Hearing aids and phone use question?

Don’t ask me the type of hearing-loss I have, Mayo Clinic doesn’t even know, every audiology test they seam to change their mind on what kind of loss I have. My hearing loss involves all parts of my ear and is degenerative. Its moderate to severe, worse at the high frequency end better at the low frequency.

are there any true wireless hearing aids out there? for moderate to severe hearing loss?

Any that require a hoop is not really wireless in that you still have to wear a wire on your body and is easily prone to damage under regular use. Hoops not ment for use in active setting where your moving a lot. like riding bike or running.

I don’t want any device putting out radiation on my body meaning the hoop sending signal to aids qualify. And as far as the aids themselves, its only receiving not sending.

I won’t even use cellphones too close to the output source for my liking.

this hearing aid needs to be able to connect to land line or TV via switch on the aid.

Reason I am asking here is, when I go to request to aids before the 5 year limit is up, I need to explain what it is I need, that will be best for me, so I am not missing out on vital life activities, like using the phone for important activities such and talking to doctors and emergencies.

netflix actually cancelled my subscriptions all because I couldn’t properly hear and understand the rep.

I AM NOT LOOKING FOR SALES PITCH
I do business through Mayo(they have 31 years of my records for hearing loss there, my loss is not normal, so I am staying with the group that has the most familiarity to my loss), I don’t want to go in totally ignorant about what is currently available. Mayo will special order if necessary, I am just tired of being left out of certain things others take for granted like using the phone (without it all being distorted or feed backing), understanding what is actually being said on tv without subtitles or hearing people and not asking them to repeat 3-4 times.

I need to be able to tell them exactly what I need by point to examples

OH and most important it needs to be ruggadized for sweaty conditions, need to last minimum 5 years without failing.

miss my hearing aids from the 80’s, no need for dry-aid or drying unit, lasted 5-6 years without failing, and actually got submerged in bathtub and taken in shower couple of times by accident. it was not moisture resistant yet it still survived.

preferably one not made in china in that they use substandard material for almost everything especially copper.

For phone use, every brand has their own bluetooth device that communicates to your cell phone, except Starkey (no bluetooth phone device). There has to be a separate device for bluetooth phone use because 1) hearing aids do not yet communicate using bluetooth (the “device” is bluetooth to your phone and then uses some type of radio signal to your hearing aids), and 2) there has to be a microphone somewhere and it has to be powered.

For tv transmitting the only one I know with no intermediate device required is Resound. They also have a remote microphone with no other device. But, an intermediate device is not really a bad thing.

I don’t think feedback is an issue with the major brands today.

What you had in the 80’s is irrelevant.

No one can promise you a hearing aid will not have a failure. They are fixable fairly cheaply $100-200. You can probably get a 3 year warranty.

Manufacturers use whatever they are contracted to use. Blame the company that hires them.

Bluetooth is a radio protocol using frequencies around 2.4 GHz. I don’t know the frequencies used from HA Bluetooth transceiver to the HAs.

ReSound Hearing Aids do have bidirectional communication between the hearing aids and the accessory. You can prove it by changing program on one of the aids without using the remote. Then check your remote and the digital display will show the program number. That can only happen if the hearing aid transmits that data to the remote.

I have read that the hearing aids also use a 2.4 Ghz radio frequency. But, it is a very low power signal. So low that if the remote or phone clip is more than a few feet away they can not pick up the signal. So, the radiation exposure is extremely miniscule.

I do not think the TV unit uses the bi-directional signal. Just too far away for it to be picked up. I think it just broadcasts the signal out and relies on the hearing aids to detect the signal and pick it up.

Doesn’t sound exactly what you are after, but then what you want has not been invented yet. How about the Phonak or Oticon ear level FM receivers? They work on radio waves, and let’s face it everywhere you go you are already bathed in radio waves from every local and national radio and TV station, truck CBs, police radios, airline radios and the like. There is an intermediate device the transmitter, but you don’t have to wear it, you put that on the “sending” device, i.e. you plug it into the TV or connect to the Bluetooth phone signal or plug it into the headset output of a home phone and then you can walk around. The tiny receivers, size of a sugar cube, plug directly into most hearing aids except in the ear versions and the really tiniest ones, so you have total freedom of movement, nothing to wear around your neck. Have a look at Phonak Smartlink and Oticon Amigo to see what I mean. I use it all the time, would never attempt to watch TV any other way now I’ve tried this. No more getting tied up in wire trying to take off a jumper.

Fm receiver are wired. I use to use them when I was a kid, trying to avoid all hoop set up, reminds me of being in 4th grade class, when the teacher forgot to turn of the mic and took it to the bathroom, while I was still in the class room. damb thing picks everything up in 3-4 foot radius. I was on the floor laughing and the class thought I went insane.

what of the earpieces used by telemarketers that is linked to the hardline phone?

I know the tech exists in that Mayo Clinic personnel use it. They use a hardline system with a small box attached between the receiver and the main phone dial box. That sends out the frequency that their ear piece pics up, up to 6-8 ft from the phone itself. and the same said ear piece has a mic, receiver, battery speaker, mold, and ah sorry what is the part that sends the signal back to the box at the phone? there is NO WIRES on the persons body NO HOOP, NO ANTENNAS etc. It is almost exactly the same size as a BTE hearing aid case. But then Mayo system each had their own frequency in that there were 3-4 people right next to one another using he same system but different phones.

We have the tech, problem is companies refuse to work together.

I don’t know how oticon can get away calling their blue tooth hearing aids wireless when it is nothing more than a glorified FM system.

because of the hoop it is technically NOT wireless. This is false advertising.

true wireless would be a box that sends a signal out that is attached between the receiver and phone box and the hearing aid would pick it up with NO HOOP or other wires on the body itself. They could add a dial on the box that if turned up it would increase range up to 10 ft or so but no more and if there was other devices nearby then the signal could be reduced by dial as to not interfere .

even cellphones have the tech its called the internal antenna it uses. it is extremely small I actually open a cellphone to look at it. Hearing aid ones would not need to be as big because of it extremely short distance from the box sending the signal.

The oticon amigo is an FM system in that, you wear a hoop on your body that is putting out radiation to your hearing aid. problem with this is its directly on you for long hours even at low power it acumulates.

thanks for suggesting though

maybe I should explain my severe aversion to radiation directly on my body. When I was 26 I had heart surgery to correct defective electrical pathway in my heart. I was exposed to 7 1/2 hours of constant Xray that is like 10-20 lifetimes of xray exposure beyond recommended safe limits. I lucked out in that Mayo upgraded their equipment so my actual exposure if done a week earlier would have been severe. In medical profession its allowed if the alternative is worse like dying from a runaway heart beating 400-500 beats a minute. when it beats this fast you can’t even feel a pulse because your blood stop flowing. It was scary as hell and I agreed to the radiation exposure as trade off. I was and am too young for the medication that is used to control it in that the meds hardens the arteries.

Now you know why I am being such a stickler to radiation exposure. I won’t even use a cellphone. I don’t even stand within 5 ft of my microwave when activated. back ground radiation doesn’t bother me in that nothing I can do to minimize it. I can’t afford anymore concentrated radiation exposure that is avoidable…

resound is on my shit list. I currently use the PL80-DVI (“pixel” no longer manufactured) 3 major fails in 2 years in a controlled environment and I take good care of them. bad design flaws read about it in the “design flaws on the rise” post

I am currently trying to get them replaced with aids that won’t fail in a 5-6 year life cycle. It’s not right that tax payers have to pay for repairs that were clearly company cutting corners to make repeat business profits.

I am currently trying to get them replaced with aids that won’t fail in a 5-6 year life cycle.

Good luck with that. Sadly you are expecting too much of modern consumer goods.

It’s not right that tax payers have to pay for repairs that were clearly company cutting corners to make repeat business profits.

What a load of rubbish. GN Resound is a good company with good staff. It’s not right to accuse them of vile crimes simply because your hearing aid needed a couple of repairs.

Which is no more wireless than plugging an FM “box” into the phone wire then receiving it direct to hearing aid mounted receivers.

Yes, but the issue is of battery power. Until they can develop high power lithium rechargeable batteries which take up a similar amount of space to a zinc air button cell the antenna would be great and the signal would last for… oooh, let’s say 45 seconds. The technology issue you have is battery power. Now improvements in wireless batteries would really help hearing aids as you could slip a battery pack in your pocket, but until batteries themselves improve markedly you simply cannot power this kind of kit. You can choose one or the other, the digital processing done by a hearing aid or the wireless communication done by a non-amplified headset. You could try to get someone to manufacture a headset with analogue amplification suitable to your hearing loss, but the law almost certainly prevents them doing so as it would be classed as a hearing aid so they’d need a hearing aid license and dispensing criteria, plus you’d have to take your hearing aids out every time you wanted to use it. You are looking for technology that in fact is not possible yet. It might look like it’s possible because you have seen so many things so very close, but unless you want to wear a cellphone sized battery in your hearing aid (and find hundreds of thousands of other people who want to also so it’s worth commercially manufacturing the product) then it cannot be done. That’s why there is always an intermediate device.

Incidentally, you clearly did not look at the Oticon Amigo becuase you claim you wear a “hoop” on your body. Look at it. You don’t. I did specifically say that it was hoop free and that’s why I was suggesting it. If you aren’t looking at what people post then I’m not sure it’s worth us bothering. Go and actually look at its total hooplessness.

I am still waiting for nuclear powered batteries that can jump start my car in a pinch. :rolleyes:

both aids its not just 1 its 100% 2 for 2

1 aid twice the other once all three fails were related to same flaw. the mic holes being funnel shaped laying right against the scalp. and the lever to open the battery with the opening edge being on top of the lever instead of the bottom actually funnels moisture in. simple testing in real world would have caught this. Or it did but the company refused to redesign the case to fix these issues.

I still have some of my old aids to compare sise by side not saying brands in that it isn’t about brand unless its a patter by a particular brand.

when i get 2 for 2 hearing aids with MULTI fails and those MULTI FAILS are all same or related fails. That makes the company look bad I am just sharing the info this is NOT my doing I DID NOT DESIGN THE AID OR IGNORED THE REAL FLAWS. I just use them and have a better mechanical understanding than most layman.

And my observation is NOT just based on these couple repairs. its based on all aids I have worn since 1986 out of ALL aids the pixel which by the way is NOT MADE ANYMORE. are the only ones that had same part fail repeatedly. other aids if they failed it was never the same part if at all.

This gives me the right to bash them I don’t represent anyone but myself. and that it is NOT LIBEL in that it is from direct personal LIFE TIME experience. of wearing a multitude hearing aids of 30+ year span

you on the other hand by your name says “you do” represent 3rd party. that is conflict of interest. If I am wrong about the meaning of “englishDispenser” then I am sorry. I am ASSUMING that “dispenser” means that you sell aids or sell aids for someone. and “english” meaning either your english speaking or from the English speaking country.

I am NOT putting up with a company that has a 100% product rate of merchandise that I have my hands on fail meaning more than 1 product.

why would I subject myself to continuing buying from a company that had a 2 product for 2 product fail rate? Why should I or tax payer pay anymore and take the company word for it when the product"S" in hand says to the contrary?

Because of the way repairs are recorded a pattern can’t be seen when looking at statistics. Because the company repair logs is TOO VAGUE.

Good people at resound yea sure problem is those good people are not in the right positions (decision making branch)(quality oversight)

It isn’t just me, Minnesota changed its policy regarding lowest bidder which these aids were from.

They don’t change the policy like that unless all or most of the vendors were screwing us over.

I wasn’t just bashing resound alone i have pointed out either here or elsewhere that i had 5 to choose from all different companies ALL had similar design flaws. Resound I thought would be the lesser of 5 evils so to speak. I bashed all 5. Only resound got the majority of bashing because they have 2year real life experience and 2 products not just 1 in my hands.

On the other hand if I never wore hearing aids and was just reading off the internet other user input with NO PERSONAL experience then yea I would not have the right to bash GN Resound in that it would be LIBEL.

and your not expecting enough of modern MEDICAL DEVICES WHICH ARE NOT CLASSED IS CONSUMER GOODS. or they are not suppose to be and that was another underhanded lobbying that corporations pushed through at some point.

thanks for the humor I agree with your point if it wasn’t a medical device.

which really isn’t a consumer good, because only a select few use it to treat a medical condition.

And the jump-starter is a consumer product for the masses.

the bottom red one is the receiver you have to wear that one your person do you not??? within 2ft of the aids?? and if you do that “Y” contraption at the top is “wire” Quote from the oticon page "Amigo Arc – a universal “neckloop” FM receiver for use with ITEs, BTEs,
and Cochlear Implants with dedicated T/MT programs
"

the top one with the mic box and adapter for hearing aid is not for telephone use and the mic has to be right next to the sound source.
And i am not sure if you can put the mic in from of the phone ear piece without causing feedback and it may not transfer properly. don’t know for sure.
Quote from oticon site “A The Amigo T31 Educational transmitter
B The Amigo Universal receiver” its FM system not a device interface for phone or tv.

based on the above your going to have to explain to me how “YOU” use it in that is not how their site describes its use.

I am assuming the mouse shaped device is the mic box and transmitter while the little device is the piece connected to the aid.
And how would this be adapted to connect to the line coming out of the phone that goes to the hand piece??

honestly sound coming out of the phone does not travel the same way a real voice does so not sure it would pick it up that good…

I know from FM systems back when I was in grade school when the mic was put in front of TV speakers it all came out distorted and wasn’t clear. I couldn’t understand a word of it. I wound up turning the system off and going sitting in front of the tv

reason I didn’t mention this last one was I didn’t see how it would interface with a phone without putting the mic right in front of the ear piece on the handheld. my FM use in past been disaster using it in the manor i described with tv.

Is there some other amigo I don’t know about because this is the info I used in my last response to you. Oticon isn’t giving lot of detail on how it all works.

I can’t get sound on the site but in the introduction vid it showed in text “auxiliary input” would that be the “audio out” on some of the amplified phones??

If so, this might work, Wish I could try it. Not sure MA would go for that though… Minnesota medicaid… its above and beyond standard hearing aids.

It would help a lot if I could use both ears on the phone at same time.

After reading this post, I think we have moved from hearing on the telephone to something far from the original question. Sorry to hear about your Resound issues.

Assuming you have a nicely sealed ear canal, why couldn’t you use your hearing aid microphone to hear the conversation from the phone reciever? No T-coil needed. (T-coils potentially add the ‘buzzing’ noise which doesn’t allow you to clearly hear the conversation) Or maybe consider an amplified telephone. As for binaural hearing on the phone, have you considered speakerphone?

As for hearing the tv, for those people who are not interested in neckloops and that sort of thing, I know of a great number of people who set up a nice home theater system for themselves and they are quite happy. Most times you can get the stereo shop to come set it up for you.

I have tried aid its self problem is is with the way sound travels from the phone the hearing aid can’t pick it up without severe loss in volume and distortion.

I have tried this with every single aid I have ever owned over the years.

I am checking into the amigo fm system in that the reciever is connected to the aid for pick up thus “no hoop for added radiation.” and if the said audio jack from the phone will work in the axuilary in on the mic transmitter to transmit to both ears at the same time I would be able to use both ears to help understand things like accents and low talking volume.

I guess it depends if the receiver is sending any frequency back to the mic transmitter “telling the mic that the receiver is online”

I am setting appointment with doc soon to get referral and I have to write letter as to why need to replace aids 3 years early and see if MA will cover cost of amigo along with new aids

either way appealing for new aids, just had 4th fail week after the 3rd one occurred.

especially want new aids in light of the post put out about connection between dementia and hearing loss, in that I “suspect” I have the earliest stages setting in, short term memory getting worse. Been sensing the change for some time now, just didn’t know what it meant… only symptom experiencing is forgetfulness. especially when trying to mufti-task.
turn sink faucet on in kitchen , then go to bathroom and come out and forget I left faucet on. Can’t hear the faucet running, which would remind most hearing people.

currently use 32db gain amp phone, can’t use aids when using phones due to lack of sound transfer and feedback and distortion. Most callers I really struggle to hear many I give up trying because its impossible.

amp phone scale the entire sound spectrum it is not scaled for the loss I have. speaker phone distorts in that the speaker is too substandard and does not cover entire sound spectrum. and there is feedback issue when sound level is used at its higher setting. The other end hear themselves talking, causing them to have problems understanding.

I am hoping that an amigo or equivalent can be connected to phone through audio jack and transmitted to my aids them have my aids programed to adjust level to make it so it sounds as if the person is talking next to me using both aids.

its 3 parts the quality of phone audiojack and what sound quality it has, and the same but as a receiver on the transmitter box and 3rd how well the aids transfer the signal back to sound.

To make a very long story short the Mayo clinic is using VoIP phones in most of their areas. To say every one/group has the own freq is incorrect., I have setup Vocera devices in 7 major hospitals. there multiple servers, switches and routers that handle each mac addr as belonging to whomever logged on from that device. There’s endless ways to configure users in groups or multiple groups. Some people can only talk to people in there group some can ask for Joe Blow and of Joe is in that hosp/network they will get the call. Some folks can ask for Jane Smith and even is she is in the hosp 30 miles away it will work the same as her being in the next room. all of this is hands free except to press a bottm on the device clipped to a scrub or around a neck or a small headset depending on your job.

This particular system was linked to phone specifically they can’t access this anywhere else other than the frequency specific earpiece. I think this was done so as not to interfere with other transmissions going around by having isolated systems.
when they receive a call a robo arm physically lifts the receiver off the phone then the signal is transferred to earpiece. this does not sound like the system your referring too. our institutions used dedicated hardline placed all over the complex when a doctor needs to be contacted they get buzzed through a pager, Then gives number said staff needs to call. Other reason its done in this manor is privacy. They don’t want staff walking down the hall talking about patient cases. we have very high profile clients that come through here. Like prince of Saudi Arabia. he spends on average 3-million $$ in non medical expenses when visiting. several presidents Like Ronald Regan. So we don’t want staff talking in public areas unless absolutely necessary.

The reason the communication is done like this is that we reserve the air waves for the transfer of say ekg signal to a tech lab on other side of town. or in same building. I am regular at mayo. Couple of occasions I have had extended stays on months on end. One year practically lived there. I am curious as to how stuff works so I am always asking questions.

Only reason I brought it up is if there was a private sector 1 person unit like it that could be adapted to a HA. Now that another postor mentioned amigo with the auxiliary adapter I have something specific to point to when talking to doctor of audiology.

Anything that keeps any level of concentrated radiation off me.