Hearing aids sound unnatural, suggestions for what needs adjustments?

I’ve been trying out new hearing aids and experiencing issues with them, namely that certain background noises sound unnatural, and certain low frequency sounds seem to have too much “bass” to them. If I’m tapping on my keyboard for example, it sounds more like I’m tapping on tambourine drums, or similar to the sound you get when you’re tapping on a microphone (resulting in a residual boom). It’s almost like a combination of vibration and sound (again similar to bass) that seems to overwhelm my brain and give me headaches after a while. Sounds of say, the air conditioner, or the dryer in the background also seem louder than they should be. I only tend to notice this for low frequency sounds, while higher frequencies sound more natural. I’m currently using ESTAT programming on Starkey 3 Series i110 Power Plus 13 hearing aids. From what I’ve been told by the audie, my programming is supposed to be pretty linear, but it doesn’t seem that way based on the way it processes certain low key sounds.

Can anyone advise as to what’s causing me to hear this way and how I can get it properly adjusted?

This is the kind of stuff that makes me wish we all had some way of controlling the equalizer settings via a personal laptop and blue tooth (someday perhaps). If your clothes dryer had a label on it that said “frequency xxmhz”, then you could simply tell your audi to turn down the xxmhz frequency and life would be good. But, that ain’t the way it is. For now, it’s a guessing game because I’m betting there ain’t no clothes dryer at your audi’s office!

Very frustrating to go through the trail and error of frequency adjustments through your audi, but that’s currently the only way available to most users. The best you can do is to make a list of the sounds that you are having the most issues with, and hope he/she is a good guesser at frequency levels for those sounds.

The computer software that takes your hearing test readings and converts them to a hearing aid program only provides a starting point. From that point, your audiologist has a screen full of equalizer knobs that he can adjust to make what you hear more natural. The only problem is, he can’t hear what you hear, so you tell him what you need, and he plays with the knobs and sends you back to the environment that you came from, and if that don’t work, you go back and start over. and over, and over…

Wouldn’t it be nice to sit on a park bench with your ipad and dial in the birds and dial out the air conditioner running behind you. :slight_smile: WE CAN DREAM!!! :slight_smile:

It does make it tempting to find some dealer hawking wares from the back of his truck so I can get a pirated copy of Inspire OS and adjust the hearing aids myself. Tee hee.

With the i110, ask your audiologist to run SoundPoint. You take the mouse and move it around the screen while minor adjustments are made to the response of the hearing aids (there’s a recording of speech in background noise to listen to while you’re doing that, so you have something to compare). Stop when you find the point that sounds best to you.

Thanks, I asked my audie about that before and he said SoundPoint’s main value is more psychological than technical, since the range in which I can can adjust the aids is only a few decibels. Might continue to push for it though if I continue to have issues. I’m just trying to figure for now what common adjustments would cause the issues I’m experiencing now. :slight_smile:

Next time you go in for an adjustment tell your audi to tap on the keyboard and see if it sounds better and don’t leave until it does. Sound like the LF might need to be toned down a bit.

Thanks web, I assume LF stands for low frequency?

Yep, LF=low frequency