Hearing loss under 40, long term expectations

I am getting used to being a person who wears HA’s. I don’t know how long I’ve had hearing loss (definitely had some as a child that we thought resolved). My loss is mild (as you can see by my newly updated audiogram) and we aren’t sure of the exact cause. I’m curious what happens when age-related plays into existing hear loss. Is there a common age range where I am more likely to experience it? Are there things I should do to prepare? Do you have other advice? Given that I’m (barely) under 40, I will likely have hearing aids for 30-50 years (short of any technology), what advice do longterm wearers have?

1 Like

Most age related loss is a worsening of the higher frequencies. Your loss will likly do the same, which will actually flatten your loss. Advice: Keep wearing hearing aids. If you start having difficulties, followup with hearing aid fitter/audiologist.

7 Likes

My advice is to have your hearing checked out every year and the advice @mbd said. My fitter/audiologists does it for free yearly. That way the hearing program can be updated If there are any changes. Where your hearing aids so you can hear and enjoy life. I have had my from the age of 10. Good luck.

3 Likes

A recent study showed that age-related hearing loss is actually noise-related hearing loss over a long period of time. Therefore, it is not inevitable. Look after your ears by avoiding loud noises and- where possible- long exposure to moderate noise levels. Look after your health generally. Some studies say that a diet rich in anti-oxidants may be oto-protective.

Apart from that, what @MDB said. I was around thirty when I was diagnosed. The ENT said I’d be deaf by my current age. I’m not quite there yet.

3 Likes

@d_Wooluf Are you referring to this study?

As is so typical with information on the internet you’ve drawn conclusions (“is actually”) that the researchers themselves didn’t make. There’s plenty of uncertainty. The interviewed scientists use the word “may”. They don’t know (and it wasn’t the purpose of the study). It’s simply suggestive. You can’t turn a suggestion into a definition. Words matter.

3 Likes

Although it might be scant comfort, if you get normal presbyacusis (nerve deterioration) the subsequent ‘flattening’ of your hearing as you get older will actually make you easier to fit.

Reverse slopes ( like yours is now) can have poor outcomes even with verified fits as some people never acclimatise to the extra low noise interrupting their good HF.

Also, you’re unlikely to experience occlusion which is a definite benefit.

5 Likes

Now days in our modern world we are exposed to noise polution that is bad enough to worsen everyones hearing. I believe the ones of us that are fortunate enough to live out in the country, have a lesser issue with noise pollution, but that isn’t always true. I know that I have moved back to the country and gotten out of the city, and my hearing loss has slowed down. Also, I am fortunately that the towns around here are also small and there isn’t the noise polution that the big cities have.

Just wanted to echo what @hearingaiduser2020 said: DO have your hearing check annually. Because loss is typically gradual, you may not notice that you’re hearing less and less. The sooner your HAs can are adjusted to compensate, the better you’ll be able to adjust to the changes as well.
FYI, my loss has progressed since I was a child (I’m 60 now, FYI).
Good luck!

4 Likes

I have my hearing checked yearly it is part of my treatment buy my audiologists. My ent checks it more frequently as my hearing loss is complicated. I have had hearing loss from birth but my family couldn’t treat it until I was 7. Thank you for asking.

2 Likes

Ok. ‘May’ is always the better choice, especially when it’s only one study. Having said that, I’ve read a couple of reports on this study and I get the impression that they’re pretty confident of their conclusions. Anyway, if they’re right it’s good news because a) we can take steps to protect ourselves from nihl and b) future treatments for hair cell loss are a real possiblility. I’d like to believe in the good news.

I think it’s a strong enough ‘may’ to support the advice to the op to protect his ears. From the page you linked to:

Researchers say new findings may impact treatments in development, and reinforce need for people to protect their ears from noise-induced hearing damage that may contribute to hearing loss in aging.

I tracked down the first report I read on this. They take a more confident stance:

In a new study of human ear tissues, hearing scientists have demonstrated that age-related hearing loss, also called presbycusis, is mainly caused by damage to hair cells, the sensory cells in the inner ear that transform sound-induced vibrations into the electrical signals that are relayed to the brain by the auditory nerve. Their research challenges the prevailing view of the last 60 years that age-related hearing loss is mainly driven by damage to the stria vascularis, the cellular “battery” that powers the hair cell’s mechanical-to-electrical signal conversion.

Definitely check yearly!

I haven’t and it sneaked up on me going a bit worse without me noticing it really.

Also, you might want to read my experiences, since you’re the currently second or third active on forum with reverse slope loss type. Eg, it’s rare and definitely hard to fit.

Find someone who follows best practices, since those who don’t rely on guessing game ‘how do you hear me now’, which might work for more common loss better, but it’s insanely draining experience if you have complicated type, and you have (and my experience was that even with invested tons of time, poor practices didn’t yield decent results, whereas best practices yielded so good results that I couldn’t believe my ears that I can hear again that clearly - fa from perfect, but definitely usable)

https://drcliffaud.com/ > resources > best practices
and check his videos

Obviously it will get worse as you get older. How much worse is impossible to say without knowing what caused your current loss

Smoking also makes you more prone to noise-induced damage.

(Just throwing that out there for whomever might need an extra reason to try to quit. :wink:)

2 Likes

Thanks, I have watched the vast majority of the videos in the last few weeks. I’ve also read a lot of your posts.

Any thoughts on itchy ears improving over time? I’m still using ComfortEars every one to two days and if I miss the third day my ears are very itchy.

Also are there ways to improve BT quality for people listening to me? I always hear just fine through BT on my phone.

No clue about itchy ears, I just ‘scratch’ mine once it twice a day, as needed.

About bt for the other side, ensure that you’re in a quiet place, so fans blowing your way, open windows to the street can kick off the noise cancelling, and the result is your more metallic voice and less clear (that’s what my other sides told).

However they didn’t have same complaints when I was outside so I guess noise cancelling was better in distinguishing my voice from noise then.

But outside was the problem if the buildings were to far away from me or me moving too fast.

Also, I’d seems like more stabile connection also results in better comprehension. For that, depending on the HAs you have, maybe BT is by default on fixed bandwidth and could be changed to adaptive (marvels have that in their app, don’t know about the others).

And also, program for bt calls can be adjusted, I’m not sure which parts will affect what you hear and which what the other side hears but I’d expect that if you reduce noise control or should affect both sides. Didn’t try that yet (since I’m DIYer I can do myself, otherwise you fitter had to do it for you)

1 Like

Just a heads up that many audiologists are not allowed to provide free testing. Since many audiologists accept insurance especially Medicare, we are not allowed to provide free services and would find ourselves violating insurance terms. Usually if a free hearing exam is offered, you are seeing a hearing aid dispenser. It is common to pay for an annual hearing exam or bill insurance and this should be a small expense annually.

1 Like

Might be worth pointing out that internationally things are different. Other countries use this medium too. Tests are free here.

2 Likes

Hearing test are free here in Australia as well. This is a world wide forum.

1 Like