Hearing aids seem to be not working as well - what to do

starkey

I am wearing a used pair of Halo i110 hearing aids I got a year ago from ebay and copied the programming from my old aids to this set using the software and wireless programmer. They have been working fine for six months but do not seem to be working as well now. I’ve changed the batteries (of course) and changed the wax guards. I’ve opened them up to see if any dust or dirt is clogging the microphone ports. I’m not seeing any issues. I ordered a set of new snapfit receivers (a cheap thing to try, $50 for 2 on ebay), but I would not think that would be the issue. I have checked the iphone app and both aids report being turned up to the default volume of “41”.

The right ear is the most noticeable. When I run my fingernail over the two microphone ports on that one, the rear microphone does not seem to make much if any loud scratching noise. It makes me wonder if the rear microphone is not working on the right aid.

Anyone have any ideas how to diagnose further or how to fix if that is the issue?

Thanks!

0 Likes

To clarify, if my hearing aids have an electronic or mechanical problem, is there a way to get them repaired out of warranty? I paid under $400 for the set on ebay, so I’d like to avoid a huge investment in the repair.

0 Likes

Starkey will still repair. I haven’t had many repairs but they were in the $150-300 range and they normally come with a year warranty. A professional will have to submit it. The pro may find it is something they can handle in the office. You don’t have much in them. You could do any kind of repair and still be way ahead.

1 Like

Change the mic covers.

Starkey aids are notorious for the mic covers clogging up, especially if you wear them when you are sweating.

0 Likes

Thanks Eric. My old halo’s had tiny holes for the mic covers. I would use an air compressor to clean them out (after removing the cover plastic from the aid). This newer set has slots, and behind the slots a thin black non-removable screen. I looked at the screen with a good magnifying glass and they did not appear to be clogged up at all. And if they were, I’m not sure how I would clean them.

0 Likes

You could send it off to these people. A number of people have use them and found them to be reallly good.

You can send it to www.DirectHearingAidServices.com http://DirectHearingAidServices.com in Garden Grove, CA, 1-888-580-4327.

1 Like

Hold it up to the light and look through it backlit.

That screen is what gets plugged or dirty. When you sweat, the sweat carries with is all the skin cells off your head, the oil off your scalp, pollen, dust, dirt, and any type of hair product you use. The sweat evaporates, but leaves all the other stuff behind.

If you pull the speaker off, and remove the mic cover and look at it towards the light, the light should be nice and bright through it. If it is just barely getting through, the cover needs to be replaced.

0 Likes

I did this and it looked clear, but it is a very fine black mesh fabric type thing and it is very hard to see clearly.

Is it possible to buy the replacement mesh’s? I’d try replacing them anyway.

0 Likes

The whole cover needs to be replaced. Anywhere that sells Starkey, Audibel, or Nu-Ear hearing aids will have them.

0 Likes

Eric, thanks. It seems odd that every six months or whatever you’d have to purchase a whole new plastic back cover. And perhaps I can just remove the black screen? My old set of halo’s had little holes (instead of little slots) and no screen. Thoughts?

0 Likes

you can remove the screens, just make sure you don’t get them wet or sweat on them until you get the covers replaced.

A little hint, we aren’t charged for mic covers, so most places replace them free.

0 Likes

Excellent! And a really good hint. I’ll check with my Audi when I get back from snowbirding. Thanks for taking the time to help.

0 Likes