Hearing aid color for men

You are taking my statements out of context. IP 58 does mean they should work underwater, if you read the technical spec for an 8 rating on electronics and not a hearing aid ad. The HA does NOT, nor do they even state it is allowed to get wet, let alone be immersed, hence my point that their claim of IP58 is fiction, at least the 8 part.

I chose clear but had wished I gone with brown for my HA color choice.

I have just ordered some brown Ear Gear.

I just don’t get all the boring colors.

For difficult-to-see hearing aids, others aren’t really going to see the instrument, so the only thing that matters is user preference. I prefer bright colors, and I’d really like my tiny instruments to be easy to find if I set them down or drop them. The more contrast with floors or counters, the better!

For easy-to-see aids, they’re going to be about as noticeable no matter what color they are. That peach-colored plastic isn’t fooling anyone.

Unfortunately, the instruments I have on order (Resound Cala 8 from Costco) only came in a range of boring browns or greys or some “translucent” colors that sounded cool but looked muddy and awful. I ended up ordering the Sterling Grey, which is pretty boring but I figured would be likely to show up if I dropped it.

I rarely wear my aids w/o covers… I usually have the neon green on.

I got Resounds with the gray which is about my hair color anyhow. Nobody notices them.

You men who fool yourself into thinking no one sees your aids… :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Ron got hearing aids? Why isn’t he wearing them. (says someone to my wife). He is wearing them she points out.

I’m not vain about my aids, and don’t care if people see them. I noticed when I started wearing aids over a decade ago that I started seeing people with hearing aids that I’d never noticed before. I don’t notice as much these days.

I’m convinced that people who wear aids notice, and those who don’t usually won’t. When discussing this with people who haven’t noticed when I tell them I wear aids, I say that I’m convinced that I could wear grapefruits behind my ears and most people wouldn’t notice.

As a long time user, when I got hearing aids I was in business dealing with lots of clients and would let my hair grow so to cover my hearing BTE aids.

Then, I went to very good class at VA on hearing loss and hearing aids and instructor brought up the fact that people need to know you have a hearing loss and in many cases they will respond to you with more direct and louder conversation. I was also teaching university courses, and I started each new session with short talk about being hearing impaired and ask students to be aware that I might not understand them and was not being rude and ignoring them. And asking them to speak up. And a couple of short jokes about hearing loss was part of my routine. This little ice breaking worked well and I quit letting my hair cover my hearing aids.

So I see a need to have bright color aids and say go for it.

Excellent point, and another factor to bolster my argument that I NEED the Monza Red version of my hearing aid that isn’t available through Costco. I just can’t justify thousands of dollars extra for that.

My wife has offered to paint them. The Facebook group “Pimp My Hearing Aids / Cochlear Implants” and some related websites have extensive info on how to ruin your HA’s with paints, and how not to.

Maybe your local body shop can paint them Candy Apple Red. :slight_smile:

Best way to paint them is buy an second HA case and practice on that one, this also allows you to paint into the areas where the mics are without flooding them with paint. Painting plastic isn’t like painting metal or wood; you can easily ruin the case if you don’t shoot a barrier down first to protect the plastic, even paints that are sold to paint plastics or plastic models can ruin the wrong type of plastic. Another thing to think about is you will probably void the warranty if you paint HA’s that are still covered. I know one guy that I see at the Home Depot painted his orange because he wanted people to see them and know he has hearing issues.

I dearly hope anyone thinking about painting the covers removes them and paint them well away from the guts. You best success will be to find someone that can air-brush them. Your AuD should have cover kits free or damn cheap they get them free.

I shave my head so letting all know I use aids is not needed. My Grand children always know when I am not wearing them and say something!:cool: I usually select black so they blend in with glasses. Once I left them in at work, which is a very noisy environment, and a fellow employee said “you’re wearing hearing aides!” and everyone looked at me as if I had a disease!

All the firemen I know today are required to wear noise suppressors while responding to a call. I have known a number of firemen who worked prior to this requirement and most of them wear HA’s today, so my guess is a number of your fellow employees will be following you with wearing HA’s.

Ah, you never know! Maybe you got those looks from everyone cuz folks had NO idea you even wore aids. And that would indicate that the aids you have are doing their job. That is a good thing! I also give everyone new in my circle the news that I wear aids, so if it seems I’m ignoring them, just come face me. After time, everyone forgets I even wear aids! I’ve had folks say, “Oh yeah, now I remember you saying you wore aids.” But then I do have hair long enough to cover them, and my Oticon OPN aids are completely invisible. The Oticon Agil Pros that I also wear are much more visible being ITE aids, but if conditions dictate that I need to wear them, I do.

It’s complicated: I need the OPN with soft domes to wear every morning when my ear canals are swollen; I like the Agil Pros for phone streaming, cuz they have a Streamer Pro device that works with my Android phone. Kind of like owning a Subaru Forester and Audi S5 for different purposes, I guess. (Altho I own neither myself!)

====================

Just for the record (and I am way late in posting a reply here!) I LOVE the idea of bright colors on ANYONE, ANY age! Lime or red - both very cool. I agree that silver, beige, pewter, blah blah blah! Folks don’t wear flesh-colored eyeglass frames that I’m aware of. So why should our aids not be a fashion statement in addition to the playful notice to others about wearing aids?

My aud-guy has never even asked me about color options when I order brand new aids. It seems that I get what he’s got on-hand. Once they were brown BTEs, now they are silver, and o’course my ITE aids are the standard flesh colored plastic hard case, cuz I am crazy-allergic to any other material I’ve tried in my ears - even so-called “hypo-allergenic”.

I have bright red Oticon Sensei (pediatric) HAs. Love them! My audiologist programmed them for adult hearing. Last pair were Unitron Moxis. Got them in blue but the factory changed them to ugly pink-brown when I sent them in under warranty. Finally got the light silver which was almost white. It is beyond belief to hear that Boomers are not embracing these as one more way to show how they have money to burn. A great status symbol if ever there was one.

In order to paint the cases, it seems to be advisable to remove the working parts first to avoid contamination. Does anyone know how to dismantle a Phonak Q with t-coil.
Thanks,