Hearing aids and dental work

Hello, I’m going to have some dental work done, crown, bridge and X-rays. Do you advise taking my hearing aids out or can I leave them in?

I know I won’t hear much with the dentist wearing a mask without the aids, but I don’t want to damage them either.

I leave them in while getting my teeth cleaned as the hygienist said it was okay.

What do you advise?

My hygienist says that just for simple cleanings most of her patients just leave their HA’s in and have no problem. I asked her about spray from cleaning getting into microphones, etc., and she said that with the head tilted back while reclining there wasn’t going to be any problem. That’s just her report to me as to how things go in her experience.

1 Like

In all the years I have worn hearing aids I have never removed them for dental work or xrays. I want to make sure I hear clearly when the dentist goes Oops

5 Likes

I have worn hearing aids for 62 years and I have never removed them for dental work or xrays

1 Like

Funny. I just had some work done, and am heading back for more this week. I’ll likely be going quite a bit the next six months as I want some implants done. It didn’t even occur to me to ask whether or not I should take them off.

There is nothing better during a dental visit than streaming music to your aids, and muting the mics!
Drill away!

The last time I went for a cleaning, the dentist’s office had imposed very strict aerosol control. Rinse water was in a cup. The usual water wash system was not in use. I don’t know how widespread that practice is, or the procedures to which it applies. But it sure means no mist anywhere the hearing aids.

When I get x-rays, I take the hearing aids out and hold them in my lap under the lead apron.

I think that’s a smart move (because that’s what I do!) … the More3s I wear have 28nm etching on the chip, and I worry that it wouldn’t take much of an EMP to knock them for a loop.

[Copied from another topic for convenience… ]

2h

My wonderful Veterans’ Affairs Canada :canada:has just approved me for an Oticon EduMic.

I was reading the online manual, which says this:

I don’t see why/how the HAs themselves would be any less susceptible to damage than the EduMic.

FYI

My sentiments exactly @hass5744, been using HA’s for 30+ years and never ever removed them in the Dentists… Prior to Covid-19, when we were allowed to go to the Barbers, I wouldn’t remove my aids, as my barber loves to chat, and I would hear sweet FA, if I took them out, so I just unhook them off the top of my ears, and let them dangle with molds still attached, it must look weird to other customers, but I don’t care… :joy: :upside_down_face: :rofl: