Hearing Aid Issues (SPORTS HEARING AID)

I’m an aspiring industrial designer from the Lafayette area, I’m currently working on a healthcare project involving hearing aids. My objective for this project is to provide a better solution to the device’s securing system for users who are high physical activity (sports). For this project, I’m looking to get a deeper understanding of the user, which may involve insights from an audiologist and also a questionnaire for user research that will last 5-10 minutes.
I would love to get some great feedback by Tuesday August 7, 2018. Thank you

My following questions are:

1. What are your top 3 concerns in regards to wearing aids?

2. Give me a breakdown of your day with the device?

3. Which type of activity do you engage in? Does it limit the use of your hearing aid and why?

4. How does this it impact other parts of your life?

5. What are you currently doing to fix this problem?

6. What do you look for as an user aesthetically and functionality wise?

It might help if you could better define your project, who your are conducting it for, and the hearing aid wearers you are targeting–i.e., what do you mean by “securement system for users who are in high activity”? Do you mean highly physically active people who wear hearing aids? I’m not sure what you mean by “securement system.” Perhaps you can post your questionnaire on this site and set a timeline for responses. You may be surprised by how many people will respond. Just a thought.

I’m sorry. I have taken into consideration what you told me to revise and above, do have a more in depth project statement and questions posted. Sorry

What are your top 3 concerns in regards to wearing aids?

• Do they allow me to hear as well as I want to hear?
  • Are they comfortable enough for me to wear?
  • Can they stand up to my extreme sweating.

Give me a breakdown of your day with the device?

• 4:00AM I put them in.
  • 9:00PM I take them out.

Which type of activity do you engage in? Does it limit the use of your hearing aid and why?

• Cycling and weight lifting. I sweat profusely so I take them out before going to the gym and put them back in after I have stopped sweating. Even those rated IPV7 don’t stand up to my sweating.

How does this it impact other parts of your life?

• Any time I start sweating, I have to be mindful of my hearing aids. Hot weather, carrying the groceries in, doing almost anything physical and I sweat from my head profusely.

What are you currently doing to fix this problem?

• I bought hearing aids that have a maximum rating of wetness protection. (Oticon Opn 1) They are expensive. Still, I find I have to take them out frequently.

What do you look for as an user aesthetically and functionality wise?

• Esthetics are not a concern to me. I had CIC aids for 5 years and dealt with the wetness problems. Now I wear BTE aids and it is not so bad, but it is still an issue. It’s a cross I must bear I’m afraid.

Deenarcisse:

Thanks for clarifying your project. No apologies necessary. Here you go:

1. What are your top 3 concerns in regards to wearing aids?
    Functionality (sound clarity, mainly in noise)
    Quality/Durability
    Price

2. Give me a breakdown of your day with the device?
    Typical day consists of 12-16 hours of wear.

3. Which type of activity do you engage in? Does it limit the use of your hearing aid and why?
    I tend to leave the hearing aids out if I know I am going to be doing something highly physical that will cause me to sweat excessively.

4. How does this it impact other parts of your life?
    It would be nice to have waterproof hearing aids that are high quality, durable, and rechargeable. I don’t like having to worry about exposure to water (sweat, rain or snow), dust (or even hairspray), and how such exposure might detrimentally affect my very expensive hearing devices.

5. What are you currently doing to fix this problem?
    I considered buying sealed hearing aids that use lithium-ion batteries, as they are supposed to be more water resistant because the battery doors are opened less frequently. I have also considered using Ear Gear products.

6. What do you look for as an user aesthetically and functionality wise?
    Functionality: Sound clarity is key, especially in noise. Rechargeability, if it is reliable. Binaural streaming for phone calls and music, with Bluetooth connectivity.

Aesthetics: I like that my brand of RIC hearing aid is fairly small and it matches my hair color pretty well. Really, I guess I’m past the age of worrying about the aesthetics of hearing aids. I’d rather hear well than worry about whether people are noticing my hearing aids.

Wishing you success with your project!