Hearing impairment and fast speech

any one have idea that why hearing impaired people cant hear fast speedy speech

i tried studio recorded lectures
played at different speed 1.0(understandable) 1.2(with written speech reading) 1.4 1.6(remaining 2 not understandable at all

any one have experiance or only i have this note i am yong 27years. comment pls

note still due to hearing loss i am not able to understand all words

0 Likes

A lot of understanding speech is the brain making sense of what it heard. If there’s less time to sort things out. I often hear something, not understand it, think for a few seconds and figure out what was said. If I don’t have the few seconds to sort things out, I don’t understand what was said.

1 Like

but my cousin who has normal hearing can easily understood up to speed 1.4x without seeing or reading anything. hence i am comparing that all impaired people have problem or this is another disease? note i am having SNHL

0 Likes

When your brain does not receive the whole of the signal clearly it has to work harder and extrapolate from what it does hear. This slows down the processing of speech.

3 Likes

Hah … I challenge anyone to actually understand the extremely fast disclaimers at the end of some TV or radio commercials! :smiley:

2 Likes

I can usually understand fast speech, but I have to concentrate extremely hard. On the other hand if someone just comes up to me and starts talking unexpectedly, I usually miss the beginning of what they said.

2 Likes

did you tried watching recorded stuff like seminar lectures? that provide tweak tools 1.2 1.4 and 1.6x speed booster?

0 Likes

hats off to yor success… i can do only 1.0x with only single work e.g. cant do hearing and making notes of it both at same time… its bit difficult all time.

0 Likes

I was hearing impaired during high school, l had a cassette recorder that had a variable speed control option. I tried to slow down the spoken speech with little distortion and still could not pick up the words.

0 Likes

Interesting discussion. I thought it was just that younger people talked faster these days. Maybe its that my brain thinks slower…LOL But I have the problem that even with the HA turned up, the first word that my wife speaks is lost. That first word is often the clue I need to know what the rest of it is about. And, I may just be saying “Huh!” too early without the 2 second pause for my brain to catch up. I will try that next time.

0 Likes

I tell people that understanding speech is like what understanding a foreign language might be to them. It’s like I have to translate about 1/3 of what I didn’t catch into something that makes sense. And during that delay, I lose the next bit of what was said. Close friends and family know, of course, but to the uninitiated,
I don’t seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer :wink:

2 Likes

I got you. Yes my problem exactly.

0 Likes

One of my little theories is that as your hearing worsens you go from processing whole phrases at a time to one word at a time. Even when we get hearing aids and get some of our hearing back, we still stay in that processing mode. That obviously doesn’t help when listening to fast talkers. Just my theory. Any studies or models to back it up or disprove it?

0 Likes

You lose pieces of the information with hearing loss, and your brain works to fill those gaps in. So your cognitive load is already higher when listening than it is for a normal-hearing listener.

But on top of that, you lose some temporal resolution with hearing loss, lose some ability to differentiate very small, fast sounds. So this is a very common outcome–difficulty with fast speech. But it does not correlate directly with the audiogram and so experiences will differ between people with similar amounts of loss.

0 Likes

People should not think of this as cognitive impairment because the brain is working harder than it does in people with normal hearing. If word recognition is good despite hearing loss then it is because of the power of the brain to predict and extrapolate to fill in the blanks. During everyday listening visual cues such as lip-reading are adding to the processing task. The brain is trying to compensate. It depends of course on how much of the signal is being lost also.

0 Likes

Agreed. Though I suppose it can just be a little bit semantic and can depend on how much emotional weight you put on the term impairment. I prefer thinking in terms of cognitive “load”. By the end of last Friday, I had had such a busy, demanding week that I was starting to have trouble finding words while talking. Lots of decision fatigue. My tip-of-the-tongue phenomena was very high. My ability to understand what someone was casually saying to me was much lower than usual because I had so many other tasks in my head that I was already devoting attention to. That has nothing to do with my base level of cognitive ability, it’s just that my brain was working harder.

Hearing loss increases your cognitive load relative to a normal listener, particularly in challenging listening situations. But there are all sorts of variables for each individual that impact their cognitive load.

0 Likes

Yes - For hearing loss it is the input process that suffers requiring the greater cognitive load. The brain has not necessarily lost the ability to process language. It is just working harder with the available information and integrating new information. How much the brain can do will depend on how much it is trained to do and how much spare capacity there is at the time. I am an optimist and do tend to believe we all have extra capacity we are not using at times.

0 Likes

I have several friends who speak faster than I can figure out what they have said.

0 Likes

The biggest challenge I have is a bunch of teenagers debating. All trying to fit as much in 8 minutes as possible! One girl with an accent and very fast speech is a particular challenge. Combined with a high pitched voice, that is a combination designed to challenge anyone with hearing loss. :joy:

0 Likes

Good to hear I’m not alone! Same issues here.

My wife’s a fast talker and I usually miss that first word or 2 and my brains trying to figure out what it was while she continues at her fast pace. I end up looking like I have more than just a hearing disability! It’s very frustrating!!! I stop to ask her what she said to which she starts telling me the part I did hear several words in and I’ll say no, what did you say, to which she’ll repeat what she just told me. That will happen a few times until I say no the beginning, at which point she’s so frustrated she’s forgotten what it was she started with!

I guess as I type this out it has allowed me to realize I need to say just wait, start at the beginning again, as that would probably make more sense on her end and avoid the aggravation. Live and learn!

3 Likes