Hearing Aids and Hi-Fi

@drcrandon There is a dac with amplifier and parametric equalier that caters for people with hearing loss. This is the RME ADI-2 where the equalization can be varied differently for left and right channels, and this feature is there for people whose hearing loss is different between ears.
It is expensive however (for non-audiophiles).
A cheaper alternative is the Wiim Mini Pro.

The Poweramp Equalizer for Android is a parametric equalizer as well. It is quite intuitive. It is $15 for the license. Free to trial. Left and right channel configurations are independently controlled.

There’s more to music reproduction than frequency response.

IDK … live music (mainly bluegrass in 2nd or 3rd row, some orchestral from middle rows, some percussion fairly close to stage in a concert hall) sounds fine through my HAs (Jabra Pro 10s, Philips 9010s before that, Phonak Brios before that).

Music at home or in the car sounds very strange. Melodies that I knew well do not sound familiar to me. Boosting bass helps. I’ll try the tape over the mics method. My system is old but very good

Strangely, streaming stuff I’ve copied to my phone (mainly rock, some folk and orchestral) sounds OK usually, though it sounds better when I boost bass.

FYI, that is very old info. Marshall Chasin used that mod back when input headroom on HAs had 95 to 100dB SPL. The scotch tape would prevent clipping of the input signal.
The newer Oticon, and Widex go up to 113dB SPL, and feature a frequency response in the range of 80hz-10khz.

Here’s a post by Dr. Chasin from a few years ago, which addresses the issue, but doesn’’ include the newest specs.

Agreed. As an audiophile, any measurements I read must have the parameters they are measured under listed, or the numbers are essentially meaningless.

1 Like