Hearing the television

I just got my hearing aids yesterday. I know there will be a lot to get used to but i have one question. How long should it take to be able to hear the television? Right now it sounds terrible. It sounds like cheap speakers and I can’t understand what is being said. Can anyone help me?

0 Likes

Welcome!

First: much depends on your hearing! Lots of people post their audiograms here, but knowing a little about your hearing loss can help a lot. Are you young or old? Have you had a long, slow decline, or a sudden loss of hearing?

That said, it usually takes me a day or two to adjust to new aids. At first, you hear lots of things you haven’t been hearing in years — echoes off walls, birds chirping, frogs croaking — and al that can be messy. It gets better fast.

Also, talk to your audiologist! There’s LOTS to adjust in modern hearing aids. You might not even have the right kind of aid for you.

0 Likes

You should be able to hear the television, but that of course depends on your loss. It would be helpful if you updated your audiogram loss and gave some details on what kind of hearing aids you have and what kind of fittings; open, closed, or custom mold and vent?

0 Likes

It is not unusual for some sounds to be unclear for a while, until your brain learns to interpret the new sound. Does it sound a little better if you turn down the hearing aids a little?

If you have had hearing loss for a long time it will take longer to adjust.

0 Likes

Does your t.v. have an equalizer? If it does use it to adjust the sound so you can hear it .I did that on my t.v. and I only have to set the volume at 8 or 9.

0 Likes

Depending on your aids you may need a tv streamer to hear the tv well. With my prior Resounds and current Oticons I have had the streamers and they are wonderful. Difference of night and day for me. Without the streamers I can hear the tv but really have to concentrate. With the streamers it’s crystal clear and enjoyable to watch.

0 Likes

Lgbuck62 - what do you mean by a tv streamer?

0 Likes

Have you tried changing the sound settings on your TV? Mine set itself/my 2yr old set it to sports mode which blends dialogue more into the background. It may have an equaliser you can set yourself

0 Likes

A TV Streamer is an accessory sold for your particular hearing aids. They allow streaming direct to your hearing aids from the TV. It would seem that one advantage would be the ability to turn the volume up without disturbing others in the house? I don’t need one, but many do. If anything I turn the TV volume down lower than others like. See this link.

[TV Streamer](http://I don’t need one, but many do.)

0 Likes

This is the one I use with my Oticon’s https://wdh02.azureedge.net/-/media/oticon-us/main/download-center/opn-wireless-connectivity/ifu/168366us-ifu-tv-adapter-3.pdf?rev=E453&la=en

0 Likes

What is the name of the hearing aids and from where you buy this?

0 Likes

I have Resound hearing aids and have found a Resound TV streamer on Amazon for $349. There is also one shown in some literature my audiologist gave me. If things don’t improve soon I’m going to check with her. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

0 Likes

It’s sounds is so cool and too good to my ear. I set up it with my TV and equalize the sound from 1 year.

0 Likes

Your link doesn’t go anywhere.

0 Likes

Hi,

You should probably visit or talk to your audiologist because maybe they need a little adjustments. Tell your audiologist about your problem that you cannot hear properly the sound from the television. They will help you do some test again and adjustment to ensure everything will be okay. You will get used to it.

0 Likes

I read a comment by someone here who said that after getting new aids you have to have a dozen follow up appointments for adjustments. I think that was a good estimate.

0 Likes

I am going for adjustment number 3 today. Also getting the Resound tv receiver.

0 Likes

You can contact some dynamics to the televisor

0 Likes