Hearing aids that read your brain will know who you want to hear [MIT]

0 Likes

See also the following:

0 Likes

Nope. I’d pass on any surgically-implanted device that supposedly zeros in on voices I want to hear. Too much out of one’s control going this route.

Imagine. Even with my wonderful Phonak Marvels, if I have an issue or defective unit (as in my LEFT aid which is already being replaced after a month’s use), it’s pretty easy and straightforward.

The jaded realist in me can just envision a surgically-implanted device searching its algorithms for several seconds, blocking out sounds and leaving me standing with mouth open like a dufuss before I can even respond to a question that normal hearing aids have enough difficulty grasping. It’s like looking for trouble.

I’d rather move to a quieter location, put my aids into the “noisy environment” setting or just say, “WHAT?!” before considering surgery for a largely untested device.

Better use of research money: continue to develop algorithms for existing aids that help zero in on speech frequencies and boost them. Is that rocket science?

0 Likes

Personally I find that my brain mostly tells me who I don’t want to hear anymore; quite persistently. Still, the selection of persons you want to hear always exclude others. So this doesn’t seem to be a very useful function for a hearing aid.

0 Likes