'Hear & Beyond: Live Skillfully with Hearing Loss,' by Shari Eberts and Gael Hannan

I suggest that if you are a user of your local public library you ask them to purchase this book. That way, it will be available to help many others who may borrow it and read it. I’m reading a library copy now, but will also buy one–then lend to people I know or may meet who have hearing loss.

3 Likes

Maybe it is the way that my hearing aid experience started. My first 3 sets of aids had only one program and no way to adjust the volume, I guess I got use to that concept. I will say that my first about 15 years of wearing aids weren’t as pleasant as the last about 5 years have been

2 Likes

You’re preachin’ to the choir!!! I’d only add that I’ve got about 15 years in between the first 15 years and the last 5 years to base my experiences on. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

@mystuart thats the official terminology we use if you have one CI and a HA.

Thanks to @cvkemp for the book recommendation. Just started reading it, looks interesting.

A minor warning is that the original Kindle couldn’t cope with it. For some reason bullet points and the writing after them are almost invisible. It works fine with Kindle App on the iPad though

2 Likes

I am using the Fire Tablet to.read it, my.old eyes needs all of the large print it can get

2 Likes

I like the idea of living “skillfully” as opposed to merely surviving!
I will have to check this book out!
Thank you!

3 Likes

Just ordered. Thanks for the recommendation. I’m on 6.5 years with hearing loss and believe most studies indicate it takes 7 years to fully accept. I’m finding myself bolder with what I need to hear better, but I’m sure this book will help me even more. $10 on kindle not bad.

2 Likes

I have been wearing aids for about 20 years, but was told I had some hearing loss back in January of 1977. I believe I may have have had some hearing loss as far back as my teens.

1 Like

This is an amazing book. I’m on my 3rd set of Phonaks…

I bought the iPad version first; I was scheduled to be in the jury pool for jury duty. (I appealed. Thanks to my audiologist–I was excused from Jury Duty.

Along the way I had second thoughts about taking my iPad tothe courthouse. I bought the paperback book from Amazon.

I’m learning something with every page! It’s caused a MindShift. I no longer complain about my hearing problems. I’m working on improving communication.

Book is highly recommended.

2 Likes

I saw this a few days ago and bought the book. I’m half way through it and love it. I just want to thank you for putting this up. I’ve been wearing hearing aids since 2012. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Can I get this book as a real book, not in kindle?

Yes from a number of places including Amazon

1 Like

Thank you,I think I need it ha

It’s a wonderful book. I bought the paperback from amazon when I thought I was going to be in the Jury pool for selection.

edit: everyone learns differently. I had bought the kindle version but it didn’t suit me. I learn better with a book in my hands, and have a chance to mark it up.

DaveL

2 Likes

I just saw my audiologist, who has been most helpful

Took this book and showed it to him. Recommended it to him.

DaveL

edit: I saw him after using my Phonak Audeo P90R’s for a year. I’ve had issues with word recognition. New hearing test; He completely set up my hearing aids. I’m happy! They’re working much better now. So far my only request would be to change volume. He’s wonderful. Helpful and skilled.

DaveL
Toronto

2 Likes

Thanks for your post.

The hearing industry has a long way to go. The marketing sucks. We aren’t the customer. The hearing professional is.

This reminds me of the horrible service provided to people with sleep apnea. 25 % of those diagnosed quit after they get equipment; it’s a manufactured illness with no one paying attention.

DaveL
Toronto

ps after a year of use, I’ve now seen real change and improvement with my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90’s.

Finally, many veterans have real hearing issues. They get to enjoy this hearing correction system that serves…

3 Likes

I got the book on my Kindle app and it’s been very helpful. Practical and specific.
Thanks again.

1 Like

The book taught me that I was reacting as a “victim” with hearing loss. And showed me tools to use so I can communicate better!
It’s amazing and very helpful.

DaveL

Thanks for introducing me to the book. I’ve read it cover to cover and now use it as a reference.

I bought the digital book…

Then when I thought I was going to be called for jury selection, I bought the book itself. It’s a wonderful investment.

Thanks!