Hearing aids? Mild loss and tinnitus

Hi all, I’m new here so be gentle!

I’ve had high-pitch tinnitus for as long as I can remember, but in the last 1-2 years it has been getting increasingly loud. I ignore it as much as possible, but it is now louder than some background noise and seems to drown out things I want to hear at times.

I recently had my hearing tested and was told it’s “normal”, though I’m unsure if this means normal for a woman in her 40’s! Here’s the result:
250 500 750 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
L 25 25 30 30 35 40 30 25 20 35
R 40 35 30 35 35 40 30 25 30 40

My question is whether it’s worth looking into the possibility of HA’s with this level of hearing loss and the tinnitus?

Thanks so much for any advice!

I’m no audiologist but your audiogram does not look “normal” to me. I see mild hearing loss.

My question is whether it’s worth looking into the possibility of HA’s with this level of hearing loss and the tinnitus?

I don’t know if it is worth it for the tinnitus aspect. I do have tinnitus in both ears but it does not bother me. For the hearing loss aspect, I’d say if your life is impacted by it, then it is worth trying out hearing aids. I have mild hearing loss in my left ear, which makes me sensitive to noise. I need to have the TV volume higher than my wife does. And I noisy environments like restaurants, I have to ask people to repeat themselves. This was enough for me to decide to try hearing aids. I cannot yet report on how much of a difference it made. My first fitting is tomorrow.

Lemur is correct, that’s not normal. You tinnitus isn’t drowning out things you want to hear, your hearing loss is. The tinnitus is just also there.

Hearing aids often help with tinnitus.

Thanks very much to you both for replying. What you say has confirmed what I felt myself, that this needs looking into further. I got the test done at one of those high street specs and hearing shops, and the tester became very dismissive as soon as I mentioned the tinnitus (before the beeps were done). I only know my audiogram because I took a photo of the output on the screen when she left the room. My sense at the time was that she thought I missed the quiet sounds because the tinnitus covered them up, but I see now that this is not likely. I will try to find an alternative provider!

Yes, you should. I’ve been satisfied with Costco so far and I do recommend them. I’ve been able to compare them to two different ENT offices, and find that their hearing test is comparable from what I got from the ENTs. Sometimes people are afraid that Costco will just want to push hearing aids on them whether needed or not but that’s not been my experience. After my first hearing test at Costco, they found a gap between air and bone conductivity and said I’d have to see an ENT to get cleared for hearing aids, because an air bone gap may indicate a fixable condition. The ENT did a hearing test and ordered a CT scan and found nothing to fix. So I was cleared. I went back to Costco to do the usual “walk around the store with these hearing aids and see how it feels” test. I gave ample opportunity to the lady who was helping me to upsell me but she did not.

Regarding how you got your audiogram results, here’s my take…

As a matter of what I consider to be proper ethical conduct, I believe that the results of a hearing test is medical record about you, and as such, you are entitled to a copy, and you are entitled to get it without fuss. I’m not referring to any formal code of ethics here. I’m just saying this is how an ethical provider should conduct themselves, in my view.

As a matter of law, I’m sure the law entitles you to your audiogram. It falls under HIPPA. The law does allow for some fuss. The provider could charge you for the cost of producing the record, in theory. I’ve never encountered anyone who made a fuss. If I encountered a provider who refused to produce the record, I’d inform them that they’ll be at the receiving end of a complaint with the appropriate government agency and a negative review. It’s something I’ve done before. In one case, I received a very apologetic call after a bad review and the person who called me got the thing straightened out.

Hi Jane

What you need to think about is having a conversation with an audiologist about the situations where you find it difficult to hear and more importantly understand conversations.

I’m not an audiologist, just someone who’s been severely deaf for a number of years, but I would’ve thought that the best way to work out if hearing aids will help is to try them for a month or so in those different situations.

Good luck

Ian