Hearing Tracker on Facebook

Have any of you been seeing these Facebook posts?

I have really enjoyed the Facebook Hearing Tracker posts.
For the most part educational but also entertaining.

5 Likes

I just joined there the other day; lots of good discussion. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I hope this forum never Modesto FB because if it does, I’ll lose it and its benefits. The Masters of the Universe are going to have to do without me in their net.

3 Likes

Also, AFAIK, Facebook does not have the powerful interface that this forum does. I guess the more ways that Hearing Tracker has to interact with the public and sustain itself the better for its existence. However, IMHO, Facebook, like Twitter, is about the lowest common denominator in social interaction.

A particularly irksome thing about the Facebook interface, at least as far as I’ve experienced it, is the “AI”-editing of post displays to simplify and organize posts in a way to attract outside viewers. If you come upon something you’d like to follow, you have to spend half your time clicking and expanding threads and subthreads you’d like to read and follow-up on. The “AI” of hearingtracker.com is annoying enough at times. Facebook takes that sort of stuff to a new level, IMHO, but perhaps the owner of a particular commercial Facebook site has more control over their site interface?

Related to this “managing” on Facebook, it’s very hard for me to find my “old stuff” on FB.
HearingTracker.com is marvelous in the way it allows you to go back into the past. And we want to give that up for FacePlant? :frowning_face:

4 Likes

I agree, facebook can die off for all I care. They have nefarious privacy practises (see how/why Mozilla introduced “facebook container” recently) and the threads are nearly impossible to navigate once they are more than a couple of weeks old.

I recommend signing up for this newsletter: Hearing Health Matters. This is where Marshall Chasin contributes.

4 Likes

I’m a hesitant Facebook user myself. I joined when it was still university access only, and have maintained an account there ever since … I have tried and failed numerous times to migrate my friends and family to more privacy-focused alternatives. Wikipedia is the latest entry … After watching the Cambridge Analytica scandal unfold, I’m more convinced than ever that Facebook is a net negative social force, and it was with hesitance that I created the companion Facebook group for this forum… Another reason I dislike the Facebook group renaissance is that many google-indexable communities are becoming inaccessible to the broader www … Meaning the valuable community interactions seen on forums like this one become inaccessible and undiscoverable to the masses. Having said all that, I realize that there are some people that simply prefer Facebook as a medium for social engagement… And then those that just don’t do traditional forums… I sincerely hope that this www forum doesn’t lose steam as the new generation comes up.

5 Likes

Agree I’m subscribed to that …

I finally joined Facebook about a year ago. It was really nice hearing from people I had not heard from in 30-40 years. Quickly made about 150 friends then everything turned into politics, rumors and nonsense.
Deleted all but a few close friends.

Facebook is constantly putting up advertisements that I don’t care for but I do enjoy the Hearingtracker videos.

This is why I brought this thread up to see if others were seeing them too.

1 Like

I am a member of an online motorcycle group that recently started a private “group” on facebook as well. Since it started it has been very active,to the detriment of our original “forum”. I am saddened by this since I met many people there who have become great friends. It seems that the post count on Facbook is greater but the meaty content isn’t there, it is more of a hi good to see you --see you later thing, In make an appearance and out the door. Ohh well it is life in the age we live in, if we want to participate we can or we can just move on.:smiley:

2 Likes

Perhaps an advantage of Facebook is that it costs a lot less to have a presence there than it does to run your very own forum here. OTH, given the popularity of Facebook, maybe it represents yet another way to redirect users/visitors seeking more advanced knowledge here.

I just think that since the overall modus operandi of Facebook is: “let’s not get too complicated here, let’s not get too involved, folks don’t have time for and interest in fine details…,” that Facebook is the wrong place for a forum where users seek answers to solutions. With hearing problems it so often seems that “the devil is in the details….”

I agree w/ what you stated. Maybe you could every so often put in a link to this forum as I think it has more substance than FB. So far I haven’t noticed too much difference in the FB posts and here. So Far. I live this forum and have gain much great knowledge and information. Thank you Abram & all members.

2 Likes

The great thing is that this is happening organically already!

I think a lot of people have probably discovered this forum through that one, and that trend will probably only continue as that group grows.

I was asked to join a private FB group set up for the organization that I volunteer for they use it for group communication. I deleted my account because I could not tolarate how invasive FB is and their lack of honest privacy issues. I struggled through their instructions to lock down my account and after I had jumped through their hoops I noticed hidden in the text at the bottom of the page that it said even though I had chose to stop all sharing of my data that they would still continue to collect and share my date and send ads or other items they might chose to in the future. I had already sold all of my FB stock before this experience and have no regrets. my opinion FB is a company that needs to go away. If FB is the only way I can communicate with people or collect info then I’ll do without it. Didn’t mean to vent but i don’t miss FB at all.

4 Likes

I wish everyone felt that way @Grandpaw

1 Like

I tried FB once–just to see how it worked–A few days later I got a friend request from the sister of a disabled gentleman I used to work with. (He has since moved on to a better place.) Recognizing who she was I accepted the request.
A few days after that I got a request from the daughter of a former supervisor (in my opinion the supervisor OF hell). I had met the daughter only one time; briefly, at a funeral. So I asked myself–“Do I want THAT WOMAN to have a connection with the gentleman’s family through me?”
The answer was NO! I immediately deleted my account and never looked back. I maintained contact with the gentleman’s family for several years using my private email account instead.

1 Like

I hate to say it but I joined Facebook for Marketplace.
Good place to sell things.

1 Like

I enjoy the various memes on Facebook that people dig up from I don’t know where! Perhaps it’s a great place for the stand-up comics of the future to audition.

1 Like

The Facebook group is nice because of the additional content / interactions that are not in this forum. I feel like people are more comfortable asking questions there. But, Facebook is not very searchable. In contrast, the Hearing Tracker posts gets indexed in Google, and that is probably how I found Hearing Tracker in the first place. In short, I think the forum is more organized, while the Facebook group is more casual.

1 Like

I’d like Facebook to go away, but while it’s there I have a hard time not using it. If that makes sense… I don’t suppose anyone remembers Usenet? I used to subscribe to the hearing loss group there. There used to be some incendiary flame wars from time to time- mostly revolving around the cost of hearing aids (sound familiar?).

I may have the longest history of using the internet for hearing loss support of anyone here. You’d think I’d know something by now…

2 Likes

I vaguely remember Usenet.