Hearing help in rehab hospital

I’m reaching out to see if anyone might have some insight for me. My elderly mother broke her hip and is now in the rehab facility. She has profound hearing loss and due to this they are saying she can’t hear/understand enough of what they are saying to help her.

Given the COVID lockdown, we can’t come in to help as we did before this for doctors’ appts.

Someone suggested a Bose system to take into the facility, but looking online I don’t understand what exactly can help her hear them.

Any guidance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It feels like an impossible situation. TIA

I am sorry but I have no answer for you. I just prayed for your mom and for you. This COVID-19 lockdown is horrendous for the seniors and those in hospitals and nursing homes. I prayed that God would help you find a way to help your dear mother.

Anita

1 Like

Sounds truly horrible for you. Can your mother read? If so, I’m thinking maybe a tablet or phone running Live Transcribe or equivalent? It wouldn’t be a perfect transcription, but may be good enough to make the difference?

Best wishes.

1 Like

Dear Newbie,
I have reached out to some clinicians I know to ask how to address this situation. That someone in the community I belong to, of HOH / deaf / Deaf people, should be treated as you describe is sickening to me–and far, far too common an occurrence. How can one treat a hip, ignore hearing and feel they are providing adequate medical support? My personal email if you want to take this offline is cohen@post.harvard.edu and I’ll be in touch once I get some answers.

I’ve heard of something like this being helpful: High Power AXON Model Body Worn Analog Pocket Hearing Aid Best Sound Amplifier V-99 Pocket Hearing aids for deaf | Wish

I’m working under the assumption that hearing aids are not feasible. They are usually the best solution, but an amplifier like what I linked to can often be helpful and are much less expensive.

Hi Newbie,
Below is a reply from an audiologist I trust. Good luck and let me know if there is more that I can do.

“Tough to know just what is best not knowing what the audiogram looks like but we often have people in these situations use something called a PocketTalker. Its an amplifier that has a volume control on the side. The hard of hearing patient wears a set of headphones that plug into the unit and the speaker talks into the unit. Can get good and loud and sound quality (in a relatively quiet environment) is quite good. Its not an all day permanent solution but can be perfect for communicating in times of need and needs no particular programming or setup.”

https://www.amazon.com/Williams-Sound-PockeTalker-Amplifier-Microfiber/dp/B00Q72Z5PU/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=pocket+talker&qid=1598530263&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A2TORNECBMNNW4&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFSQ1hMNlZIN1kzNFUmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA1MDU5NDcyUUczT1ZTTVgxQ1FKJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4MTc5NTVQM084MEVDVjZHQ1Qmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

4 Likes

Over the short term until there’s a hearing solution in place like the item mentioned below, perhaps the staff can use a white board to write messages to her. Just a thought.

I am so overwhelmed by the responses. Thank you.

The problem with the HAs is that the staff has lost one and broken the other. She has two more now, but not as good as the especially fitted HAs she normally wears.

The matter is made worse by severe macular degeneration. It is just awful to watch this.

We have ordered the Bose sound system that she can put in her ears and wear on her collar bones. In the meantime, they are again engaging in PT.

I will look into the devices listed above in case they can help as well.

I am truly so appreciative of all your responses.

1 Like