Hearing musical tones in my Oticon Opn miniRITE

Has anyone else had this problem??

I started having trouble hearing one day with my aids in. I couldn’t figure out what was happening as hearing, even with the aids in was terrible. Several days passed and I heard the musical tones in my right aid go off about six hours after putting them in! That surprised me because I never had that happen before. Something was going wrong with my aids. The tones had gone on as usual that morning when putting them on, but here they were, going off a second time, right in the middle of the day.

Then four or five days passed and the musical tones started up again in the middle of the day in the right aid only. This continued at least once a week for the last few weeks. Then something different has happened. The tones started up in the late afternoon, but this time from the left aid. A week has gone past now and no tones have reoccurred. My hearing is still bad. I put in new speaker filters, but that didn’t help. I made an appointment at my clinic thinking the audiologist could help. She put them through some kind of a diagnostic, and put in two new speakers, but said they couldn’t find anything wrong with them. Perhaps they should be sent in for repair. I don’t want to send them in through my clinic because the cost is $500 for repair and no real warranty on the work. She told me they seldom have any problems with Oticon aids and sometimes will put in all new inner workings to resolve issues.

I’m in a quandry. I’ve been using aids for three years and certainly am no expert. I have searched out one particular on-line hearing aid repair website that “has been in the business for 20 years” and fixes all brands and styles, even old ones, for half the cost of the clinic. They get really great reviews, so I am leaning toward sending them in to that website. It means I will be without hearing support for a week to 10 days. The thought of being without them is terrible. My marriage will probably be skating on thin ice by the time I get them back!

Three things that may or may not be important. I remembered that the audiologist had set up my aids to answer through my iphone not long before the music notes starting going off. Could that have triggered this musical tone thing and bad hearing?

Secondly, I do notice that my tinnitus seems worse. And lastly, for whatever it’s worth, I am using the 100 speaker now. I can hear much better than with the smaller original, but I am having an awful time making them stay in. They are just toooooo big and no matter what size dome I use, they keep slipping out. It’s embarrassing to be poking them in in public. Audiologist told me “don’t worry about pulling them out by the wire as the wire is very strong”. So I do pull them out by the wire They are in so far that I can’t grasp the speaker without using the wire to pull them out. Could pulling the wire have caused some damage?

Signed
At a loss in Virginia

You may be better off with a custom tip. It sounds like they do not fit properly for you. Going from for instance a double dome tip to a slim custom tip will give a hard shell for the receiver to sit in which has eliminated our receiver damage as it is now a lot more protected. The fit of the aid will affect your hearing level significantly. I am not sure about the noises, it could be switching on and off which may be to do with the aid not sitting well on your ear. I think look at getting the fit right for you, this should improve the experience and hearing significantly with the right support. You shouldn’t need to keep touching your aid.

Thanks for your reply back. I got the idea that a custom tip is very expensive, though I don’t know exactly what the cost is. Do you? I didn’t know that if the part that goes into the ear doesn’t fit properly it would affect my hearing, but that would seem to be true. Can others on this forum verify that? I am constantly pushing the large 100 back into both ears throughout the day. I do admit that the 100 speaker greatly improved my hearing. Oticon needs to figure out how to reduce the physical size of the speaker without losing it’s power.

The switching on and off hasn’t reoccurred.

Tinkyp: I’m not understanding/visualizing your second sentence: “Going from for instance a double dome tip to a slim custom tip will give a hard shell for the receiver to sit in which has eliminated our receiver damage as it is now a lot more protected.”
What is a double dome tip or is that not important? I’m using the 100 tip with a “miniFit Bass 10mm Single Vent” dome. Thanks much !

Fit is an integral part of the results for you, and if you have a ric aid, (I am thinking of an F2 Evoke), the double dome is the “off the shelf” soft rubbery plastic tip the receiver is placed in. When using a double dome my hearing satisfaction really dropped as it is not tailor made specifically for your ear so you get less clarity. After going to a custom tip (this means you will have impressions made for your ear and a small hard shell tip made to place the receiver in) hearing volume and clarity was back to excellent. With the off the shelf double dome the wire came under some stress every time it was removed and we replaced it several times a year. When the receiver was inserted into the custom tip it gives a hard shell that protects it and you use the little pull stick on the custom tip to pull it out your ear, so you don’t stress the receiver section. I hope that makes sense. With regard to your hearing aid make, others will have far more experience but I am pleased to hear the switching on and off has stopped. The fit is so important. We have Widex so the custom tip is included as part of the price of the aid. It is so integral to how much the sound changes that every time you change the tip you have to change this on the Widex fitting software as it will increase and decrease how you are hearing all the frequencies. It is also recognised that a custom tip will always give better sound. I would imagine it to cost in the region of £100 for two but it will vary. I think if you can do it, it will revolutionise your hearing experience-but only so long as your dispenser then re does your fitting to take this into account. The Widex fitting software automatically leads the dispenser through this but some will still cut corners. The type of tip, vent size, feedback and sensogram must be redone every time this is changed with Widex and then you always get an excellent result. Good luck.

Thanks so much for your input. I will have to check with my audiologist and see what Oticon’s charge is for a custom fit. It makes all the sense in the world that the fit needs to be as good as can be. The 100 speaker is no where near fitting well. The aids are just three years old and I paid a considerable amount of money for them. Therefore a change wouldn’t be possible at this time in spite of the
problems. I have an appointment this coming week and see if a change in my prescription is possible or a switch in speakers. I have heard of Widex aids and will do some research on them. I read recently that they are considered near the top of the list of excellent devices. Thanks again. I will keep your thoughts in mind.

1 Like

The musical tones were probably the aids telling you something about their mode or status. The audiologist should know what all the different audible signals mean. But you can also probably find out from your hearing aid manufacturer’s website. They likely will have an area where you can download the user instructions.

As an example I used to have Phonak aids and when you put them into the “Master” program, they would play a little jingle to let you know. One aid developed a propensity to damp affecting the button that enabled you to change programs and if that aid got damp from sweat or rain, I would hear the jingle, sometimes continually. So keeping it dry until I could get the thing repaired was the answer.

Thanks to all here for replies to my questions. I ended up purchasing another set of hearing aids.