Hearing aid manufacturers need to offer both disposal batteries and rechargeable

Simply because there are serious advantages to both power sources. I’m old enough to realize now that there are many HA users who never have used a disposable battery. For many their first HA used rechargeable batteries and they know nothing different. On the other hand there are HA users like myself that have used disposable batteries there whole life and don’t do a lot of streaming. I’m not here to push one battery type over another. But if Phonak coming out with the Lumity thinks its the future offering new aids with rechargeable batteries only - then company is making a major mistake.

For years all I’ve heard is rechargeable batteries save HA users the cost of buying disposable batteries year in, year out. Well that’s true except for the fact that I can six months worth of disposable batteries (size 13) for say $20 bucks, give or take. So let’s just throw out the completely false cost factor. Especially since HA manufactures charge user the cost of a battery charger along with the higher cost of a rechargeable battery (maybe two) that greatly exceeds the cost of disposable batteries for say three years.

Then next we get into environmental issues where HA manufactures claim disposable batteries are bad for the environment. As if HA manufacturers give a hoot about climate change, toxic materials and clean air. Give me a break. I’m more concerned about water disappearing on the West coast and Florida being underwater in twenty years than if some disposable batteries end up in a dump some where.

When you finally cut through the weeds a lot comes down to some one’s hearing loss level. Someone with a mild loss might just be perfect with rechargeable aids. On the other side of the coin someone with a severe hearing loss might like the power provided by a 675 battery. Then you have the group (large group) that does a lot of streaming, phone calling, etc., that drains a battery faster than normal. What ever “normal” is. That’s when rechargeable batteries come in especially for the smaller batteries such a sizes 5, 10, 312. Makes all the sense in the world to recharge these small batteries, if you using your hearing aid for more than just general aid amplification.

But when you get in the size 13 or 675 battery there some serious advantages to going disposable. A user doesn’t have to worry about putting aids in a charger at night. A user of larger batteries doesn’t have to worry about power outages or packing a charging kit when traveling. If your in a meeting and your aid battery dies, you just excuse yourself, find the nearest private area/rest room and put in a fresh battery. That is if you carry some spares with you.

Personally I wouldn’t want to deal with going some where knowing my rechargeable battery might die while I’m at a restaurant, movie, date or what ever. Sure there is a timing factor here but still its a question mark if someone rechargeable battery is going to last 18 hours, 20 hours or 30 plus depending on daily usage and streaming. With a disposable battery I know I have 7 to 9 days operating use with a size 13 battery and maybe two weeks with a 675. That provides piece of mind.

I’ve read a ton of posts on HT about chargers not working properly or HA users upset their regaragble batteries are not charging correctly. Over time I think general recharge issues have improved, but still I read complaints from time to time.

In any case HA manufactures need to offer both types of batteries to the buying public since different people have different needs living with a hearing loss, Hopefully Phonak realizes its better to appease everyone by offering battery options. Excluding certain groups or those with a severe to profound hearing loss is not what we we call “consumer friendly”.

16 Likes

Agree with everything you said. I get 21 days with my 675 battery’s, 15 hours a day and no streaming.

9 Likes

I agree wholeheartedly with your statements @stevemink & @turners1962 I get 11 or 12 days from my 675’s, I stream a fair bit… One other proviso, if they are going to force end users to use rechargeable aids, give us easy access to the battery compartment, so we can carry spares, and easily swap out a discharged battery or one that is kaput…It would make life so much easier without battery anxiety… Are you listening Phonak!!!

8 Likes

Not likely. But if they were, pretty sure you burned the bridge already.

Disposible batteries or disposable hearing aids? Choose your poison.

Rechargeable hearing aid batteries (for all except Oticon) are built-in and not-replaceable except via factory repair (hopefully still under warranty) and even then, we are unsure if they will re repaired or replaced.

3 Likes

Why are guys opening too many of the same threads?

4 Likes

We wanted one just for us (disposable version) the others got “hijacked” he he

3 Likes

@Dusty, I burned every bridge that was in it…And then some, just for good measure, on this very forum for 10 plus years :grin: But simultaneously, I praise the hearing aid manufacturers, when credit is due…

My thought exactly. We get it already…

1 Like

Just back from a 36 day tour in SE Asia. I found it to be a hassle to have to charge my KS10’s at least once per day, when going out in the evening, having to give them a extra boost. So next time, if possible disposables for me.

4 Likes

I don’t think most people care one way or the other. Plus rechargeable aids have a shorter lifespan and eventually the aids have to be sent in to have the batteries replaced. The manufacturer loves that idea.

3 Likes

Favorite sport on the forum. Apple vs Android used to compete, but has been a distant second for awhile. Perhaps tilting at windmills is next?

3 Likes

I’m in awe of your train wreck of a strategy. Why do you imagine that “the lowest form of life” would pay someone to read irrational commentary? They constantly have to make choices that must inevitably not please everyone. Now you think that absurd rhetoric will make them want to help you? Curious to see how that pans out. If it works then perhaps it can be used next time my cat is scared by the JWs ringing my doorbell.

I agree wholeheartedly with your post, but this got a chuckle from me:

Have I been doing it wrong all these years? I just change it right there. If it’s a 1 on 1 meeting I might wait so my attention isn’t divided but usually I’ll just pull out the pack of batteries I carry with me, make the swap, and put the aid back in. Takes less than a minute. I’ve never thought of changing a hearing battery as something that’s obscene/rude to do in front of others…

Back to the main topic; I am surprised at how heated the discussion around this has gotten here both in this and the other thread. There are completely valid reasons to prefer both rechargeable aids and those with disposable batteries and I don’t think anyone except possibly Phonak is “pushing” one or the other.

4 Likes

When I purchased my KS10s, the fitter advised to bring them in for “refurbishment” just before the end of the warranty. (3 years IIRC) He said it would take a couple weeks, and they’d be returned with new batteries. I doubt that. It’s just about certain they’d be replaced with entirely new aids, or at a minimum new internals and receivers. I’m thinking Sonova foots that bill, and it’s highly unlikely they love the idea. More likely is that they assume the generous offer increases purchaser confidence and thereby increases sales, and that only some percentage of purchasers take advantage of the offer anyway because some other percentage upgrades before then, and a small percentage dies. It’s similar to the calculation made in the usual store front HA business model. The seller makes the buyer confident that the high price is worth it because one way or another, they’re likely to be satisfied owing to all the perks - multiple free trials, unlimited visits and hand holding. But the seller has a good idea about the percentages - some clients will run the seller into the ground, others will only require one visit, and the rest are somewhere in between. If the client is on their last legs, some observers might say that charging them a high price is just plain mean. But others might say they deserve only the best. Certainly that’s what the coffin maker will say.

1 Like

Sorry @Dusty no can do, I don’t bite… You have a good day :sweat_smile: Your rhetoric, speaks volumes of whom you are… Perhaps insignificant comes to mind, as we say in Scotland, “Awa an’ bile yir heed”… Of which there are many interpretations, but I will keep mines to myself… Take it easy, Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

Seems like a well-reasoned letter/petition would have a better chance of success than that response and all the others. Maybe I’m misunderstanding your goal. Is it to get companies and government to consider your wants, or is it more about venting disgruntlement?

1 Like

My take is most of the disagreement on the issue is that some come here in “complaining mode” (we’re all there sometimes) and the rest of us are in “problem solving mode” and people in complaining mode don’t want to hear it, they just want to be listened to.

3 Likes

Agreed. Or maybe it’s a hobby. Anyway, I usually love a good rant. Note the qualification. :slight_smile: My beef is with the conclusion jumping and logical fallacies. Such as the premise that if the companies don’t make what some purchasers want, then all sorts of unproven speculative motives must be true.

1 Like

In truth @Dusty, I don’t really care much for the major manufacturers, I do like some of their aids though… The whole hearing aid system is corrupt, and basically a cartel, who’s whole aim is to exploit a cornered market, they are the piper’s who call the tune, and we are forced to dance to that tune, and accept their overly inflated prices… What always sticks in my craw, is the fact, this exploitation is against disabled, and disadvantaged folks, whom are likely, to be less well paid, because of their hearing loss, they are also more likely to be left out, when promotions come around their workplace… I spent the last 20 years of my working life, targeting work in social care, and criminal justice, I actively choose lesser paid jobs, in the fond hope I could help disadvantaged people…But, all my life, I was never really interested in money, it didn’t float my boat… As long as I had enough to get bye, then that was fine… Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes