Hearing aids that "just work"

Most of us just want our technology to “work.” By that, we usually mean we want it to work like WE think it should work. I suspect that largely has more to do with us than it does the technology. For my 93 year old Mom, her Phonak Marvel 30 rechargeables largely accomplish this. She takes them out of the charger and puts them in her ears and she can hear better. Sometimes they don’t work and she calls me to tell me they’re “broken” and I change the wax filters and all is well again.

This is not the case for many forum members. I believe some hearing aids work (and sound) more like most people think they should work. It is my suspicion that for first time hearing aid users, Oticon accomplishes this best, and if one wants to throw a smartphone into the mix, an Oticon with an iPhone is likely one’s best bet.

If on the other hand likes figuring things out, or one has few expectations other than hearing better, there are lots of hearing aids that can improve one’s hearing.

I’d be curious to hear comments from users about their experiences with hearing aids that “just worked.”

3 Likes

I believe it all depends on hearing loss. I do wear Oticon aids and have for over 11 years. I love the sound, and I love the fact that for the most part I put time on in the morning and forget about them. They are not perfect and with my severe hearing loss that is to be expected.
What I want is to understand what people are saying to me, and I also want to hear all around me. I walk and hike the forest around here and can not afford dead spots, I have to hear all around. The newer OPN, OPNS do a reasonable job of it but not perfect for me due to my hearing loss. The connectivity to my iPhone is good but not great. I also don’t want to have to stop and think about what program to be in for different environments so I depend on the default program to do the job, and again it does a reasonable job. The perfect aid would be for me to not ever have to take the off, and to never have to charge them or change programs. I know it isn’t possible at least not now and more than likely not in my life time.

In 1997 I was fitted with an analog Starkey wired BICROS rig, both sides ITE (think that’s right - not all the way in the canal, in the ear and visible, not behind the ear).

It was by far the very best aid I’ve ever had. Enough gain to hear people, “natural” sound, could hear what people on my deaf side were saying. could use the landline telephone with my deaf ear (mic only so no feedback).

I put it on in the morning and took it off at night. The only irritation was the wire behind my head sometimes hung up on my neck when my hair was cut too short. It was great.

So yes, I’ve had a hearing aid that “just worked” and left me with nothing about which to complain. They’re out there, but they’ve learned to hide…

I agree with Chuck, it depends on the hearing loss. I didn’t find a hearing aid that just works, tried three including Oticon. I have accepted the fact that it’s me not the aids.

3 Likes

Looking back, my Oticon Deltas and my first pair of Unitron Moxis (c. 2011??) each gave me great service: put them in upon arising, take them out before bed.

Perhaps I say today that they “just plain worked”, but the possibility exists that way back them, I was too ill-informed to assess good results from bad.

In retrospect, I did notice a difference going from Oticon’s OpenSound design concept to Unitron’s … I missed hearing things to the back and sides of me for a long time.

Maybe that’s why, when I took delivery of my More3s, I felt like donning my cowboy getup, bolo tie and all, firing up a LuckyStrike, and saying: "Aaah! Feels like coming home!

So far, my pore, crippled up More3s are in that class of devices that “just work”.