Hearing aid prescription?

Feeling kinda dumb here – especially after 20+ years and multiple hearing aids – but several posts mention a “prescription” when talking about fitting hearing aids. Is this something different from an audiogram?
Thanks!
-kate.

@HOHKate The audiogram is the beginning of a prescription. It’s more like a diagnosis.

The prescription would be the recommendation for a particular HA, plus the fitting settings within the software. The ‘prescribed gain’ required.

That is usually expressed as a target. Those on here who self program might be able to elaborate. Finally, the Real Ear Measurement can verify that the settings are actually achieving the target that is prescribed.

The audiogram is a report upon which all of this is built. I’d agree that it is a prescription in the sense it’s a piece of paper you can take from an audiologist and give it to your chosen vendor.

Hope this makes sense!

PS I noticed in a previous post that you had Lyrics. I trialled them. Do you still use them?

In response to your PS, I loved the Lyrics while I had them! But my loss has changed enough that it’s better suited to a “smarter” instrument.

I couldn’t continue as they caused a little irritation. I had them for roughly 3 months.

I did find that they did strange things with music. Seemed to lose all the bass.

Got distracted over getting a DeWalt 20v Li-ion powered cordless drill/driver after making do with a hapless 12v Ni-Cad powered one for decades. Ni-Cad batteries are the pits.

I may have read the wrong part of my benefits. There are two paragraphs. One for patients 19+ years old. The other for patients up through 18 years.

The paragraph on benefits for minors says (in part): “…allows coverage for medically necessary hearing aids and related services…” And the paragraph concludes, again: “…any treatment related to hearing aids, including coverage for habilitation and rehabilitation as necessary for educational gain. Coverage is limited to one hearing aid in each ear every three years as medically or audiologically necessary.”

In the paragraph for minors, there is no mention of a benefits limit as there is for patients 19+ years in the preceding paragraph. The 19+ patient paragraph also does not say that the HA’s have to be medically or audiologically necessary (but you would think that in the interest of controlling coverage expenses that would/should be a requirement for those 19+ years old patients).

Perhaps I got my use of the word “prescription” from reading The Little Book of Hearing Aids by Geoffrey Cooling, an audiologist and blogger on the Hearing Aid Know website. The book is available as a Kindle edition on Amazon and mostly covers the marketing/brands/models and human issues involved in acquiring a hearing aid - not so much the technical details of fittings, at least for the 2018 edition that I read.

Excerpt from book:

If I were to give you full amplification (the prescription
you needed to correct your hearing), you would run
screaming from my office. You wouldn’t like it one bit; you
would find the level of amplification overwhelming.

So, I will first set you to a reduced prescription, one that
benefits you but doesn’t challenge you too much. You will still
note a dramatic difference. However, it will be as much as
you can handle.

Over a period that varies from customer to customer, I
will then increase the amplification to your prescription level.

Not every Professional will follow this protocol. Modern
hearing aids have an auto-acclimatisation feature. It is a
feature that I can set, at the first fitting which will gently turn
the hearing aid prescription up towards your prescription
level over a controllable and customizable level of time.

I use the system; however, I still like to see the customer
during this period to assess the increase and to discuss the
changes and their experiences. I believe that this is the best
way to serve my customers.

We base the prescription on your hearing loss. The
manufacturers base their prescriptions on thousands of
hours of research and thousands of ears."

So I think between my possible misreading of my insurance coverage and my reading of Cooling’s book, that’s where I got any usage of “prescription” from. My audiogram report does have an amplification recommendation on it, reported as “binaural amplification candidate” and the diagnosis in my overall report from the visit is SNHL. I see davart has given you some pretty good answers while I was busy playing around with my new cordless drill.

Thanks, Jim. You’re not the first to use “prescription” on the forum. As a PS, I LOVE lithium ion tools – hard to believe the work a battery-powered chainsaw can do!

Although I’m having some “out-of-the-box blues” with the drill. Charger says it’s fully charged for both batts yet only 1 of 3 LED’s light on each battery, indicating <50% charge (house temp currently 66 deg F). So I’ve e-mailed DeWalt for a simple explanation/remedy or request for brand new 100% all-green LED’s when charger says fully charged.

Acknowledging your post – didn’t want to give it a “like”…

Was fishing for an explanation from any other Li-ion powered tool user, especially of DeWalt tools, as to whether this is pretty odd behavior for a brand new tool - and since you mentioned Li-ion powered chain saws, I thought maybe you might have some experience. But I guess it’s best just to go by whatever the official DeWalt answer is. Was not looking for a LIKE!

EDIT_UPDATE: Seems answer is batteries were not crammed fully onto charger spikes. Pressing much harder snaps them into place on the prongs and gives charging behavior expected for degree of charge indicated by LED’s on batteries themselves. Not so great to be able to make contact and get charging light action before batteries are fully seated.