Hearing aid compatible phones

Hello All,
I’m interested in good Hearing aid compatible Cell Phones.
Can you offer me a model that is tested and works well?
Thank you.

0 Likes

Simple sounding question but it’s a lot more complicated. If you’re talking about a hearing aid that has the ability to receive sound (have sound streamed directly to it) directly from the cell phone, the best opiton is to get an Apple iPhone. For this to work, this will require a made for iPhone hearing aid.

I’ll keep it simple, but there’s multiple threads on this forum about this topic. Regarding which iPhone to get, basically up to personal preference and budget: Anything from iPhone 6S and up (7,8 and X) should work. Ideally, best to see how it works before committing. Although the technology works impressively well, there are “gitches.”

0 Likes

I mean a mobile phone that works well with the T-Coil in HA

0 Likes

Ah! Like I said, lots of interpretations. I haven’t heard much comment on this on the forum, but can add that some manufactuers supply little magnets to attach to the phone. Again, I’d strongly suggest trying the phone before purchasing. I also know phones are rated for their telecoil compatibility.

1 Like

Here is a good article on HAC - Hearing Aid Compatible cell phones.
https://www.asha.org/public/hearing/Hearing-Aids-and-Cell-Phones/

Here is the Apple iPhone Hearing Aid Compatible (HAC) chart.

Note the Mx and Tx numbers, then scroll down below phone models to see -

Learn what the HAC ratings mean

• M: For reduced radio-frequency interference to enable acoustic coupling with hearing aids that don’t operate in telecoil mode
  • T: For inductive coupling with hearing aids operating in telecoil mode

I have not found an overall listing for Android phones, obviously with so many Android versions and phone models. The first link explains were to look. I have found Mx and Tx ratings on most cell phones on the manufacturer web site, though some are hard to find. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I don’t think any cell phone really works with telecoil. You can put a magnet on it to get the hearing aid to go into t-coil mode, but I don’t think the cell phone is actually communicating in t-coil.

The best performance with a cell phone is with the manufacturers Bluetooth device. They are truly hands free and you get sound in both ears, making it easier to understand speech. I use mine several hours a day and would not be without it.

In addition to cell phones, the hearing aid manufacturers Bluetooth devices also connect to laptops and tablets, for videos, music, movies, Skype, etc.

2 Likes

Sorry to disagree, but there is at least one, Widex, that makes a Telecoil loop for mobile phones.
https://www.widex.com/en-us/hearing-aids/hearing-aid-accessories/dex-hearing-aid-remote-controls/t-dex

0 Likes

There are also generic Bluetooth/telecoil neck loops, but I don’t think that was the OP’s question. If you are going to use an additional device the manufacturers Bluetooth device would be more functional, in my opinion.

0 Likes

I agree with you, yes. That is why I posted my previous post with the links for more info on HAC mobile phones.

0 Likes

My English language skills are limited, so be patient,
but I want to share something with you.
My son has a severe to profound sensorineural hearing loss .
The audiogram on my profile is actually on my son.
Until a year ago, he could not use Cell Phone.
He now uses hearing aids with the following capabilities:

Near−Field Magnetic Induction (NFMI) technology
BINAURAL SYNCHRONIZATION - The binaural synchronization feature
allows two hearing aids to wirelessly synchronize adjustments such as
program modes or volume control.
BINAURAL TELECOIL - The binaural telecoil wirelessly streams telecoil
audio signals from one hearing aid to the other.
This enables hearing aid users to hear phone calls in both ears,
improving speech intelligibility.
Stereo audio signals can be streamed wirelessly from a relay device
to hearing aids equipped with Active T-Coil.
I did a test -I turned on my hearing aid to only work in T-Coil mode.
The result was impressive! I was restricted only by the distance.
I did another test by using Induction Loop Amplifier .
That allowed my son to stream wirelessly from a relay device Stereo audio signals.
There are also many models of TVs that are compatible with hearing aids on the market.
Some cell phone models work better with hearing aids they use NFMI technology.
Experts say that on the phone box should be write - “M4” and “T4”.

0 Likes