Hearing aid full replacement prior to warranty expiration

Just tested this, albeit with P90 R now.

If I play on one and start on another, it will switch, but from what I’ve gathered fast only when I have lap play on and start phone, other way won’t switch until I don’t stop phone play.

I believe Marvel’s can pair to 8 devices. I am paired to 5 or 6 without a problem.

In MFi aids that do find my HAs it is like having location services on the aids. You can find them the same way you can a misplaced phone. You do not need to be within hearing distance as you would need to be for a beep sound. And without aids some people will have trouble locating the beep. Also you can program them to recognize a location and set a special program change for that location eg. Music program for your favorite performing arts centre. I found that less useful than the find my aids feature though.

Ok I still don’t understand.

This about arts centre uses what gps on phone to share location with aids and then aids switch program.

But aids don’t have GPS or something in them, plus GPS usually isn’t working inside and definitely not to distinguish in small areas eg if if device is at this or that size of the door / room /desk /basket.

So how that works exactly, do you maybe know?

For misplaced phone so far I know about gps based services, but that’s also ballpark, and not inside flats, and definitely not room distinction.
Or beeping/ringing of some sorts.

So, what I’m missing? Can you share some links for the feature, or videos? I feel like I’m stuck in the past :joy:

Sounds like you do not use an iPhone. With the Linx2 aids I had you would use your iPhone to find the aids. The app would tell you whether you were getting closer or further away once they were close. It sort of guided you to them. Read up on the features of MFi aids eg. The latest ones from Resound. Connecting via low energy signals to stream is not the only feature MFi aids offer. I have not looked it up recently because the Resound aids did not suit me for hearing (microphone noise) so I won’t try to detail them for you. Just be aware that the connectivity is not the only advantage on offer.

Try. https://www.resound.com/en-au/hearing-aids/apps/smart-3d

This is just an example and I have no connection to any HA company.

I had the same warranty with Costco. I sent my Resounds back for warranty repairs close to the end of the warranty. They replaced them with the same model. I reread the original post and I do not see where they replaced them with the newer model. It would not be good business practice to do so

Geofencing on the phone.

The aids don’t know where they are but the phone does. Works just like my Tado heating system. When my phone gets within a certain distance of the house it turns the heating on.

You can set your hearing aids to change listening profile on the same basis, but the Phone does all the fancy GPS.

I just have no idea how this would work.
Maybe by playing hot-cold game like if you’re getting closer or moving away by measuring strength of the signal.

Yeah, don’t own iphone nor anything from apple and never intend to, so I’m not familiar with their tech, just general principles.

Yeah, that was my initial assumption, but when @Psocoptera said it works indoors, and we know that HAs themselves don’t have GPS and GPS doesn’t work indoors to table/room precision, I just didn’t see what else could be.

Until this hint about saying if you’re closer or away.

But I don’t see the reason why it’d need mfi for that, bt or btle should also suffice, eg I don’t see why phonak didn’t give such feature since they have both bt already. Since initial discussion started about mfi being needed for find my aids feature.

I don’t think anyone other than Apple have facilitated that. It has been my experience that Phonak seems to try to keep it simple - I suspect it is because they think of users as predominantly elderly with simple phones. Personally I think that they need to update and cater for the needs of people who are quite comfortable with tech.

That’s not just a perk of Costco hearing aids but every hearing aid I’ve worn in the last 30 years replaced all of the components when sent in just prior to warranty expiration.

Thanks. I guess in the past I wasn’t paying attention at warranty’s end about keeping the same pair going. I hope this will alert folks to give that attention, even if they plan to buy new HAs. Good to have working backups.

2 Likes

Wait, it’s not feature of the hearing aid app but phone itself?

They are interdependent. Apple provide the capability and the HA company decide to include it in their app. Apple also provide some controls for the HAs with their own system which I think is still triple click on home button.

I use “triple click on Home button” w/ iPhone all the time for the built-in Apple function to control HAs. It’s so simple for most of the functions I need. Also available is the Live Listen function which utilizes the iPhone mic for pickup. Haven’t used in awhile, so forget details.

I looked a bit and found tons of ‘find my bluetooth device’ app on android, so I assume there are similar apps for iphone, so you might look into them if they could help you for those unfortunate deliveries to the waste bin :slight_smile: