with a BTE HA.
Aid - Shortened from Hearing Aid
Instrument - Hearing Aid

TLA - Three Letter Acronym (remember, TLA is a TLA) :smiley:

Well, that’s not a bad start. OK everyone, chip in with what I’ve missed.


Oh yeah, welcome to the forums. Don’t be shy!