Headphones that boost certain frequencies for use also as hearing aids?

I just had a hearing exam today, and it looks like my hearing is normal except for a small area in the high spectrum. The audiologist recommended ONLY using open ear aids because I wouldn’t want the rest of the spectrum that my hearing is normal in amplified.

For that he recommended Beltone open ear hearing aids that were about $5K. First of all, are there any comments on these?

But secondly I was wondering if there are any headphones that could boost very specific spectrums (like the one I’m missing) resulting in a more true to life audio experience when listening to music. I know there are equalizers, but I was looking for something thats more finely honed to be frequency specific.

Does anyone know of a product like this?

I have not seen any good products that can just raise the high pitches and not over amplify the low tones. Most headphones just raise all frequencies and are usually designed for music and not just speech ranges.

For your type of hearing loss, most audi’s will recommend open fit hearing aids, yet as you found out, they can be quite costly and range from about $4,000 to $7,000 on the high end.

If you wanted to try a less pricey alternative, give www.myhearpod.coma try.

I have personally tested them and found them to be a very inexpensive and comprable unit to what you were offered.

If you want a higher end open fit aid, I would suggest the Sonic Innovations Ion or Phonak Eleva or Micro Savia over the Beltone instruments.

Let us know how your journey with hearing aids go.

Why would you recommend the units you mention over the Beltone? Performance, Durability, Price, Features, what exactly? Thanks, I’m obviously just getting started in all this. One thing I liked about the Beltone was that it was almost impossible to notice once it was in the ear - though I’m sure there are tradeoffs needed to get to that form factor.

BTW, do you happen to know whether it’s possible just to boost certain frequencies with the hearpod?

Just to be clear, I am not saying that the Beltones are no good. They are also very good instruments and are nice and small and very comfortable.

I just like using the other brands, as they offer a little more in performance, better pricing to the consumer and great durability.

All open fit digital hearing aids, including the HearPod can be custom programmed to just amplify certain frequency ranges. In fact, the natural design of open fit instruments amplifies the high pitches and bleeds out the low tones and allow you to hear low tones naturally.

So although some instruments may be slightly better than another, any digital open fit hearing aid is better than most top of the line solutions just a few years ago, so it is a good timing for you.

The HearPod III’s are so much less expensive than the others I’m wondering what you’re giving up to use them? Is the sound quality not quite as good? Not as discreet looking/cosmetics? Not as durable? Any idea or experience with them?

Again my hearing isn’t THAT terrible, just some upper frequency damage. So paying $10K for 2 Beltone seems a bit extreme though I’m sure it would help.

In fact since I had the test I now listen to music putting the second to the right EQ bar (upper mid range/lower treble) up a few notches and am shocked at how much clearer and less veiled the music sounds. (to give an idea of the extent of the damage).

I can see your point in not wanting to spend so much for a mild hearing loss.

I think if you go with the HearPod, what you would lose would be the one on one personal attention from your local professional. Some people are more independent than others, particularly when they can save a lot of money.

Check with them to make sure they have a trial period and if they do, why not give it a try.

Here is a post from one of our users you may want to take a look at: http://www.hearingaidforums.com/showthread.php?p=280#post280