Hearing Aids should be a team approach

hearing-aids

A mobile service has a tough time working anywhere, least of all in West Texas.

No more speed, I’m almost there
Gotta keep cool now, gotta take care
Last car to pass, here I go
And the line of cars drove down real slow
And the radio played that forgotten song
Brenda Lee’s comin’ on strong
Radar Love ♪♫•¨•.¸¸♥

I have a West Texas story;
Many years ago I was driving across Texas heading to Southern Louisiana. This was prior to Interstate hiways so I found myself in the wee hours of the morning stopped at a red light in a small Texas city.

This was also before the intersections had traffic sensors so I was waiting for a long time for the red-light to change with no other cars in sight. I didn’t dare run the red-light because I know that the Texas PoPo loves to give tickets to out of state drivers. While waiting I glanced down at the crosswalk in front of me and there was a cockroach using the crosswalk to get to the other side of the street. I kid you not, in the crosswalk!

Same trip, I stopped to get gas. The restrooms had a bright outdoor light and I think the light attracted hundreds (if not thousands) of crickets. You could hear them crunch, crunch, crunch under your feet when you walked.

Texas and Louisiana are famous for their bugs. Good luck with your business.

The post/comment feature on your blog is broken.

About the team effort sentiment. While I do personally return for all the visits necessary. Some insurance companies are now pushing a model where the hearing aids are “less expensive” than another nearby dealer, but the patient is actually billed (and must pay out of pocket) for every single followup fitting or service visit: quite the disincentive to return.

How are you working to combat this issue?

She doesn’t. She has a brick and mortar practice.

Well, duh :roll_eyes: …this thread practically started with photos and a building discussion.

The whole “insurance discount” option is playing out to be mostly a scam like offering anyways, as the consumer ends up paying more by the time its all said and done. While at the same time patients are lead to believe they’re getting a discount, while being effectively discouraged from followup visits.

In fact, my local brick & mortar HA dealer has difficulty combating the issue I broached, as its proving to be a consumer education issue. They’ve been open to feedback regarding approach and education strategies. Hence why I brought up the topic.

A trip to Texas is well worth the trip! :wink:

Jeff

As we will be in NYC for a few days only this month Texas is out of the question. The cost of changing plane tickets is far to great for the maybe benefit gained.

OK, having worked in marketing most of my professional career, I can’t HELP but to look at any kind of promotional pitch to assess its fit with a suitable audience. And of course, having worn HAs for over 3 decades, I’ve literally seen 'em all in the audiology world.

I guess my comment here for COMPASSHEARING would be that the “team” approach is fine, given some caveats:

• some patients will be older/infirm and not up to multiple follow-on visits
  • some clinics charge for each and every visit, so if your follow-on app’ts are free, that’s a huge plus!
  • many if not most patients are simply not able to articulate what they like and don’t like about their new HAs; in fact, many actually fight the reality of having to wear them!

Even so, the fact that you encourage a rapport and ongoing relationship with your patients is a very GOOD thing. Too often, the audiologist (especially in larger, inner-city clinics) will actually say they intend to get your aids A-OK in one visit so they never have to see you again, no kidding!

I wish my aud-guy would visit this site and post here. I definitely think WE are the Gold Standard target audience for any manufacturer or dispenser of hearing aids. Our opinions should be sought out, and I’m always happy to provide my own feedback on the topic of anything related to hearing aids.

Include family members in the team.

No Costco for miles I guess:smiley:

A few comments for you.

1. I think this multiple-step approach will work for more people if you do include several follow-up sesssions in the initial price.

2. I think the closer you can make the fitting/re-setting site like the actual places the patient will be relying on the HAs, the better.

3. I believe the “team” needs to include more than the patient and the audi. As stated before, family members might be included, as should all significant others in the patient’s hearing universe - e.g., co-workers, best friends, etc. Depending upon need, these people may or may not have to be present in re-set sessions. They might be included by responding to surveys seeking their experiences (and possible frustrations) with the patient. They are in a great position to provide feedback to the patient and audi about how they perceive the HAs to be working.

When I first saw the “teamwork” title,I expected the team to be larger than was indicated. To me, there is no reason why the team cannot include all the relevant players.

Personally, I think you have hit on a great concept that can be expanded!

^^^ Yes, I also think that significant others (plural) should be included in the fitting at the very least! Also: don’t forget GEAR as part of the team. Nowadays, folks buy streaming necklaces and TV streamers to hook up to cell phones, laptops or TVs. Incredibly, my aud-guy does NOT have a TV in his office to actually show his patients how to hook up these devices and ensure that they work before the patient goes home $150 poorer.

It’s the total solution end-to-end: before a patient leaves the office after the initial fitting, s/he should have proof-positive that they can dial out and hear on the cell phone, stream with a laptop or TV, know how to change a wax guard & dome, and insert batteries. Believe me, folks are shy about asking HOW to do these things. Then the device sits in a dresser drawer at home when they don’t work optimally.