Headphone and Hearing Aids

I asked this in another post but didn’t get a bit.

Ever since iOS14 (I think) on the iPhones. I find it very difficult to clearly hear music. I feel it is over compressed on Bluetooth audio. I’m an X DJ of 10 years from back in the mid 80’s to mid 90’s (long before I became a religious brother, and not the cause of going deaf), and I really miss my music.

I’m on my third generation of BTE Naida Paradise 90-UP 675’s

From the other discussion about flying with HA’s, a few mentioned using headphone. But the problem I have is dealing with the feedback with the Headphone on.

So, questions:

• How are you coping?

• What are your / Do you have specific setting?

I think I am also heading towards cochlear, will this still be possible?

Thanks in advance for any opinions and advice.

@BrBarry: The sense I got from your other thread was that most of us who wear “cans” don’t get feedback because they are cupped large enough to fit over the microphones on the HAs.

So, in that sense, I think your question has been answered - feedback isn’t an issue for most of us…

2 Likes

Do you have a music program on your hearing aids? HA are programmed to emphasize speech, which is in a narrower band than music. So if you haven’t already tried that, it might help.

Some musicians have reported just using BT headphones without their hearing aids for music. I think if you search music on this forum, you will find threads that might answer your question.

1 Like

With my More1 aids and my custom ear molds I can cup my hands directly over my ears and aids and not get feedback. The first aids in 18 years that has been possible.

2 Likes

I’m bimodal, HA-Resound Enzo and CI- N7. I use Bose quiet comfort headphone when traveling by plane. I don’t have any issues with feedback from my aid. It’s technically impossible to get feedback from the CI.

Probably more need to ask the question to those who are more my end of the hearing capacity, but not yet on CI’s.
For me, even putting a hat on causes feedback, because I’m pushing the boundaries of the capacity of the HA’s can do.

I never wear my hearing aids when using hearing aids. The domes or molds block any advantage of hearing the sound. Much like using ear plugs. The best quality headphones and no hearing aids work best for me.

My ear moulds have no vents but as my headphones go over my BTE Aids as well. I can hear when using headphones.

I am beyond the ability of any headphone to produce enough sound for me to hear. It’s been nearly 10 years since I was last able to use headphone without HA’s

2 Likes

My brother did the same before getting the phonak Naida UP and the phonak TV connector.
He used to put Sennheiser CX 180 over his oticon Acto/Agil pro so he can hear the TV.
Now with the Naida UP and the the TV connector it is much better.

@Baltazard

@BrBarry wants to hear music better rather then the TV :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, I can ok with the TV and even streaming movies from my iPad straight in, but Bluetooth music from my iPhone is horrible.

Yeah, same era for music and DJing for me. I feel your pain.

I find I always get feedback wearing BTEs and headphones, even where they are large cupped. The BTEs also cut off (volume limit) very easily. I don’t have Bluetooth BTEs, so can’t comment on that.

When listening to music I use in-the-canal aids with plenty of volume. Those old tracks don’t sound anywhere near as good as they did 30 years ago though!

1 Like

for me this is one of the most upsetting aspects of losing my hearing.
All music sounds awful to me now regardless of which program I select.

I must be really weird bc I’ve never had a music program and quite happily use any program to listen to music. It all sounds the same.

I was born deaf so I don’t know what I’m missing, I guess?

1 Like

I guess that’s a subtle way of saying we shouldn’t be whinging. :wink: :peace_symbol:

Maybe. For people who loved music and/or worked in music, it is akin to a person who has to stop their
sports hobby because their body can’t do it anymore. Not to be taken lightly in my opinion.

1 Like

That’s interesting. When I have tried over ear cans without HAs the sound always muddy compared with keeping the HAs in. But keeping HAs in usually creates feedback. Any more thoughts? Which headphones do you use?

I agree. The loss of hearing is hardest to take when trying to listen to music you once loved. I do find that psychologically it’s better to listen to music you are familiar with. Perhaps the brain helps you to “hear” more acutely than your ears are actually capable of. (I hope that made sense.) I will add that ipod pro’s are capable of being programmed to your hearing loss. Not as effectively as actual hearing aids but I seem to enjoy them more than listening with hearing aids…even with over the ears headphones and no feedback. Of course, once you are using the iPods and no hearing aids you’re semi-“checked out” from the rest of the world. Sometimes that’s ok. Sometimes not.

By the way. If you look at my Audiogram, there is no option for me to not wear HA’s and listening to music.
TIC, I haven’t found any headphone with the volume output of an aircraft engine. :laughing:

1 Like