Headset with hearing aids

Anyone had experience/ knowledge of a headset to use on top of your hearing aids to protect against further hearing loss?
While the aids will help with current hearing loss, am interested in preserving the functionality I have when I am subject to noise in a loud environment. Thanks.

I would say you need something like the sound protection that shooters us at the range. I use them when shooting and while using a blower to remove leaves.

My son works with extremely loud equipment. His truck has a second engine in it and when that is wide open I don’t even like being on the property. He uses 3m peltor headset. Lists st $450. He has a backup set, I know it is 3m, but I don’t know more than that. They are both BT headsets with boom mic and controls on the shells of the cups. He can be on the phone next to the truck wide open and talk. I’m not going to say you don’t hear anything at the other end, but it works. They are comfortable and he wears them a lot, much of the work day.

He looks at my hearing loss and knows he’ll probably suffer the genetic loss too, but he doesn’t want to give any more up to environmental exposure than he has too.

WH

2 Likes

Another vote for 3M Peltor. I need a behind-the-head model so I can wear a face shield in addition to the hearing protection (3M PELTOR Optime 105 Earmuffs H10B, Behind-the-Head, about $41 on Amazon). No issues with feedback from my Phonak L90 aids. Very comfortable even when it’s hot. And it’s pretty cool to listen to streamed audio while machinery is screaming nearby.

1 Like

I use a more low-tech and low-visibility approach when I perform music in electric rock bands. I keep my HAs in, but I also use a pair of Etymotic earplugs (around $20) along with the HAs.

I turn the HAs all the way down so they are muted, and then raise the volume by just a couple of clicks to achieve a more natural sound. This wouldn’t work if you were using custom molds rather than domes.

Etymotic also makes earplugs for shooting sports. They also make electronic earplugs with adjustable levels of hearing protection. Just a suggestion.

There isn’t anyway i can use ear plugs while wearing my aids.

1 Like