Hearing Much Worse After Back Surgery - Recommendations For New Hearing Aids (Speech Recognition)

I haven’t posted here in a long time. I’ve worn hearing aids for almost 30 years, and Phonak Naida B90-SP BTEs for the past 7 years. I’m 75 years old and fairly active, given a few physical issues I’ve had. In June, 2022 I had back fusion surgery, and I’m still healing, however, something strange happened to my senses: My vision got much better, and my hearing got worse!! (possible mini-stroke day after surgery, but I don’t recognize any lingering effects other than my hearing has bottomed out). Previously I had the typical problems of being able to understand what was being said in crowded situations, however, now it’s so bad that I have trouble understanding speech even one-on-one, face-to-face. (not a volume issue) I have an audiologist appointment in 4 weeks, and I will do my due diligence and conduct a lot of research, and I realize (or hope) that technology has advanced in the past several years with respect to speech recognition. So, I’m looking for recommendations as to what others would recommend. Although my audiologist leans towards Phonak, I’m definitely not committed to that brand, especially given my frustration level (and my wife’s). Thank you.

I’d say it depends on your word recognition scores. If they’re 50-60% or lower, you may want to consider getting an evaluation for a cochlear implant. An evaluation would give you a lot of info. If word recognition scores are higher, sticking with most recent Phonak Naida or other high powered BTE (like Oticon Xceed or Resound Enzo-Q) would be appropriate.

1 Like

This doesn’t sound like a subject that I would be seeking advice for on a public forum. I suggest you discuss this further with your doctors.

1 Like

@wrcoughlin Any reasons why you don’t like Phonak?
Could you share your frustrations you’ve had with Phonak HA?
Thx

Based on my personal experience if your word recognition scores are that low consider a hearing test from someone else to verify.
In 2018 my WRS were 56% and 34%. Late last year I decided to get checked out medically. Their hearing test shows WRS at 88% and 54%. The otologist says properly adjusted hearing aids should work. I have ordered some Oticon More 1 and have high hopes they can help b

An evaluation for cochlear implant will include a very thorough word recognition test.

1 Like

Yes, of course I’ll discuss it with my doctor. All I’m looking for is possible recommendations prior to my visit.

Yes, thanks. Last test I was borderline for cochlear …

@Baltazard I have absolutely nothing against these Phonaks. I’ve worn phonaks for probalby 20 years and previously Oticons. I take care of my hearing aids - clean and dry them daily and have the tubes changed a couple of times a year. My point was that I’m not ‘locked in’ to considering only phonak.

1 Like

@wrcoughlin :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3: :+1:t3:

You might get a bit more moving to a UP device (Phonak Naida P UP, Oticon Exceed UP), but if your current hearing aids are still functioning well and your earmolds are fitting well (weight fluctuations associated with surgery and recovery can certainly impact mold fit), they may still be enough to support your current hearing loss. In that case, I second the recommendation to move ahead with a cochlear implant evaluation. It may be your best route for improved hearing and if you get implanted in one ear the device you get may determine what new hearing aid you’ll want on the other ear.

1 Like

@Neville Now that you mention it, my earmolds do not fit that well anymore! They tend to work themselves loose and I have to push them back in tight several times a day. It’s kind of a subconscious action that I haven’t paid much attention to. Certainly this would be a good place to start, and a much less expensive option. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

3 Likes

Your hearing loss is better than mine. I have fitted eight clients of oticon and phonak hearing aids. You should look at Oticon Xceeds Tier 1 or 2 or Phonak Paradise P70-UP or P90-UP aids. I’m currently using P70-UP aids. I also have a pair of older Phonak V90-SP aids. You need to get a new full shell earmolds every two years. Your ear change every year.
Oticon is supposed to come out with new aids next month. Not sure if they are super power aids.