Hearing aids and radiation

I have read a few posts on this forum where people have expressed concerns about wireless hearing aids and radiation exposure. If I am understanding correctly,some hearing aids communicate information back and forth with each other almost constantly. To my understanding this causes a signal to be passed from one HA , through the head and brain, to the other HA. My question is,since the the Resound Futures (Aleras) have to have their programs changed separately,does this mean they don’t communicate back and forth and don’t have a signal passing through the brain? If so, wouldn’t this be a safer option ? Please let me know your thoughts and opinions on this on this.

My opinion…you have radio waves passing thru your brain all the time whether you wear wireless hearing aids or not. If you use a cell phone, the ‘radiation’ from it is probably hundreds of time stronger than wireless hearing aids. I wouldn’t worry about it.

X2:rolleyes:

Honestly, I don’t think this is an issue.

I’ve been working with the Starkey Wi hearing aids, that wirelessly talk to each other a lot. Their rated range is about 10 feet. Compare that to a cellphone that is talking to a tower a mile away. WiFi is everywhere these days, hotels, airports, restaurants, your home (even if you don’t have WiFi). That can pass through walls, floors, ceilings, and you!

We are constantly exposed to radio waves all the time, and more and more gadgets are becoming wireless every day.

You are probably infinitely more likely to die from the crap we put in our food rather than radio waves from a hearing aid.

It’s a decision that each person needs to make for themselves. Some of the most important factors that affect the emissions include the output power, the frequency band used, how the antenna is designed (to send the radio waves away, or through the body), and distance from the transmitter.

Every day (and all day long) I wear a set of aids that receive and transmit (albiet not to each other), and, personally even I don’t think it makes sense to say ‘since there is radiation from everything everywhere it doesn’t make a difference’. It often gets overlooked because (1) it’s, more often than not, misunderstood, and (2) one can’t directly see it. For an extreme example (no I’m NOT saying it’s comparable to a hearing aid) look at what’s currently happening in Japan, can’t see it, but is it dangerous?

ZCT–Question for you–how do you like your Starkey WIs? Plan on looking at them on Friday. Thanks
Thom

I am a hearing professional, not a patient. So I don’t actually wear Wis. But I will say this, I have been demonstrating hearing aids since 1994, and in all that time I have never seen patients as motivated and impressed, even when they got to listen to the non-Wi version of the same technology.

I’ve even seen patient who wore really good top of the line aids from European companies and then they got to try the non-Wi version of the technology and then finally the Wi. They noticed a significant improvement each time.

At the end of the day if your hearing professional knows what they are doing, you should be blown away. I firmly believe these are among the best hearing instruments on the market today.

Trust me, even without your slippery slope argument, I get what you are saying. I’m just saying we are being bombarded with an insane amount of radio waves all the time, from cell phones, to wifi, to cordless phones, to bluetooth. It’s almost endless. Is one more thing broadcasting weakly at a frequency approved by the FCC going to really tip the balance and cause health problems, I doubt it.

I am a hearing professional,

Google link spammer.

Is one more thing broadcasting weakly at a frequency approved by the FCC going to really tip the balance and cause health problems, I doubt it.

Agreed.

A GSM mobile in a rural setting i.e. far away from a tower, emits TWO WATTS … now THAT is something to worry about.

actually…probably not. There is NO real credible, undeniable link between cell phone radiation and brain cancer.

I agree with the others here…the amount of energy we are talking about here is miniscule. You probably get more exposure from flying in an airplane for a couple of hours than you would from using hearing aids for over a decade.

And to the Japan comment…that’s a TOTALLY different type of radiation…and at thousands to millions of times the levels you get from a normal X-ray (which is a similar type of radiation).

Honestly, I wouldn’t even consider the energy from HA communication. Your radio or microwave probably exposes you to more!

I don’t think you’re understanding what I’m saying. As mentioned in the other thread, distance from the transmitter source is a HUGE factor (if not familiar, look up the inverse square law). There is a night and day difference between being bombarded with radio waves (which I agree is happening) and using a device with a transmitter that is against your head and designed to radiate its energy into, and through, the brain (by their own admission).

Furthermore, while everyone can have an opinion and I respect yours, please understand that you have billed yourself as an expert. Since you are insisting that none of this matters, I’m curious about your experience in the RF industry. Other than benefiting from the sales of these aids, do you have any professional RF experience that lends creditability to what you are saying in this regard?

Also, I’m not a fanatic when it comes to wireless emissions, please remember that I’m a guy who DOES wear hearing aids with transmitters against his head everyday! However, I think it’s important that people be presented with the issues and make the decision for themselves. IMHO, it doesn’t help anyone to have hearing professionals who don’t have much, if any, professional experience in the (unrelated) RF industry blatantly dismissing all of this as though it doesn’t matter at all.

So let me get this straight, Japan is “a TOTALLY different type of radiation”, but flying in an airplane is not a totally different type (according to your statements)?

The Japan comment (as indicated in the original post) was not meant to compare RF emissions of certain hearing aids to nuclear radiation. It was meant to point out that it’s often overlooked, and even dismissed, because it can’t been seen (or detected by our senses).

What radio? As in a FM receiver? If so I agree. As for the microwave, it’s important to understand that there is a drastic difference between devices that are designed to contain and control emissions and those that direct it into, and through, our brains! Also critical is the distance at which we are from the source. This is exactly why, since they were first sold, there have been warnings about NOT standing right in front of your microwave and watching food cook! Admittedly, this is mainly a safeguard in case your microwave has a leaky seal, but, again, since a leak can’t be detected by our senses so it’s best to just stand back!

All sorts of radiation. If properly designed most hearing aids should not be affected by common radio cell phone. However, if you are in a marginal cell area, the cell phone transmitted power goes to the maximum about 1 watt for GSM and could cause interference. New cell phones near microwave frequencies with high powers and may be involved in cancer. If you can use a bluetooth head set or speaker phone to keep the phone away from your head is best.[2] Regarding airport scanner radiation being x-rays are very penetrating it could alter solid-state memory and program settings common to modern hearing aids. [1]
Otologics makes an implantable hearing aid that lets you swim and do other activities it uses a radio link for charging and configuration. Very impressive I did some test work for the product a few years ago.
Hope this helps. Jeff Buske BSEE

[1] rockyflatsgear (.) com/How-penetrating-are-airport-back-scatter-x-rays.html

[2] rockyflatsgear (.) com/Cell-phone-radiation-interferes-with-cellular-division-increases-cancer-risk.html

Probably a theme we will not get clear answers to until many enough years have passed to get the statistics and clear up the hindsight.
As others have stated we are “bombarded” by all types of radiation every day. Even from household electric equipment.
As also stated, distance from the emitting source reduces the dangers.
From what I have read up on, the field strength of the HA communication is extremely low. Compared to mobile phone absorption rate measurements (SAR) for HAs rate about a thousand times lower then a regular mobile phone. (Phonak wireless info(CORE): Typical SAR values of phones ~0,3-2. HAs ~0,001)

Where can I find out the frequency bands used by hearing aids? Do the manufacturers all use different ones? And how the antennas are designed? I haven’t found any information of this on the web so far!

Does anybody know what kind of frequency is used by hearing aids that do “binaural synchronisation”?

And is the radiation of hearing aids pulsed like the radiation of bluetooth?

Please help me: I need a hearing aid and I don’t want too much radiation on my head/brain.

I think I don’t want “binaural synchronisation” because the hearing aids are talking to each other all the time with that. What else features of hearing aids in general do send back and forth information between the hearing aids?

Which features of those should I avoid/get turned off?

My most concern is the pulsed radiation. I read this kind of radiation is dangerous to the body.

Listen I have worked as a Electronics Tech most of my life. I am still here at age 67 and I do not have cancer nor do I have any issues. I have worked around communication, and radar equipment as well as computers and WIFI. And as a Navy Tech even equipment and tech that I can not talk about. I am not say there is nothing worry about I am just say that your hearing aids is the least of your worries. I have been wearing aids that communicate to each other as well as communicate to other devices including cell phones for around 10 years.

— Updated —

Listen I have worked as a Electronics Tech most of my life. I am still here at age 67 and I do not have cancer nor do I have any issues. I have worked around communication, and radar equipment as well as computers and WIFI. And as a Navy Tech even equipment and tech that I can not talk about. I am not say there is nothing worry about I am just say that your hearing aids is the least of your worries. I have been wearing aids that communicate to each other as well as communicate to other devices including cell phones for around 10 years.

if you use a cell phone or wifi don’'t worry about the HAs.

— Updated —

if you use a cell phone or wifi don’'t worry about the HAs.

As Doc Jake said the hearing aids are the least of your worries.

— Updated —

As Doc Jake said the hearing aids are the least of your worries.

Most wireless hearing aids use near-field magnetic induction (NFMI) and a ferrite rod antenna to communicate with each other. These work in the 3 to 15 MHz range. Other hearing aids use radio frequency (RF) and a custom-designed antenna; they operate in the 900 MHz and 2.4 GHz ISM bands.