Hearing aids fouled by ear wax

DIY cleaning worked fine for me!

1 Like

Or you can order online - not sure if the Costco site offers them, but I have seen wax guards and domes on Amazon - just need to get the correct type for your Hearing Aid model.

Just FWIW: the receiver contains a copper coil which isn’t hermetically sealed. If you find something that liquidises the wax and let it dry on the receiver filter you risk subsequent condensate/perspiration/earwax mixing with it and forming something that is quite aggressive to the components.

Given how cheap some varieties of wax guards are, especially the Mk1 Cerustops, the economics of cleaning them over outright changes makes no sense.

1 Like

The “Elephant Ear” is the product that my doctor uses for ear cleaning: Elephant Ear Washer | Dr. Easy Medical Products | Doctor Easy. So, I purchased one of my own a few years ago. I just put a few ounces of Docusate Sodium Liquid (available at Walmart) in the bottle first, fill the bottle with warm water, and it is ready to use. It works great!

1 Like

FWIW, I use Debrox weekly. It does a good job of removing ear wax - at least on me. I change my wax guards every 4 - 8 weeks. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Not had to change my wax guards in 5 weeks buy I have found a wax problem with one ear. The dome has two small holes either side rather than the end. These holes get a visible wax build up and if left would obviously get into the filter. First time I realised these holes were blocked was after the sound in that ear became muffled.
After I cleared the wax in the dome (I wont tell you how) I check daily. If I see the start of wax build up I clear it by pushing a fine interdent tooth brush through, clean the wax off the bristles, and every thing is fine. It saves the hassle pulling off the dome, extracting the filter, replacing, and then refitting the dome.