Have You Listed Hearing Loss as a Medical Condition in Your Phone's Emergency Response Info?

I’d like to suggest if you haven’t done so, it might be a good idea to list the extent of your hearing loss, especially if severe or profound, as a medical condition in your phone’s emergency response information. How you list emergency response/medical information may vary according to phone manufacturer/OS version. Or perhaps you just carry a card in your wallet. However, if you’re asleep in bed when something happens, you may not have your HA’s in or be carrying your wallet, especially if you end up finally living alone at home at an advanced age.

In the good old days before emergency calling and health monitoring became so incorporated into modern cell phones, I was taught to make a contact entry (before lock screens and passcodes, too, I guess!) under ICE (for “In Case of Emergency”) and told that first responders were trained to look up ICE contacts. So I have ICE contacts for wife and nearest daughter as in ICE (wife name & contact info) and ICE (daughter name and contact info) in my contact list as well as filling out the Apple Health app Medical ID info that provides for personal info, medical conditions, and emergency contacts as well). There has been some discussion of emergency response/medical ID info in the social section of this forum: I guess I’m officially an old person.

But it seems like a good idea to list the extent of your hearing loss. If nothing else, if you have totally ITE devices, at least medical personnel might eventually think about removing your expensive devices from your ears to preserve them, after they’ve preserved your life, if possible.

3 Likes

In IOS, these settings can be found by going to:
Settings>Emergency SOS>EditEmergency Contacts in Health.

There you list your medical data such as height, weight, medications, emergency contacts, allergic drugs, medical conditions

There are also settings that allow the data to be shared when the phone is locked and automatically notify your emergency contact(s) when you call 911.

If you press and hold the power button, the emergency contact screen comes up. If you repeatedly press the power button, it dials 911 automatically. I know because I did it when I thought I was on the volume button.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if android phones has this setting ?
I cannot find it.
Thanx
Laura

Straight from Google. It says at the beginning of the article that some of the steps only work on Android 10 and above (probably showing medical info on the lock screen, for example):

Get help in an emergency using your Android phone - Android Help (google.com)

1 Like

Got it.
Thank You Jim

Considering how everything on your phone can be hacked these days the last think I want to do is make more personal information available

Hass - I get that but it is also a case of whether a person helping you in an emergency has enough info. Personally I figure knowing I’m HoH to be the least of the things I’d worry about. I’m going to add that now as a matter of fact :slight_smile:

Remember the Medical Alert Tags they used to sell? (bet they still do) They are always with you, easy and quick to read .
Who knows where your phone ends up if you are hit by a car,
or maybe you get crushed and trampled by the crowd attending a Bon Jovi concert (or rolled over by thousands of walkers and motorized wheelchairs) and get your screen crushed beyond legibility.
And then there’s dead batteries.
I just may get a tat on my chest “In Case Of Emergency Get :beer:

1 Like

I’ve got this. I’ve worn one since I was 8 years old, due to a rare condition. Here in the UK, they sell them. They are known as Medic Alerts.

Something I read a while ago regarding the medical alert bracelets. If emergency service finds one their main concerns are blood type, underlying medical problem and allergies to meds. Next of kin hoh etc is irrelevant until much later. Just saying.

I wear my Apple Watch 24x7 except when charging. There is always the danger it will be destroyed somehow but I think most things that will destroy a rugged smartwatch these days will also destroy you - an airbag explosion that shoots the bones of your forearm through your chest or into your face because you were crossing your arms over the steering wheel at the point of impact, etc. A medical alert bracelet is certainly a good idea but having information that you want known available on a smartphone or watch could be helpful and is probably a lot easier and cheaper and faster to update than a Medical Alert tag or bracelet - so there’s probably a lot less inertia for many folks to implement the watch/phone info, at least for starters.

1 Like

just did that along with my heart condition! (I even downloaded an app I just found on a website and created an account there so I can be connected with my boyfriend’s school and emergency services in case my visits with him cuts short and requires going to the hospital too*

1 Like

That’s great advice,

Many cyclists use wristband IDs: https://www.roadid.com/

Jim

2 Likes

Yes I have this listed in my IOS emergency info. Especially as I have a CI that’s not MRI compatible.

1 Like

If I’m awake then the first words out of my mouth are I’m deaf. If I’m not awake or incoherent then I guess it doesn’t matter

Just remembered this - when a person appears to be in distress - either laying on the ground or holdong his neck w/ crossed hands, EMS and people with any First Aid Training, are taught to shout “Sir, are you OK?” You don’t answer and they mighy initiate CPR.
I point this out because if you take a nap on a park bench w/o your HA’s you might wake up with a few broken ribs and a burly guy giving you mouth to mouth. Hopefully he’ll ne an ambulance driver.

3 Likes

If I take a nap without my aids, and if I wake up on a park bench I better first check for my wallet. I’d also like to think that ems checks for vitals before they just start pounding on my chest

2 Likes